Question 2000 Cobra 201D Lid Support Pistons

The pistons on the compartment lids for my Cobra are getting weak and before they close on a rod tip or my fingers, I'd like to replace them. Original part # is SPD-GS-5200-20, 20 lbs of force & 17" long extended. Those don't seem to exist anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for a source, or have you used the 30 lb piston as as substitute? The 30 lb pistons are readily available, but I don't need compartment lids popping open unexpectedly

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JD

2. Member
    Got mine at Auto Zone. They have a good selection and reasonably priced. If you get one too strong or weak they will trade you for the correct one.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

4. Member
    I bought mine at advance auto parts. Cost like $25 each maybe a bit less.

5. Member
    I measured mine and ordered 3 on ebay for 7$ ea.
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

6. Member
    Thanks to all. I'll let you know what I find.

7. Member
    Go to auto zone and check their catalog that is right there with the pistons. You can find just what you need by length and poundage. Don't go too big as that is as bad as too light. You can purchase there or cross reference and order them.

8. Member
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. Just to close this out........ No one had the 20 lb supports in an appropriate length, so I ended up getting getting the 30 pound supports from Amazon. They worked with no issues, fitting right on the factory studs from the old pistons. Pkg of 4 pistons ran $53. Only needed 3, but cheaper to buy the set than 3 individually and now I have a spare!

9. Member
    Amazon link for those of us who also need this please?

10. Member
    I just put two 40lb lift supports on the two large lockers on my 1997 201D. 40lbs is plenty to keep the lid up in heavy wind but if you close the lid over half way and let go they will drop into the closed position. That way they will never pop open on their own. IMHO that is about the right strength without putting too much pressure on the mounting hardware. They are 17" fully extended and 10.25" fully closed. I bought 2 lift supports on eBay for $20.