Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stacking jackplates.

I posted this in the allison section also. Is it safe or ok to bolt a 5 or 6" plate to a 9"?

2. Member
    Sounds like a really bad idea. Beyond the extra set of bolts to fail, 15" of setback seems like an awful lot of stress on the transom.

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    It just seems to me its an accident waiting to happen. Not sure why you would want to do that anyway. I really doubt 15" of setback would help any bassboat.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Banned

5. Member
    The optimal setback for my boat is 14".

my first Allison was a 2003--- when ordered it came from the factory with a hydraulic j-plate and a spacer to make a total of 14"
    my second Allison is an XB21 it also came from the factory with a J-plate and spacer but with less total setback..

PS they both came with 6 bolts each at the transom and between plates.

15" setback outta pop any boat up on plane in a flat second. The leverage would be huge, but the transom is going to have all that leverage torqued on it. Stacking them seems like a bad idea to me, but I would talk with a qualified mechanic first for sure.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

8. Member
    Why not talk to Allison? (factory)

On the Allison boat the OP is talking about the set back is more to get the prop back in clean water when running flat out.

10. Member
    I went to the plant and talked with them. Thats how I know the best set back for my boat is 14".

No problem on a quality boat like that. Be sure to use 6 very good bolts between. To those who may not know that boat most likely has the strongest transom ever put on a bassboat. It is made of stainless steel and kevlar. 14" setback is normal on a high quality boat. Dont try it on most! Allison stacks all their plates if they use a hydraulic so its not uncommon. I used a 5.5 cmc allison hydraulic and 8" allison setback brackets with a 280 for years

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    My 21 allison has them stacked also. A 2.5" static plate and a 6" hydraulic if i remember correctly.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

13. Member
    Mine has a 14" plate as well, not really sure why people would think that is too much. I probably would not try stacking the plates though, just get a hydrodynamics plate and be done with it.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

I can't speak for all boats--- However there is a reason the Allisons come from the factory with stacked plates.
    The static plate which is mounted against the transom is angled. Here is a good explanation for why.

The reason for the angle spacers between the boat and jack plate is to raise the jack plate as it moves back away from the transom.
    Due to the angle of the transom, the more set back that is added the lower the rear of the plate becomes.
    Some jack plates angle up while others are basically straight back so you have to run the plates higher or they may not go up high enough at all without the angled set back spacers.

Set back and the stackin plates shouldn't be an issue at all....Stokers stack em all the time. Hard to believe some folks think 14"s or so of set back is too much. If you own a Bullet you're runnin 12 to 16"s.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Some mfrs limit you on jackplate size crank. Their transoms cant handle the added leverage big setback causes

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Set back and the stackin plates shouldn't be an issue at all....Stokers stack em all the time. Hard to believe some folks think 14"s or so of set back is too much. If you own a Bullet you're runnin 12 to 16"s.
    Yep the guys over on the Stroker boats forum do it all the time.

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Yea with the right bolts. The Atlas is a 5-6 inch plate with a spacer. A spacer would be cheaper than a plate though.

As long as the transom will support it. A 2.5 merchant is a big different than a 4 stroke.

I've seen guys running performance hulls like yours post about rigging and running a 10" manual plate to a 5-6" hydraulic plate but if it were my boat I'd shott for one plate and as few connections as possible. Just get a 14" rapid jack and call it a day.

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    More cow bell is right, buy a good 14 inch and sell what you have on the boat now for optimum set up!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast