Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    I don't need to go to that trouble. My boats usually sell to the first person who shows up and takes a ride, which will involve me showing them what the boat will do. Now if I were selling a Ranger, performance wise, there isn't much to show and I might let someone drive, we certainly won't get hurt by speed.

Charlie, Charlie, That line of thinkin' is old and tired. You need to go out and live a little.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

I don't need to go to that trouble. My boats usually sell to the first person who shows up and takes a ride, which will involve me showing them what the boat will do. Now if I were selling a Ranger, performance wise, there isn't much to show and I might let someone drive, we certainly won't get hurt by speed.
    Oh no a Ranger joke...I'm so offended....

3. Member

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Would you expect someone to buy your truck from you without allowing a test drive?
    Still awaiting an answer from the no test drive crew

5. Member
    They can drive my truck. It's front wheel steer on solid ground, and in this state they must be insured and carry a card so I can verify. My rear steer on a liquid surface, with no insurance, nope.

6. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    Still awaiting an answer from the no test drive crew
    Would you let someone who doesn't have a driver's license, no insurance, no training, and has never driven a car before drive your truck?
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

7. Member
    I bought mine used last winter. The owner asked me if I wanted to test drive it on the river. I don't like rivers in the winter. Any lake was to far away. I know the family so I trusted him with just the hose test. Up here used boats in nice shape are crazy priced. He was selling about 3 thousand under book. I couldn't pass up the deal. I figured if anything came up later I had that 3 grand to fix any problems with the motor. The boat itself was pristine except for a small stain on the rear deck. Haven't had any problems.

8. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBass320v View Post
    Would you let someone who doesn't have a driver's license, no insurance, no training, and has never driven a car before drive your truck?
    No, just as I wouldn't let an individual who hadn't taken their boaters course and gotten their card drive the boat.... Obviously that would be illegal, not a very good argument

I went out for a test drive in my current boat. The seller insisted I ride and then drive it after he gave me a rundown on trim, Hotffot, etc. I told him I was coming out of a smaller boat with less HP. He just said open it up to the point where I was comfortable. Wrote him a check the next day.
    I'd prefer to test drive a used boat. A new one maybe, maybe not.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    I've test driven every boat I've ever bought. Wouldn't even consider one otherwise. Last one I sold, the buyer didn't want to test drive, I insisted but he declined.
    DITTO

11. Member
    HUH?? When did this get put in the equation?? Ok, we better include serial killers, the legally blind, and anyone that just ate at KFC...I hate greasy finger marks in the boat.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I will say my last 4 boats I sold, the guys never took them for a test drive!!
    And I haven't test drove my last6 boats.

But I'm an honest guy, and knew what I was buying and whom I was getting it from.

If I was buying one from someone I didn't know or the history of the boat, there is no way I would buy it without driving it. I also would feel the engine before it would ever start. Just to make sure he didn't have it all warmed up before I got there.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 02-23-2017 at 10:26 PM.

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    This reminds me of the old man and his bucket list.
    His wife ask him what he wanted to check off next. He said he always wanted to ride a motorcycle.
    She takes him to the Harley dealer and they look at some bikes, his wife picks out a pretty bike and ask if he wanted to test it. He says sure. They get the sales man over, talk a bit, and she ask if he can drive the bike. The sales man says sure, let me get it outside and warm it up.
    So they meet the salesman outside and the old man jumps on and salamanders out of the parking lot!!!

The salesman turns and ask the wife if he had a motorcycle drivers license, She says "Oh No he's blind"!!!!!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Well then you would never be able to buy an Allison..........
    I see what you did there haha!

If you were selling a Ranger, they wouldn't need to test drive it. It will sell itself!

16. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    No, just as I wouldn't let an individual who hadn't taken their boaters course and gotten their card drive the boat.... Obviously that would be illegal, not a very good argument
    Boaters courses, to my knowledge, are not required in every state. For instance, in my state of TN, they're only required for people under a certain age. So the question again is: would you let someone who didn't take a boaters course and doesn't have a card drive your boat?
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

17. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Boaters courses, to my knowledge, are not required in every state. For instance, in my state of TN, they're only required for people under a certain age. So the question again is: would you let someone who didn't take a boaters course and doesn't have a card drive your boat?
    Absolutely, as long as I was with them and they seemed reasonably responsible. It's just a boat.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I will say my last 4 boats I sold, the guys never took them for a test drive!!
    And I haven't test drove my last6 boats.

But I'm an honest guy, and knew what I was buying and whom I was getting it from.

If I was buying one from someone I didn't know or the history of the boat, there is no way I would buy it without driving it. I also would feel the engine before it would ever start. Just to make sure he didn't have it all warmed up before I got there.
    Come on man! As a BBC mod, what better reference could you have? It's like having a golden candy bar. (insert azz kisser emoticon here)

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My last 4 sold.to the first person that came.and looked at them. 3 of the 4 test drove with me on the boat. I could have asked for more after each test drive. (Our boats really will really preform with the gear removed and low on fuel
    I had no idea my basscat would run 82.)
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Ive never seen an insurance policy on a boat with drivers listed. Also never been thru a boaters safety course although ive owned a boat since 1998 that would run over 100mph.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast