2014 200 Pro XS Feul Pump Problems

Has anyone ever had a fuel pump lock up? Last week I ran into an issue. We had unseasonably warm weather here in Iowa so our lake opened. I took the boat out for the maiden voyage of the year and all it would do is turn over but would not Start. Frustrated as I was I started trying to figure out what it was. long story short I was blowing the #2 20 amp fuse with a turn of the key. So yesterday I took it to the dealer. I just got a call from them that both high and low fuel pumps are shot. The lower pump has rust on it. I'm assuming caused from water in the fuel. ok no problem however I'm told it will not be covered from mercury due to the rust on it. I may still be able to get the high preasure covered since it was clean. I'm told that the Part no's are as follows High = 888725T02 & the low = 888733T02. I will also need a new gasket part no 27-88319. all of the search's I can find only show these part no's to be good for up to 2010. can anyone tell if these are in fact the right part no's? and also can I replace them with aftermarket as well. right now I'm looking at a cost of around 1200$ from the dealer if no parts are covered. Any help would be great. My 3 year warranty is up on 3/8/17. Ugh
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Member
    Yes water left in the VST will corrode the pump(s), this is a lack of proper maintenance issue. Sometimes the pump can be freed up, by a good technician, but most guys would rather just replace it.
    I would NOT use an Aftermarket pump.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And you were told correctly- water in fuel that causes rust, corrosion, or any other problem is not a "defect" (and is thus not covered under warranty).

Strongly recommend your tank fuel drained completely (down to the last drop, in the deepest/darkest corner), and then start off the season with a fresh load of DRY fuel.

Mercury does not use "years"- that's why you don't see the pumps listed for the year your engine was manufactured. Same pumps have been used since 2003.

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor