System Link Speedo

I am installing a system link speedometer and have a couple questions. The part number of the Mercury speedometer is 79-8M0052874. I plugged it into one of the system link plugs coming off the Level 1 MercMonitor. I think that a back light in the gauge should light up when the key switch turned on like the MercMonitor does. This is the first system link gauge I have installed. Does the terminator from the system link plug plug on the other cable coming off the gauge?? My GPS speed is shown on the MercMonitor. I have not had the boat on the lake to see if the speedometer register speed. Thought the gauge back light should turn on with the key switch? Do I have the right system link speedometer?? The other question is where is the best place to plug the tubing supplying water pressure to the old gauge?
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This System Link Speedo should work fine. Just make sure it is plugged into the System Link connector on the BLACK MERCMONITOR HARNESS (and NOT to any plug dangling from a blue data cable).

Should backlight with the keyswitch.

Move your Pitot tubing back to the original Pitot Sender (down below the starter- inside the cowling) to stop the flow of pitot pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Don. Yep I had it hooked to the systems link plug on the blue cable swapped it to the black cable and it works. What is the system link plug on the blue cable for?? Thought a systems link plug labeled as such would work. Also found the Pitot sender and got that taken care of.. Thanks again for the info....
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do not attempt to use any of the smaller leads on the blue data cable. Those were utilized when cable was paired with OLDER "System" instruments (where the cable would or could plug directly into the back of the gauge).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor