USA General opinions on Yamalube oil?

Some guys say it's great while others say it doesn't burn clean and it's dirty too rich type of oil. Will be running a new to me Yamaha 225 3.1 liter OX66 Hp - wondering if I should use some other type of oil or stick with the Yamalube and ring free combo and go from there ?
    Thanks,
    Creek

2. Member
    Three things one can not discuss rationally, Religion, politics and outboard motor oil. In reality any good brand TCW3 oil will be sufficient. I run a 33 year old Yamaha 90 on Quicksilver Premium Plus. Would Yamalube been as good? I figure yes. Would Pennzoil PP? Yes. I know of people who have run Super Tech for years. The thing is.....One must run what oil that gives THEM peace of mind. If one is a 'run the manufacture's oil' person and they are running something else and the engine blows, they are really kicking themselves.

What I want to know is what oil does a reputable engine re-builder recommend to warranty his work.

3. Member
    Run Pennzoil XLF or premium plus (whichever is cheaper when I need to buy some) in my HPDI. Used to run yamalube but it seemed to smoke more and foul plugs more often. Pennzoil seems to keep plugs in better shape and have had zero issues. Know several folks that quit running yamalube.

4. Member
    I switched from yamalube to amsoil hp in my 250hpdi last spring. I never had the major carbon build up problems some people seem to have (always run ring free), but I can notice a pretty big difference with the amsoil. Smokes less, plugs look much better, and I can get it cheaper than the yamalube. Ultimately I believe either will do the job just fine. Run the ring free regardless, and maybe a yearly decarb. However, my motor is out of warranty. If it was still covered, I'd run whatever Yamaha calls for!

I got away from Yamalube in my old boat and never had a lick of trouble. I was running Citgo oil when I traded it in and had been for years. Motor was checked by mechanic at trade in and was in tip top shape.

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Yamalube definitely leaves more carbon buildup than most. Amsoil is a great option for that motor. Either way, I would definitely use ringfree.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Member
    I changed to Pennzoil Full Synthetic.....and glad I did.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

8. Member
    I always ran Amsoil in my Yamaha 2S and not one failure.

9. Member
    Had an 03 225hp ox66 on my Stratos. COULD NOT keep it running with the Yamalube. Always ran Ringfree as directed, but it was constantly carboning up the o2 sensor. Switched to Amsoil HP Injector oil and NEVER had the problem again. I was having to clean the o2 sensor every other week prior to the switch. Just my experience....
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob20 View Post
    Had an 03 225hp ox66 on my Stratos. COULD NOT keep it running with the Yamalube. Always ran Ringfree as directed, but it was constantly carboning up the o2 sensor. Switched to Amsoil HP Injector oil and NEVER had the problem again. I was having to clean the o2 sensor every other week prior to the switch. Just my experience....
    Can you tell me how you cleaned it? My buddy bought a Champ yesterday with an '01 225 OX66. I would like to pass the info along.
    Thanks!
    Champion 206
    250XB

11. Member
    After a 10 hr break in on my old 225 hpdi, I switched to Amsoil injector HP. Ran it 5 years with 0 issues and it ran so much cleaner
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Member
    On that motor I suggest xlf. I run yamalube on my SHO but everything before that I had used the pennzoil

I switched to Pennzoil last year. Cleaner burning, less exspensive and easier to get.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    Can you tell me how you cleaned it? My buddy bought a Champ yesterday with an '01 225 OX66. I would like to pass the info along.
    Thanks!
    If I'm not mistaken, I think you can take it out and soak it in Seafoam.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

15. Member
    Where are you guys buying your Penzoil full synthetic? I'm only finding premium + in my area.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Where are you guys buying your Penzoil full synthetic? I'm only finding premium + in my area.
    The last couple of gallons I bought were from West Marine (on sale.)
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1okie View Post
    The last couple of gallons I bought were from West Marine (on sale.)
    Just ordered a gallon for $40.88, curious why it's on clearance though.

18. Member
    I put over a 1000 hrs on a 01 ox66 with penzoil premium plus and it's still going strong