Bought a Ruger LCRx

Bought a Ruger LCRx .38 today for $300 from an individual. It is a snub nose. I bought one without the exposed hammer for my mother in law a few years ago and it shot pretty well.

I have been wanting the 3" barrel version of the Ruger LCRx on .38 because it gas an adjustable sight and larger grip. Does anyone own one of these or have you shot one? If so, what do you think?

2. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Bought a Ruger LCRx .38 today for $300 from an individual. It is a snub nose. I bought one without the exposed hammer for my mother in law a few years ago and it shot pretty well.

I have been wanting the 3" barrel version of the Ruger LCRx on .38 because it gas an adjustable sight and larger grip. Does anyone own one of these or have you shot one? If so, what do you think?
    Bought an LCR and LCRX3 yesterday at a gun show from a dealer based out of Dickson. Best price I'd seen on either so I scooped 'em both up. I've had my eye on the 3" LCRx for a while. Just got it, but haven't shot it. I like the larger grip, the sights and how freakin' light it is. Will update after I go to the range.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    Bought an LCR and LCRX3 yesterday at a gun show from a dealer based out of Dickson. Best price I'd seen on either so I scooped 'em both up. I've had my eye on the 3" LCRx for a while. Just got it, but haven't shot it. I like the larger grip, the sights and how freakin' light it is. Will update after I go to the range.
    Thanks, I have always been around guns and have always been a hunter. I wouldn't really call myself a shooter though, so that is why I wanted the simplicity of a revolver. I like the smoother trigger pull of the LCR series.

Have had both! Bought the wife an LCR and she loved it. Because of her massive size she is more comfortable shooting single action so we wound up getting an LCRx in 38+P and a laser. Absolutely perfect for a woman not brought up around firearms and very diminutive in size. I love it too but I want more punch and rounds on hand.
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

5. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post

Ok, finally got to shoot the LCR and LCRx3. First, I love the LCR. It's a great little gun. It feels good in your hand and shoots as expected. For close-up self defense, I believe it will be very effective. The trigger pull is smooth and breaks when you expect. It is easy to get accustomed and you'll have five slugs down range quickly. Wrist snap/recoil is noticeable but expected; however, it's very tolerable for a few rounds at the range. Don't over do it like I did, I shot close to 100 rounds last night between the LCR and LCRx3 and have a sore wrist to prove it.

My wife shot the LCR 38 last night. First time she's ever shot any gun in her life. After she shot a 5-10 rounds to get the feel of the gun and the aim, she put five through the target's center mass at 15 feet.

Me on the other hand, had a time getting bulls-eye hits with the LCRx3. It is the same gun as the LCR so trigger and function is the same. Right out of the box, the sights were off (or were they and I messed with it?). The rear sight is adjustable and I had to experiment with it to get it centered at 15-20 feet. At first, I was shooting low and to the left. After adjusting the rear sight, I was shooting high and to the right. I need to do a little homework on aligning the rear sight, go back to the range when I have more time, slow down, and get the LCRx3 sights like I want. Once I get it sighted in, it will be a blast to shoot. The LCRx3 feels good with the longer grip and I shot some extremely, super tight groups with it (better than I can do with my 9mm or 1911).

The LCRx3 may not be a conceal carry gun due to the longer barrel and big rubber grip unless you want to wear it on on your waist under a shirt or jacket. It is a very light weight gun considering the visual size is larger than the LCR. I can't tell the difference in weight between the two. Both LCR and LCRx3 shoot +P and no restrictions on bullet grain size that I'm aware. Why did I get one? I wanted one, no other reason.

To sum up:

LCR 38+P: Love it.
    LCRx3 38+P: Really, really, really like it alot, will love shooting it when I get that dang rear sight adjusted.

FYI, the angle of the photo is more centered on the LCR and doesn't accurately show the grip on the LCRx3 is a tad longer.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    Ok, finally got to shoot the LCR and LCRx3. First, I love the LCR. It's a great little gun. It feels good in your hand and shoots as expected. For close-up self defense, I believe it will be very effective. The trigger pull is smooth and breaks when you expect. It is easy to get accustomed and you'll have five slugs down range quickly. Wrist snap/recoil is noticeable but expected; however, it's very tolerable for a few rounds at the range. Don't over do it like I did, I shot close to 100 rounds last night between the LCR and LCRx3 and have a sore wrist to prove it.

My wife shot the LCR 38 last night. First time she's ever shot any gun in her life. After she shot a 5-10 rounds to get the feel of the gun and the aim, she put five through the target's center mass at 15 feet.

Me on the other hand, had a time getting bulls-eye hits with the LCRx3. It is the same gun as the LCR so trigger and function is the same. Right out of the box, the sights were off (or were they and I messed with it?). The rear sight is adjustable and I had to experiment with it to get it centered at 15-20 feet. At first, I was shooting low and to the left. After adjusting the rear sight, I was shooting high and to the right. I need to do a little homework on aligning the rear sight, go back to the range when I have more time, slow down, and get the LCRx3 sights like I want. Once I get it sighted in, it will be a blast to shoot. The LCRx3 feels good with the longer grip and I shot some extremely, super tight groups with it (better than I can do with my 9mm or 1911).

The LCRx3 may not be a conceal carry gun due to the longer barrel and big rubber grip unless you want to wear it on on your waist under a shirt or jacket. It is a very light weight gun considering the visual size is larger than the LCR. I can't tell the difference in weight between the two. Both LCR and LCRx3 shoot +P and no restrictions on bullet grain size that I'm aware. Why did I get one? I wanted one, no other reason.

To sum up:

LCR 38+P: Love it.
    LCRx3 38+P: Really, really, really like it alot, will love shooting it when I get that dang rear sight adjusted.

FYI, the angle of the photo is more centered on the LCR and doesn't accurately show the grip on the LCRx3 is a tad longer.
    Thanks for the review. I like the LCRx I bought. Not sure if I will buy myself a 3" LCRx or not. Glad I bought the short barreled one and I do like having the hammer.