Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plastic battery boxes, "required"?

Please advise,

My new Xpress H17 was delivered to me with a starting battery and single deep cycle because I only have a 12V 45# Minn Kota trolling motor.

I hope this is not a stupid question but this is my first "real" boat and I am not sure. Are the 2 batteries next to the fuel cell supposed to be encased in plastic boxes?

Mine are not. They are mounted to the deck, but not in battery boxes. Is this a serious safety issue. It's easy enough to fix.
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

2. Member
    Not at all as long as they are secured to boat there is not problem

3. Member
    I've never heard the box requirement, but I believe some states (maybe all) do require caps over the positive terminals. FWIW, None of my batteries are in boxes.

I have the Red safety covers on the + terminals.

Thank you guys!

I would imagine there is some aerodynamic driven ventilation going on there too.
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

Are they in battery trays? All I would use if there not.

6. Banned
    As long as rhey are " secured" on some sort of tray.

Here's a pointer for ya....... Find room for another deep cycle battery, and run it parallel with the other deep cycle. It will runs 12 volts off both batteries at same time, and you'll get twice the running time on the lake if needed! I ALWAYS run 2 batteries for 12V trolling motors

Boxes are not a requirement or safety issue as long as your positive poles are covered. They are nice if you were to ever have an acid spill. But few boats use them any more.

This taken from us coast guard manual. No mention of boxes just secured and terminals covered.
    Batteries must be secured and terminals coveredto prevent accidental arcing
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

I would think the little plastic tray are a good idea. Just in case a battery boils over or spills a little to keep it off the aluminum?
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

10. Member
    Where can I buy the terminal covers? Mine are not covered on either battery and I don't think they ever have been.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    This taken from us coast guard manual. No mention of boxes just secured and terminals covered.
    Batteries must be secured and terminals coveredto prevent accidental arcing
    I have fished some electric-only reservoirs in NJ that require batteries to be in a "plastic waterproof case."

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    As long as rhey are " secured" on some sort of tray.

Here's a pointer for ya....... Find room for another deep cycle battery, and run it parallel with the other deep cycle. It will runs 12 volts off both batteries at same time, and you'll get twice the running time on the lake if needed! I ALWAYS run 2 batteries for 12V trolling motors
    Agree with getting another battery in parallel. Plus if you ever upgrade to 24v troller you already have the battery.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Where can I buy the terminal covers? Mine are not covered on either battery and I don't think they ever have been.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/ANCOR...Id%3D734095080

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...6?recordNum=25

14. Member
    I would put the batteries in the plastic boxes if you have the room. If you have a on board charger or standard battery charger and it keeps charging the batteries it will boil the acid out of the batteries it will do considerable damage to the aluminum. FWIW the plastic boxes will give you added security and they aren't that pricey.

15. Member
    Thanks for the above links. I will pick some up today. Terminals on my tin boat are exposed and have never been covered.

16. Member
    I have my trolling motor batteries in plastic battery boxes and i do not put the battery covers on them, i feel the covers traps the gasses the batteries put off while charging.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    I have my trolling motor batteries in plastic battery boxes and i do not put the battery covers on them, i feel the covers traps the gasses the batteries put off while charging.
    They should have vents on them. May be hard to find so next time you have them off fill em with water and make sure

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    MN 1965,thank you sir.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    First I've heard of this. My boat doesn't have them or did my last one. I'm going to a boat show tommorow, I'll see if they have them installed.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    They should have vents on them. May be hard to find so next time you have them off fill em with water and make sure
    Yes the covers had really small vents, which i didnt like so i just left the covers off and when i plug the charger in i leave the rear hatch door open or prop it open a few inches.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast