Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Well...the saga continues. New timing wheel won't be here until tomorrow, so decided to go ahead and replace the water pump today. All was going great until I went to install the starboard fore bolt on the water pump housing...the bolt hole is stripped. So...now I guess I have one of 3 choices:

1. Drill and tap the hole for a size larger bolt;
    2. Install a helicoil;
    3. Take it to a machine shop and them repair it, which would probably be option 2 above. I have never tapped aluminum, and have never installed a helicoil.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have a machine shop do it. You'll buy a kit and never use it again.

3. Member
    I went option #1. Everything worked out just fine. Used a 5/16x18 bolt. All is reassembled and ready for the timing wheel to get here.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Tada!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I went option #1. Everything worked out just fine. Used a 5/16x18 bolt. All is reassembled and ready for the timing wheel to get here.
    Yes sir! They can finagle in Arkansas. ChampioNman is the top gun finagler on this forum. He has finagles that he hasn't used yet.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Yes sir! They can finagle in Arkansas. ChampioNman is the top gun finagler on this forum. He has finagles that he hasn't used yet.
    When you live out in the sticks, finagling is a way of life!

Now it looks like the timing wheel won't arrive until tomorrow...something about a UPS delay.

7. Member
    SUCCESS!!!!!!. Boat is up and running. Got the timing wheel in around 4:30 and installed it. Primed the fuel, and it fired right up. Good stream of water coming out of the pee hole so it appears the new water pump is doing its job. a BIG thanks to all for your advice and support. Anxious to get the boat out on the water to really test things out. The tachometer is still not working right, even after adjusting the adjustment screw on the back. Need to finagle around with that some more. It reads around 7200 rpm at idle.

THANKS TO ALL!

8. Member
    I feel like I've seen this thread on here for over a month now, I've been pulling for you congrats on getting it running again!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGreavster View Post
    I feel like I've seen this thread on here for over a month now, I've been pulling for you congrats on getting it running again!
    Thank you Sir!

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

11. Member
    Good job Tom.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the voltage on the back of the tach between the gray wire and ground. Set your meter on AC volts and start the motor. Should be at least 6 V AC.Pole setting on the switch on the back should be set to 6.

Glad you got it running.

13. Member
    Your service manual has a very good section on how to check out the tach and voltage regulator.

14. Member
    Thanks Gents. Will check the voltage and the manual and figure out what the dealio is.

Thanks again!

Tom

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Check the voltage on the back of the tach between the gray wire and ground. Set your meter on AC volts and start the motor. Should be at least 6 V AC.Pole setting on the switch on the back should be set to 6.

Glad you got it running.
    Thanks ChampioNman. I fiddled around with the tach some this afternoon and think I have it working. This tach only goes up to 5...it has 1 - 5 listed around the adjustment switch, but no "6". Anyhow, it seems to be working OK on setting 5.

One thing I noticed while running the motor on muffs...there was water coming out of the flush connecter in the back. I have never noticed that before. Is that normal?

Thanks

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Did you lose the gasket or o-ring off the pisser?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Did you lose the gasket or o-ring off the pisser?
    Not sure what you are asking. There is a strong stream of water coming out of what I call the "pee hole", and the other places it is supposed to come out of. Have never seen it come out of the flush connector. Maybe it just needs to be tightened?

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    When you take that plastic nut off, the pisser is behind it....it is flat on the back side, should be an o-ring behind it...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    When you take that plastic nut off, the pisser is behind it....it is flat on the back side, should be an o-ring behind it...
    Ah...I follow you now. Will check that and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Member
    Did you ever figure out what the main culprit was? Or was is just a series of stuff? Been following glad you got her running.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast