mikesxpress

Question Feb update issue: HDS12 Gen3 Lost tide info when Navionics map is in use?

HDS12 Gen3 helm with Navionics map card shared
    HDS12 Gen2 bow
    Networked with point1, LSS1, 2 temps, 1 shoot thru hull ducer, and LWX1
    All working fine until Feb update applied.
    Navionics + map card updated for Gen3

After Feb update applied I cannot obtain tide info. pages/tides shows searching then no tide stations found. Switch to Lowrance map and it finds them. I only live a few miles from the nearest tide station and the units have always pulled them up previously here at home???

Gen 3 unit is now sluggish to operate to button or touch screen commands. Just populating the map takes more than 2 minutes.
    Did a soft reset which eliminates my settings and I can get the tide info with Navionics map up. Import my settings and I can't get the tides.

On the phone with Lowrance 3 times yesterday.
    1. Update map card. We tried It and it works here. Did that and still the same issues.
    2. Reload update. Wipe the previous update from computer/card and start over. Add "auto" after standard-1 on the upd file then reload to unit. Did that same thing.
    3. Handed off to sr tech with 20 minutes before they close at 5 in OK. Call cutoff at 4:55.

Any suggestions???

2. Member
    what year is your navionics card and what Navionics card are you running?
    Jason Gilstrap / Lowrance Pro Staff

3. mikesxpress
    2016 Navionics + just updated.

4. mikesxpress
    ???

5. Member
    If you put the map card in the HDS Gen -2 with the Gen 3 off does it work correctly? If so Leave card in GEN-2 and network to GEN-3 how does the GEN-3 react? Do you know what setting you are applying that are different then default? Perhaps hand bang your settings as your setting on the card may be corrupting the data with the update.
    Perhaps reload the old version and see if it reverts to working correctley.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. mikesxpress
    Tom I have allot of settings applied to both units for networking, sonar selection on multiple screens, data overlays, etc.. so no good way to tell if something in those is causing the issue. Now I am switching to Lowrance map, getting tide info, then Switching back to Navionics card map. PIA Lowrance stated that no settings have any effect on obtaining tide info but it has to be something in the update conflicting with my unit as it has been working fine. Even when I had both Gen 2's it was fine.
    I will try putting the Navionics card up front.

7. Member
    I am sure you are right its an update conflict. Now is it the settings from the old version causing the conflict with the new version say in an overlay in the navioncs such as "Dynamic icons" or a "Borders" issue or is it something in that file with the setting causing the conflict. Perhaps a hard reset, reload the new version from a new card hand bang your custom settings and everything will work peachy...Just trying to throw out ideas, not the best ones maybe but an idea!

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    Mike did you get this resolved? I just updated my NAV chip and lost the tides pages as well. GEN-2 Lowrance still running same software as before no updates. I see the dynamic icons on the map at some but not al tide stations

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

9. mikesxpress
    Tom per Navionics communications I now have my tides back and some of the slow performance issues have diminished.
    Follow this:
    When you update the Navionics plotter card, a folder and some files are added to the chip which are not
    compatible with all units.
    Insert your Navionics plotter card into your computer
    Open your card reader drive
    Open the folder named NAVIONIC
    Open the folder named CHARTS
    Delete the folder named UGC and all the files that end in .UGC along with any files ending in .UK
    or .CK.
    We also recommend that your unit is running the most up-to-date software version.

10. Member
    Thanks, I will try this, I have a trouble ticket into Navioncs. Who would have thought its a Navioncs issue. Glad you got yours to work

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

11. Member
    OMG. This thread was a lifesaver. Just did this and my tide charts are back and my unit is incredibly faster. Thanks Mike....
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

12. mikesxpress
    Glad it worked for you. Not a bunch of us on here that use the tide function but those of us along the coast need that to operate.
    They still don't have an update to correct this yet so any time you update your card you have to do this. PIA

13. Member
    I just tried this and lost the community edits. I saved those files to my pc and put them back on the card and the community edits are back.

14. mikesxpress
    I dont update community edits. I believe that if the software updates are still jacked up after 8 months then it's highly unlikely they have anyone monitoring these edits provided by the same general public that posts unbeliveable nonsense on social media. No need in hogging up card space for that.

15. Member
    Yes, you got a point there.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Tom per Navionics communications I now have my tides back and some of the slow performance issues have diminished.
    Follow this:
    When you update the Navionics plotter card, a folder and some files are added to the chip which are not
    compatible with all units.
    Insert your Navionics plotter card into your computer
    Open your card reader drive
    Open the folder named NAVIONIC
    Open the folder named CHARTS
    Delete the folder named UGC and all the files that end in .UGC along with any files ending in .UK
    or .CK.
    We also recommend that your unit is running the most up-to-date software version.
    I was having this issue for several months where my "Tides" quit working. So I was thrilled to find this resolved here.

I followed these steps last night on my Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3 with Navionics Platinum+ card.
    It fixed the Tides issue, but now my mapping is not working correctly. The card is still detected and all of the options are there, but the mapping isn't showing any image overlay.
    With the Platinum+ I had the google-earth style overlay with very detailed mapping. After I deleted those files my mapping is the old generic looking map with yellow colored land and different shades of blue for the water.
    I went through all the settings I could find, but can't get it back. I emailed Navionics, but at this point it looks like my card might be useless? Hopefully they can help me restore it or maybe I can get the files from a buddy who has not deleted them.

Unfortunately my subscription expired last month, so i'm not able to update the card either without paying $199.

Josh B.

17. Member
    Did you keep the files you deleted? When I did it, I saved them to a folder in case I wanted to put them back. It completely worked for me so I never put them back. Next time I updated, they were back on the card but the new Lowrance update seems to have addressed it. So if you can get the files back on the card and then update your unit, you should be ok. I thought you could do a trade in of your old card for a new one for like $99? Then you should be able to start fresh for the same amount as renewing your subscription.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    Good info as mine has done the same. Printing this out to take home and fix it
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Did you keep the files you deleted? When I did it, I saved them to a folder in case I wanted to put them back. It completely worked for me so I never put them back. Next time I updated, they were back on the card but the new Lowrance update seems to have addressed it. So if you can get the files back on the card and then update your unit, you should be ok. I thought you could do a trade in of your old card for a new one for like $99? Then you should be able to start fresh for the same amount as renewing your subscription.

NoCAL
    You're smarter than me... and I definitely know better. I assumed they would be in my "Recycle Bin" and I could restore them if needed... but when I look in the recycle bin they are not there.
    I'm working with Navionics now, but worst case scenario I will trade in the card or update my subscription... although both options tell me $199 for my platinum chip.

Josh B.

July 2020 and the same problem exists. Same fix still works