Thread: What to do?

What to do?

I've got stocks and bonds with one of the major company's. it's been there since about 2005. Over all it's grown a good bit. Part of it is in IRA,s. Im almost embarrassed to say that I have not really studied and kept up with it as I should have, really just looked at the whole picture. To make this short the IRA,s have not grown much, in fact over the last four years three of them have lost money! With the big run the market has been on lately I just don't understand? I've told my advisor over the years to treat it like he would do his money. Don't see he would let his loose! Should I be upset with this? Is it time to make a change?
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I would at the very least have him explain to you what you are invested in and why you lost money. And if he doesn't give you an adequate answer then it's time to change. You should understand what you are invested in, and that should be dictated, in part by your age and how close to retirement. My Aunt is retired and hasn't done very well recently, because she is 20% stocks and the rest in bonds and similar. So of course she's a little disappointed.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    In my account there are six groups. I'm 62 and do have a majority of bonds but the IRAs are all bonds at the time. They have not always been that way, less than a year. Should I have a mix of stocks/ bonds in each part? Say 70/30?
    Thanks
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

Bond prices move down when interest rates rise. They haven't risen much lately, but enough to cause some bond funds to lose value. Sounds like your advisor has moved you into bonds which might be a conservative approach which he is taking considering your age. Anyway, as Boneil says, you should have a talk with him.