Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation OK Guy.....Need some Input & Opinions.

Since Owen did well shooting, and he seemed very comfortable with doing it, even with the noise involved (sensory issues). It might be time to get him a decent .22 to get started.

The one I learned on was a POS & the barrel always came loose after a box of ammo

My dad has one I can use, but is not the best (Sears & Roebuck S.A. model). He has a single shot J. Stevens 1913, but not practical to modern stuff.

Here is where I am at;

I would like him to learn on a bolt action to get mechanics down 1st. Yes a 10/22 or other SA would be nice, but I'm not worried about how fast he can shoot more than how well he can do it. If you get the 1st shot right, you don't have to worry about the other rounds in them

I know that if I get an Anschu'tz, he will never have to buy another .22 rifle again-EVER! Since I don't happen to have a grand laying around for a 22LR, that's out (you can include a Winchester Model 52 in there as well)

My selection thus far have been a Savage Mark-II (FXP) & CZ 455. The CZ is at the top end of what I am wanting to spend, but that is ONLY if I can find a good deal on one. Read some stuff on the Marlin XT-22's but seems they have issues of accuracy past 30 yards. Ruger 77/22 seems OK, but not much said on those either.

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I do like both the CZ and the Ruger 77/22. Both have a big gun feel to them, if that makes sense. You'd hardly know handling them that they were .22's, just by weight and stock design.

3. Member
    I agree with the CZ or 77/22. However, if you think you might would like for him to have a SA after he has proven himself the answer might be while he is learning on the range to just give him 1 cartridge at a time. Then, if you will be with him while hunting with it, do the same. The reason I say this is, no other 22 in the world that I know of has as many after market parts to customize as the 10/22 does. It would be a learning opportunity for him as well to see how parts of the gun works (trigger) as well as making it aesthetically his own one of a kind rifle. I know he will appreciate whatever direction you take! And that is the main thing.

4. Member
    I bought my boy a Ruger American in .22 cal. It is much cheaper than the CZ and seems to be well made. It comes with interchangeable stock pieces to adjust the length of pull...I really like the CZ but didn't want to spend that kind of money on a 22 for my boy ( due to the abuse it will probably take). The Ruger should last him well into adulthood.

5. Member
    Funny you mention that (customizable). The CZ455 is very interchangeable with components. They actually have a 22lr/17hmr kit. And is pretty easy to swap out barrels. He can also get other stocks, some of the 452 parts interchange as well, and CZ is trying to make them all that way now. I believe the 455 will soon accept upgrade bolts & able to integrate to micro center fire. I know you can pretty much swap any current 455 stock or barrel out from 22lr to 17hmr to 22wmr now.

6. Member
    I think a 10/22 is still going to be best.

I see where you're coming from with wanting a bolt to make him want to think twice about pulling the trigger since he cant just unload on something but while I think that aspect of it is important, there are a ton of other fundamentals like sight picture and trigger squeeze that might benefit from a slightly more rapid pace of a semi-auto. if you're concerned about him wanting to just burn through ammo, you can always just make him load that magazine one round at a time!

if you buy him a bolt 22lr now, in a year you're going to want to upgrade it to a semi anyways. my grandpa bought me a marlin model 60 over 15 years ago and I still shoot it and take it out hunting to this day.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

7. Banned
    The 455 varmint can be had for $429 right now at cabelas. Heck of a start to precision rifles

8. Moderator
    Both my 6 and 9 year olds have 10/22's. They love them and will shoot them forever

9. Member
    I'm Jonesing for a Henry which might be a great plinking/bunny gun for him too but doesn't sound like what you have in mind. IMO if you don't want to buy a youth model, then a lever is the next best fit for a kid.

Just read your other post about old guns. As a kid, I didn't like Marlin levers as much as Winchesters--too heavy. I hunted with model 64 and 94 in 30-30 and model 92 in 32-20. Doesn't sound like you had any plans to get your boy using the old Marlin anyway
    Last edited by BP in ME; 02-24-2017 at 12:06 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Both my 6 and 9 year olds have 10/22's. They love them and will shoot them forever
    Yep........keeps crossing my mind to just get him a decent 10/22 & get the 18.5 on instead of the 16" with break on it. I really like the Mannlicher Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm Jonesing for a Henry which might be a great plinking/bunny gun for him too but doesn't sound like what you have in mind. IMO if you don't want to buy a youth model, then a lever is the next best fit for a kid.
    That has crossed my mind, but I can use a Marlin 39A if needed to fit that nitch as well.

11. Member
    Didn't know the CZs had that much aftermarket stuff going for them. Personally have never owned one, but my friend who owns my favorite little gun shop has told me they are very popular and very accurate. Can't go wrong either way it sounds like. My son started on the 10/22 and loved it as well, but nothing like options to make things interesting!

I have Savage Mark II , with thumbhole stock ,, it's sweet shooter .. 10/22 is a fine rifle , no way around it... Henry lever guns are sweet , as fun to shoot.. Don't have a CZ in22 LR , but do have it in 22 Hornet.. if the 22 shoots anything like the Hornet does ,, maybe in need buy one.. Bring Him down , He can shoot any of the above and more ....

13. Banned
    As I said in PM, I learned on a single shot bolt action rifle with irons and later added a scope. I'd lean that way myself.

My first gun was a Marlin bolt action .22. I still have it and it's a tack-driver. It's a model 781.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    My first gun was a Marlin bolt action .22. I still have it and it's a tack-driver. It's a model 781.
    WOW! a tube fed bolt .22......I bet you don't see many of those around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    WOW! a tube fed bolt .22......I bet you don't see many of those around anymore.
    I never really thought about it. Is that rare nowadays? Or being sarcastic?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

17. Member
    I think he was serious. Most Marlin .22's I've seen have either been a tube feed semi or a bolt action with clip.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I think he was serious. Most Marlin .22's I've seen have either been a tube feed semi or a bolt action with clip.
    very serious.....all the places I look (around here anyway) you can't hardly ever find a Tube Fed, Bolt action. I can find Semi-Auto with tube fed (Winchester 190/290 series). most of the bolt .22's are either mag fed or single shot loaded.

I think it would be neat to have one though you don;t see them much anymore.

19. Member
    I would STRONGLY argue with anyone who says moving to a semi-auto is necessarily an “upgrade”, a bolt gun like a cz is every bit the same or better quality than similar-priced semiauto 22's, including a 10/22. Nothing wrong with a 10/22, just that if learning to shoot a rifle is what you want him to do the bolt gun will do a better job by forcing him to take his time and make each shot count and by virtue of being a more accurate platform to begin with. Both can be souped-up if you want down the road.

I have a CZ455 American so that's what I'll speak to. It’s a lot of gun for the money, and it’s a full-on adult RIFLE with the same heft and handling you’ll get in a centerfire bolt gun. Unless you got a lemon it would be a gun your son would keep his entire life, it doesnt at all feel like it's made like a toy the way many inexpensive 22's feel like to me. They are very popular, and many of them (not all) are extremely accurate for the price-range. Apart from a slight trigger adjustment mine is 100% as I bought it from the factory and it consistently shoots under 1moa at 50 yards—that’s not bad for a $400 22lr. If you get a model with iron sights, the stock sights are quite good quality. You can buy aftermarket stocks and triggers from several places and for about $400 you can get truly match-quality barrels that are virtually a drop-in fit from Lilja if you want Anshutz-like accuracy at some point down the road.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 03-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.

I have a 77/22 and my 5 yr old son shoots it often. Very accurate rifle and well made also. He also shoots his ATI AR15 with a Chiappa .22LR upper. Very affordable. I did upgrade the bolt assembly on it after doing some research on the 1st gen models.
    I hope you're able to narrow it down so he can get to shooting soon.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast