Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I've had co's show up with 10 that kept them nice and neat and were a pleasure.

Ive also had co's that had 4 and were messy and getting cranks tangled in nets and hooks in seats.

A suggestion is to take 5 rods but spare reels with different lines. That way you can cover all the bases

2. Banned
    As a co angler, I always carry 13 rods, 13 plano 3700's and a 13 bananas. The extra bananas are in case the boater forgot his.

As a boater I don't care how many they bring. There the ones who have to untangle them. When I was a co I tried to not bring more than 5.

4. Member
    I carried at max 6 when I fished as a co. Spare spools are your best friend. Now as a boater, i tell my Co exactly what I will be doing, what they will need, and make sure they know that if they ask, I will lend them a combo if I am not using

5. Member
    is it just me, or has anyone else never found themselves never needing more than 2 maybe 3 rods at most...?
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    I'd say 5 is the magic number.

When I fished BFL and Everstarts as a co-angler, I never took more than 5 and often just 4. It depends on how open your boater is with you about how you'll be fishing. But, I often took more rods than that with me and left the ones I wouldn't need in the truck. A good example were the BFL's and Everstarts on Erie. Yes, 90% of the time you'll be fishing for smallies and only need 3 rods. But, every now and then I drew a boater who wanted to fish largemouth. So, I always took those rods and the necessary tackle to the tournament with me, just in case. Then, my smallie gear stayed in the truck.

Same thing when I ride with a partner in team tournaments. But, since he is completely open with me, just as I am with him, when we put a game plan together, I have sometimes taken as few as 2 rods.

Remember, rods are multi-functional...they can throw many different baits. You don't need to take a rod for every possible bait you might throw.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Just remember those making fun in this post can't afford it. The rules are clear no matter what the co or angler want. Mute point. Only debate is angle of cast and if you get along.

9. Member
    Love all the negative comments from boaters. I have been both. More times a boater than a co-angler. I tournaments that require a non/co you boaters need co/non more than they need you. Have respect for them. And co/non's have respect for the boater. If the boater would be honest with what ever technique you might be fishing it would help in eliminating excess rods and tackle. I say if a co/non can only bring 5 rods then wouldn't it be fair for the boater to only use 5. Just respect each other.

10. Member
    As many as he wants as long as he keeps them out of my way!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

Up to him - I don't care. Up to him to keep up with his own stuff.

12. Member
    I think 4-5 is plenty... A talk to the boater the night before helps to eliminate a flipping stick or bring an extra cranking rig, or extra spinning outfit... But even with no heads up on what the day will bring a co should be able to cover everything with 4-6...

If it was a single console I would bring 5 and if I good idea of what I was going to be doing all day I would drop it down to 4. If I was fishing in a dual console it all depended if the boater had a compartment for my tackle. If not, I would always go for 4 rods. 5 rods with a tackle bag under a console is a recipe for a mess.

And I always preferred fishing with someone with a single console.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Quote Originally Posted by MEFelber View Post
    5 is the magic number

this ^^^^^^^
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I am fishing generally 2,000 acre lakes in MN with a big one thrown in every once and a while. Generally I bring 8 rods, sometimes more if I'm in a big boat. I have very rarely carried less than 8. The difference between bringing 5 rods and 8 rods isn't that big a deal. I use Norman Speed Clips and only allow treble hooks on 1 rod at a time. I would say I get to all my rods about 30% of the time and 6 or less rods 20% of the time. Trying different baits is part of my fishing style.

16. Member
    I have 10 rods total. But only bring 5 85% of the time. 6 at the most.

Im glad this is brought up by buddy when we fish out of my boat its not the 9 rods he brings its the two tackle bags!
    And he has his stuff in every compartment of my boat so he is constantly unstrapping my rods getting to tackle/rods
    Then 12 pack of beer in a cooler , rain gear ETC. Jesus why ya need all that stuff bro?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Bob View Post

One spinning, one casting. You want to bring more rods than that, go buy your own damn boat.
    Don't ask for gas money.

19. Member
    No more than 6, I've been screwed too many times by boaters who say one thing and do another or by changing conditions were the shallow or deep bite disappears and I'm stuck trying to flip with a crankbait rod. or throw a Crig with a 6 1/2 foot spinning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Always 5-6. I learned my lesson when during my club classic my boater decided to abandon his game plan and start fishing for largemouth when small mouth rule on that water. All I brought was 2 spinning rods and all smallmouth gear he discussed the plan with me the night before and never mentioned targeting green fish once
    He should have had a rod for you...complete BS.

Dont care how many rods a guy brings...but please leave the giant tackle bags at home. Bait switchers rarely do very well anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast