Ratchet straps on the cover

Everywhere I go the cover is always on but man the ratchet straps can be a pita to unlock. Anybody have a secret? It doesn't matter where I go 30min to nearest lake it's always on i always catch a hard time from others. my truck has a 33" mud tire I try to keep as much dirt and grime off as possible.
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

2. Member
    They are tricky. On the right side you unlock them and pull hard on the ratchet. On the left side you unlock ratchet and pull hard on the strap. But easy once you know. Also sorry them down with silicone
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72

Do you fold the handle all the way back. It shouldn't be hard at all. Nothing really to them.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

I only loosen one side. When I tighten it, just pull the slack out and give it a few 'ratchets' until tight.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    when I open the ratchet all the way it releases on it own and like Hank said usually only need to do one side
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    I have the same problem, almost won’t release and the cover is brand new

Are you folding the handle all the way back? Make sure you pull most of the slack out before you tighten it up. If you dont you'll have too much strap in the ratchet and it could bind up.
    Jason

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Mine were sticking on both sides, a shot of WD-40 on each side of the gear and problem is gone

9. Member
    The wd-40 made them work like night and day. Couldn’t believe how easy they were after about spraying them and let sit for about 10 minutes

Jason

11. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    The wd-40 made them work like night and day. Couldn’t believe how easy they were after about spraying them and let sit for about 10 minutes
    Glad to hear it!

12. Member
    Water based spray silicone should help!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

13. Member
    I made the exact same post and actually detailed why I dislike the Phoenix cover - wasn't a popular post... I came very close to stitches because of these evil devils.

The fix I have found is pulling on the loop end HARD when you release them. This will help the mechanism from poping and grabbing your hand or in my case (web) into the gears.

14. Member
    The best cover I have ever towed with in 30 years of boat ownership and my straps unlock when pulled open all the way.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2 View Post
    The best cover I have ever towed with in 30 years of boat ownership and my straps unlock when pulled open all the way.
    X2 love my cover

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Teach View Post
    I made the exact same post and actually detailed why I dislike the Phoenix cover - wasn't a popular post... I came very close to stitches because of these evil devils.

The fix I have found is pulling on the loop end HARD when you release them. This will help the mechanism from poping and grabbing your hand or in my case (web) into the gears.
    This is my method as well. Does this mean we are over tightening?