89 364 Rear box drains

Is it possible to safely drill a hole in the rear boxes to drain water? If so, any specific place?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Don't drill straight down into the bottom. Most of the Ranger boxes sit directly on the bottom of the boat and are glues in place,it'd be mighty easy to drill through the hull. You can drill a hole as low as possible to the inside,closest to the center line of the boat and let the water drain into the bilge.

Why are the rear boxes getting water inside? Sounds like the seals on the lip of the compartments need to be replaced.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 02-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    These boxes dont have actual weatherstripping seals. The boxes have a raised lip with molding.

A buddys 364 has drains, which i would assume these should have as well.

The boxes have a plastic plug in them which is on the inside rear corners. I put a small hole through one and water still doesnt drain. I assume, the plugs are against a stringer, but thats only a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    These boxes dont have actual weatherstripping seals. The boxes have a raised lip with molding.

A buddys 364 has drains, which i would assume these should have as well.

The boxes have a plastic plug in them which is on the inside rear corners. I put a small hole through one and water still doesnt drain. I assume, the plugs are against a stringer, but thats only a guess.
    Sounds to me like the molding needs to be replaced. Those compartments should not have a drop of water inside them. Is the water coming in due to fishing in the rain? Or, is the water a result of condensation? The fix would be different for each problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I just need to know where to put a drain hole. My buddy just sent me a pic of his boxes. His boxes have a grommet drain where mine have a plastic plug. His boxes drain fine. In face he uses his boxes as coolers from time to time. His boat is a 88.

So...back to my original question, where can i safely drill a small hole?