rubber gap filler

-I have a plexiglass type slotted divider for single livewell. Maybe 1/4".
    -The gap around divider when in place is large. Maybe 1/2".
    -Tried a silicone type caulking [as original] and gap is too large for this to be feasible, i.e. didn't hold up.
    -Prefer a mounting solution to a larger plexiglass & caulk solution.
    -It's a livewell so any mounting device would be submerged periodically.
    -Currently thinking solid rubber [U shape or channel cut into perhaps] strip or something similar on 3 sides. Maybe 5/8"?.
    -Like the idea that a rubber [compression type basically] mount would allow for removal and reinstall at user preference.

Any idea where to get such a product, or perhaps competing ideas? Just spitting thoughts for now.

All the weatherstrip type products I've found were foam and appeared likely to fail in submerged states.

2. Member
    If the only issue with the silicone sealer is that the gap is too large.....Can you stuff plastic bags in the gap to fill it?

Then, apply the silicone sealer.

3. Member
    I don't think that would work at all. There is nothing to stuff a bag into. Just a gap.

You can go to an automotive parts store like O'Reilly or Pepboys and pick up some automotive weatherstripping like https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8977096/00333 this weatherstripping isn't like the foam camper tape that will become a gummy mess when installed because of the crappy adhesive, it includes a steel support type clip that is molded into the rubber. These last quite well on automotive applications through weather and car washes without deterioration.

Buy some 1/4" thick plexiglass at a home store (look in their storm window area), cut 1/2" wide strips, and sandwich them to the existing divider along the edges to fill in the gap. Use a hobby-grade CA adhesive. These plexi pieces can be sanded down to the proper thickness to fit in the livewell channel as desired.

6. Member
    I will look into the auto parts store today to see what they have. I prefer not to use adhesives or plexi patches.

7. Member
    Maybe this ??
    It comes in several diameters, you could leave it as is or put silicone sealer on top of it

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-3-4-in-Closed-Cell-Backer-Rod-108130/202523820

8. Member
    That is an interesting product. I will look into also. Thanks. This is why I post here. People have all kinds of ideas.

9. Member
    Get a piece of plastic / rubber tubing and split it down the length. Slip this over the edge of your plexiglass and then slide it into the slots in your livewell. That should tighten up the fit and hold it in place. I'm having a hard time picturing what you are trying to do, so I'm not sure if this idea is even close to accomplishing what you need.

10. Member
    That solution is on the right track so I think you have the right idea. But the rubber tubing would have to be very thick walled. I hope to find a neater solution but I do think something of that sort would suffice if I have no luck.

11. Member
    Maybe auto door edge molding that slides over the edge of the car door to help protect it from getting chips and making chips on someone else door.
    Rocket

12. Member
    I've purchased a lot of items from McMaster Carr in their trim / molding components for my boat. They might have just what you need. https://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=16kc7ll

13. Member
    Thank you for that link. I have been perusing their website already but haven't come across this specific stuff just yet, and it is pretty close to exactly what I was imagining. Now to look for sizing. :D

Garden Hose

15. Member
    Oneshot... sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer. richg99

Drill and tap the divider for a couple small pan-head machine screws along each edge. They could be turned in/out to fill the gap and provide the right tension as needed. A dab of silicone or superglue to keep them from turning.

17. Member
    That is an interesting different direction, but I think vibration would make me nix that idea. I don't wan't to scratch up the livewell, or crack the divider.

Last edited by Marinadan; 03-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Last edited by Marinadan; 03-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.

20. Member
    Thanks man that is pretty much right along the lines of what I had in mind. I will check it out.