Portage lakes was hot

I managed to get to portage lakes fri during the last warm day. Started off slow till i figured out a few things..found 52 deg water and it got exciting. We boated 22 bass in just a few hrs..a friend was also out and he landed what he thinks was a 15# limit..come on warm weather, come back!

2. Member
    I saw your video.....you need to stay behind the camera from now on.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

3. Member
    That's awesome I've never fished this time of year but I'm going to now. I hear you have to fish really slow. I don't care. Just want to get out there.
    1999 pro craft 200 super pro 200hp Mercury EFI 25p trophy plus, worked by mark. large vents. 25 gallon gas one full live well two guys and gear wot 66.2 5900 rpm

4. Member
    I had fun with those pics..and its ohio, the bass play by different rules here..i was catching bass in less than a foot of water. They wouldnt hit a slow bait, you had to get a reaction bite..but im sure water temps have dropped back to low 40 now. I had 51 that day.

5. Member
    Wow that is awesome. I fish salt fork a lot I have seen 45° That it so far.
    1999 pro craft 200 super pro 200hp Mercury EFI 25p trophy plus, worked by mark. large vents. 25 gallon gas one full live well two guys and gear wot 66.2 5900 rpm

6. Member
    Didn't realize Ohio bass acted differently. Think I can use that same philosophy at salt fork. Find the warmest shallow water?

7. Member
    Salt fork....ugh. I can't stand that lake.........
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

8. Member
    Yeah its a tuff lake.

9. Member
    What lake do you like to fish?

10. Member
    Yes, find the warmest, cleanest water is always a good starting point on salt fork, tappan, portage, seneca and so on. Protected coves with rock. Start on main point and fish all the way back till you cant go any further. This time of yr. Some will be shockingly shallow and some still deep. The shallow bass are more likely to bite better. The plus side is, once you find them and temps stay consistent, you will have a spot that will reload till the spawn. So keep it secret..loose lips, sink ships..lol

11. Member
    Awesome. Yupp lips sealed. I fished salt fork yesterday 39° water temp. All we caught was a muskie and a crappie. The bait fish were all around the creek channel. It was crazy. Didn't seem that any thing was out there with them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchydean View Post
    What lake do you like to fish?

I mostly fish Portage, since I live like 15min from there. But I do go all over......just hate Salt Fork. Used to have a camper down there years ago and fished it every weekend, all summer long.......then they had the problem with the dam, and I don't think that lake has been good ever since.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

13. Banned
    I think the Muskie and the damn has a lot to do with the poor fishing at Salt Fork. How do you like the new boat Scott. It looks awesome.

14. Member
    Yeah and they keep dumping more Muskie in there every year. I need to fish portage more. Only live 25min from it.

15. Member
    I absolutely LOVE my Triton! I wish I'd have made this jump years ago.......it fishes like a dream and scoots too!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

16. Member
    Anyone fishing the Portage Big Bass open this Sunday - or the KSU Bass club tourney at Mosquito on April 22nd? I'll be there fishing both......
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

17. Banned
    I have been throwing a buzzbait at Seneca and Salt Fork. Not much luck. Salt Fork is muddy to stained at the dam. Put in at Morning Glory and fish at that end of the lake.

18. Member
    I try to avoid Salt Fork like my ex wife.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

19. Member
    Never tried top water this early at salt fork. They caught some big one last weekend in two different tournaments a couple 5 plus and a 6 plus. Only 50% of the feilds weighed fish though. I am fishing a open at salt fork on the 29. Fishgcba.net Gonna go there and soon to check out the lake conditions. Been a couple weeks since I've been there. Portage was good to me Friday before work. 3.5 hours caught six lost two. Biggest was 3.8 water temp 56. Female are moving up.