95 Dual Axle Ranger Trail Brake Question

Greetings all. I recently purchased a 1995 482 VS with a dual axle trailer. There is no brake breakaway cable, and I am not sure where it is supposed to connect. Everything else seems to work just fine, but I would like to install the breakaway cable. Does anyone have a picture of where it connects on the trailer?

Thanks!

The breakaway cable connects around the master cylinder inside our brake actuator. It should be a UFP design. Link to the manual------ http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    The breakaway cable connects around the master cylinder inside our brake actuator. It should be a UFP design. Link to the manual------ http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf

Thanks Butch. That helps a LOT! I do have a questions concerning the wiring: According to the owner's manual, there should be a red wire that connects to the reverse circuit of the tow vehicle to disengage the surge brakes when backing. My trailer only has the normal 5 wire plug connector. Should there be another plug for the brake circuit? The trailer backs just fine as it is.

Thanks

4. Member
    Thanks Butch. This link will help a lot.

Tom

5. Member
    That trailer would have come with a regular 4 prong and a separate 2 prong with a red and a white wire. The 2 prong was for backing up. Sounds like someone installed a 5 prong to eliminate having to plug in two plugs. I did the same thing on my old Ranger.

6. Member
    If the trailer backs up without the solenoid locking out the surge brakes your brakes probably aren't working

7. Member
    i was thinking the blue wire was for the backup solenoid,i have a 1997 ranger 482vs with tandem,i changed mine and now just have the 5 wire plug

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twulf View Post
    If the trailer backs up without the solenoid locking out the surge brakes your brakes probably aren't working
    That thought crossed my mind as well...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i was thinking the blue wire was for the backup solenoid,i have a 1997 ranger 482vs with tandem,i changed mine and now just have the 5 wire plug
    So do you have any problems with the brakes locking up when you try to back the trailer...?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So do you have any problems with the brakes locking up when you try to back the trailer...?
    no because mine work right,now if i disconnect my plug in it will lock up, but no mine are working great now