2010 nitro z9 power management system

anyone have any experience with the power management enclosure located behind the drivers seat storage compartment...mine is working but draws current when not in use....it seems to drain my batteries to about 1/2 or 3/4 full charge...when you take the negative wire from the battery and touch it to a post it sparks...any help on this would be appreciated...other than that this boat is great...love the deck space and storage

A battery cutoff switch will cure that.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    are theses system supposed to be drawing current or not?

4. Member
    do you have power poles? what kind of electonics are on the boat? what other systems do you have?

5. Member
    hds 7 hds 8...and the typical panel switches for bilge bumps and livewells and lights that come on nitros...i do have a power pole but i got it on a ground switch that stays off until i use it...i think i am gonna put a switch on the ground of that wire thats for the power management enclosure and see if that helps....what i really want to know is do these power management system draw current when not in use? that may be why they put battery shut offs in the new boats..

6. Member
    Yes it will pull a little bit of current all the time, the keypad and the control unit communicate through a low speed data bus. Basically the controller is always waiting for a command to happen coming from the keypad. As a result there is a very small amount of current being used (in the milli amps range). Incidentally, your outboard also pulls a small amount of current also. Some Auto bilge pumps pull a small amount of current.
    The battery also itself has internal loss. All this and other things pull a small amount of current.
    If you leave your boat stored not plugged into a charger for extended period of time, you will have a dead battery.

Depending on the condition of your battery, a battery that has issues can self discharge rather quickly.

Also, I would not be switching on and off ground, switch the positive wires.

This is why a lot of people install a battery disconnect switch on the POSITIVE and/or leave the charger plugged in.

I do both, battery disconnect and leave charger plugged in all the time.

Never had that problem on any of my Z9s. I only had cutoff switches on my PP pumps. And I always cut off the positive side.

What else do you have connected directly to your batts.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team