Rod geeks fans...

After flirting with the notion for a while I picked up a rod geeks S glass sg711xhmf at Icrbe, with the intention of building a big swimbait/lighter musky rod. Even though I've just finished the grips and reel seat and don't have the first guide wrapped I'm really impressed so far. I love the lighter members of the s glass line but this big guy is amazingly lightweight and has some serious backbone with a tip that I believe will still be plenty flexible enough for big fish and big treble hooks. Anyone else built on this blank?

2. Member
    I've built a couple of the sg79hm, one full length and one cut down to 7'3". Really nice blank for chatterbaits but also handles bigger stuff with trebles like the G2 Shellcrackers or hootchie mama really well. I bet the xhmf will be nice for glides up to like a 250.

I have that blank and it is nice! Building a SG79mh, and a SG79h for some deep divers for a pro right now.

I also have the sg70mm, sg70mhm.

On a side note, I'm also building a B4 swimbait (basstrix type) rod now, but dont recall the exact numbers on it, I want to say b476mhf

Nice blanks for sure, I am am also building on an c2 inshore blank in 76mhf for paddle tail swimbaits, seems a touch heavier both in action and overall weight but balances easily and has a nice tip, I'm liking it so far. I need to try the sg79hm, but the sg70mhm is a favorite of mine for sure

5. Member
    The sg 70mhm is dead on to the Seeker Sglass blank (bs706), it's a nice blank I've built a bunch of those. You can cut it down to like 6'4" and it's really nice for jerkbaits. The c2 inshore blanks are about 1/2 power more than the regular ones. I built a b276mhm for swimming jigs, haven't used it yet but it should be nice for swimming with braid, that might be a good one for paddle tails too. Overall I've been really happy with all the blanks I've built especially for the price.

6. Member
    Add me to the list no glass builds yet but very impressed in these blanks. Hope to see more variety.

isthe 7'mhf the same blank as the 76mhf just shorter?
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    Would you say the SG79MM and SG70MM are parabolic in action and similar to a traditional fiberglass blank? Thanks for any feedback!

8. Member
    I haven't built either length of the glass MM but have built a number of the MHM, they are all S glass in like the top 2/3 of the blank and then they transition to graphite. The only other glass blanks I have built on is the Seeker BS706 which is also S glass and the actions are very similar. Personally I wouldn't see any reason to go below the MH unless you were throwing really little cranks with small hooks or were going to build it as a spinning rod. I've thrown Honey Bees on the MHM with no problem.

9. Member
    I'm looking to build a S-Glass rod for my crankbaits ... I stumbled onto this Rodgeeks site and found a couple blanks that may fit. I am wondering how these blanks behave. I read that they are basically composite blanks as they do put some graphite in the blank to help with power and probably weight. I'm looking at the SG79MHM for cranking and the SG79HM for chatterbaits. I'll probably cut down to make a 7'6" rods. I know they're moderate action, but was wondering how much of the tip bends before the 'power' of the blank starts, 1/3 or 1/2 of the way down. I want a lively tip, but I don't want it to be whippy ... thanks for your advice.
    Chris
    =====================================
    2004 Ranger 521VX, 2013 ETEC 250HO
    8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
    Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
    2x Blade Series Power Poles
    Minn Kota Fortrex 112
    Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
    =====================================

10. Member
    Neither of them are whippy at all IMO. At 7'6" the SG79HM might still be a touch too heavy weight wise, it is for me anyway. I like to cut them to 7' (both actually). They're both a pretty true moderate, not moderate fast...starts probably in between 1/2 and 1/3.

11. Member
    Never cut a sg79mhm. i have simply used the sg70mhm as is. Love it. What do you find better or different cutting the 7'9" down?? I do agree the MH and H are a bit heavy.

I am going to try your idea of cutting the 7' down for a top water rod..thanks
    Last edited by jglenn21; 08-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.

I have 5 cut down to 7ft... I forget if they were 7ft 11 or 7ft 9in originally...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn21 View Post
    Never cut a sg79mhm. i have simply used the sg70mhm as is. Love it. What do you find better or different cutting the 7'9" down?? I do agree the MH and H are a bit heavy.

I am going to try your idea of cutting the 7' down for a top water rod..thanks
    I probably didn't put that right, I get the SG70mhm and use it as it. I only cut the SG79hm because it's not available at 7'. I guess I was trying to say I like them both at 7'.

What kind of topwaters? I've found taking an inch or an inch and a half off of the tip on the SG70mhm makes it a better blank for walking baits like spooks and vixens.

14. Member
    Mainly Pop-Rs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn21 View Post
    Mainly Pop-Rs.
    Oh yeah, don't cut the tip then

16. Member
    Thanks.. let you know how it works out. I haven't played with the sh79hm because i have a bunch of old all star 8' elite blanks I got at the show from Andy Dear years ago for dirt cheap.. crazy good blanks for C rigs and frogs...

17. Member
    How many is a bunch? Let me know if you want to sell any of them, I'd for sure be interested.

18. Member
    had 10 of them originally but have to go look and see what's left. made quite a few for friends and family. they were IGMB966 and a few 965s.. the 966 was rated for 1/2 to 2oz.( med hwy) and the 965 was 3/8 up to 1 1/4oz.(med) a bit of a unique tip given the size of the butt.. 5.5 tip with a .645 butt. mod /fast action.. let you know..