New SHimano Stradic FK observation....anybody else?

I've got a new Stradic FK3000hg. I'm use to the white Stradic FJ's and the CI4+'s as a reference point. My question is have any of you felt like the drag on the new Stradic's feel like they've cheapened up the drag or is it just me? Maybe it's just the difference in the noise when I pull on the line and I hear the drag give....reminds me of older cheaper ones I had many years ago (sound-wise). Now in defense of the reels drag I have only caught one small fish on my new set up so it might be awesome in real world conditions.

2. Member
    I have the same reels you have and also noticed a changed in the sound of pitch of the drag. Not sure if it is the same system or not but it does seem smooth from the few LMB and SMB I have caught on it.

3. Member
    We have to rely on that drag regardless because Shimano removed the backwinding ability on the FK. I never back reel when fighting a fish but it came in handy when I need slack in my line.

The first redfish I caught on my 3000FK shredded the felt washers.. I threw them away and installed carbontex with cal's grease , never a problem since then.

5. Member
    Shimano really has gone to crap in the last 6-8 years

Interesting. Curious what other replies come to this discussion. I'm afraid it seems most companies try and get away with building more and more product cheaper.

drags in the FK are the same as in previous models. The clicker is less definitive and that is not related to the drags operation.All of the new spinning models are minus the anti reverse switch. Personally, I did not want to see that go but it was identified as one of the larger entry points for water intrusion, and was thought to be un-necessary with today's
    drag technology. Not sure I totally agree but that is the reason. Cost was not the issue, making the reel more water resistant was the motive, as most now have the new "core
    protect" technology inside to go along with that change. Trust me, "core protect" costs, so it wasn't a matter of making a reel "cheaper". Special tools, greases and training are also needed to service "core protect" reels as well.

Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Well, that's news to me. While I fish nothing but Lew's casting reels, I have two Shimano Sahara spinning reels...with an on/off switch for the anti-reverse. I ALWAYS back-reel. I guess when these reels wear out, I'll be looking for a different brand of reel to replace them or buying used reels with the on/off anti-reverse switch.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks for the reply Dan, very informative as usual.

10. Member
    I've got 2 FK's that got a really good workout on Lake Michigan smallies last October and I didn't have any problem with the drags though I really do miss the back reel option. I've though about throwing them up on the trade board for some of the previous generation Ci4's for that reason.

Good to hear they did good for you on the bronze backs.

12. Moderator
    I have owned all of the stradics at one point or another since 2002. I can honestly say that the new FK is the best one out there in my opinion. Besides by Stella's, the FK is the deal...

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I have owned all of the stradics at one point or another since 2002. I can honestly say that the new FK is the best one out there in my opinion. Besides by Stella's, the FK is the deal...
    Have you owned a new Stradic ci4+ FB? Everything good about the FK in an even lighter package.
    13 year old Tracker

14. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
    Have you owned a new Stradic ci4+ FB? Everything good about the FK in an even lighter package.
    Yes, I have one of those as well in the 3000 size. I prefer the FK every time though...

Yes, I have one of those as well in the 3000 size. I prefer the FK every time though...
    Interesting! What is it about the FK that you prefer. I have both also, and while both fantastic, I feel the exact opposite.
    13 year old Tracker

16. Moderator
    I like the solid feel of the FK, Just feels more solid to me than anything else except my stellas. Wipers here can really wear on a reel and FK handles them with ease. More FK's in the salt then the new Ci4 too.....

I like the solid feel of the FK, Just feels more solid to me than anything else except my stellas. Wipers here can really wear on a reel and FK handles them with ease. More FK's in the salt then the new Ci4 too.....
    I feel the same way - FK is more rigid with less flex.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

I agree with all of that. Best stradic yet and feels more solid than the ci4. Not as much flex