Which Frog Rod: Dobyns Sierra 735, Savvy 735, or Powell 3D 736

Looking for a frog rod that would be good for hollow-body frogs under branches and such, but can handle the slop. All three rods are x-fast tip, but I want t be able to walk the frog too.
    Thanks.
    Chris

2. Member
    I use two different frog rods for the two very different situations you described... For skipping, I prefer a 7 ft Heavy action rod with fast tip. For slop, I throw a Savvy 735. You shouldn't notice much difference between the older Savvy and newer Sierra.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkarol24 View Post
    I use two different frog rods for the two very different situations you described... For skipping, I prefer a 7 ft Heavy action rod with fast tip. For slop, I throw a Savvy 735. You shouldn't notice much difference between the older Savvy and newer Sierra.
    New Sierra series rods are much nicer than the Savvy series IMO. I prefer the 735 as it has a little tip making it easier to walk the frog, IMO. Plenty of power to yank fish out of the slop. I'm on the Cal Delta btw. I know that the rear handle is shorter on the Fury 735 (and I think Sierra) than the Champion XP 735.

Dobyns 736 is a very very powerful rod. When frog fishing, you need to work the line more versus working the bait (frog) directly for best results. Lot of guys like the 736 here on the Delta.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax