Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Updating built-in Lake Vu mapping

Ok so switched over to Garmin Express and my equipment now listed. Said I had a map update for both my 1040 and 721. Downloaded the update ( took awhile as cautioned by site ). Attempted to up date this AM. According to my software info although the card was read no update occurred.

I let both units do a full boot up and installed the update card. Is there something I am not doing ? The 721 does alert that says update not compatible but it has a quirk of doing that on normal boot-up. Will attempt again while awaiting answer.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

2. Member
    I would suggest you call support before you proceed. If you get the procedure wrong when you do an up-date, you could potentially brick the mfd.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Not sure if this is the same as the Echomap, but when I called customer service they told me the map updates for my Echomaps have to be copied to an SD Card and you have to keep the card in the unit to use those maps - you can't update the built-in maps that are stored in the unit, those are not over-writeable.

4. Banned
    it let me update my Lake Vu detailed map but the the other built in map. Look to see on your device to see if it downloaded. I have a 1040xs also

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Not sure if this is the same as the Echomap, but when I called customer service they told me the map updates for my Echomaps have to be copied to an SD Card and you have to keep the card in the unit to use those maps - you can't update the built-in maps that are stored in the unit, those are not over-writeable.
    Who ever you talked to gave you bad information Dan. Or, they sent you the wrong maps if thats the case. There is an update for the built in maps and there are separate maps and they are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Who ever you talked to gave you bad information Dan. Or, they sent you the wrong maps if thats the case. There is an update for the built in maps and there are separate maps and they are not the same thing.
    Yes, with the actual map update card, it updates your current preloaded mapping. In this case, it works just like all other updates in that once the process is complete, the preloaded mapping is updated and you do not need the card in the unit.

At times, Support may actually send an up-to-date LakeVu accessory mapping card instead of the preloaded mapping update card. The contour info is the same, but in this case, you would need to leave the LakeVu accessory card in the unit.

I would recommend that customers make sure and specifically ask for the preloaded mapping update card, so you don't have to leave the card in the unit.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, with the actual map update card, it updates your current preloaded mapping. In this case, it works just like all other updates in that once the process is complete, the preloaded mapping is updated and you do not need the card in the unit.

At times, Support may actually send an up-to-date LakeVu accessory mapping card instead of the preloaded mapping update card. The contour info is the same, but in this case, you would need to leave the LakeVu accessory card in the unit.

I would recommend that customers make sure and specifically ask for the preloaded mapping update card, so you don't have to leave the card in the unit.
    Arg so confusing. OK Customer Support sent me a map update card for Canada Lakevu 2016.10. It did contain some update folders and an update image as well as the map files. I turned on my echomap, put in the card and did pop up with the update/copy maps/manage user data window. I hit update, it went through the update process, restarted and it still says built in maps are 2016.0 and it sees supplemental maps 2016.10.

So either I'm doing something wrong or I got the wrong type of card. Should I call customer service back?

Dan

Arg so confusing. OK Customer Support sent me a map update card for Canada Lakevu 2016.10. It did contain some update folders and an update image as well as the map files. I turned on my echomap, put in the card and did pop up with the update/copy maps/manage user data window. I hit update, it went through the update process, restarted and it still says built in maps are 2016.0 and it sees supplemental maps 2016.10.

So either I'm doing something wrong or I got the wrong type of card. Should I call customer service back?

Dan
    Yes, I would call them back.
    Garmin Pro Team

Yes, I would call them back.
    Called them back and they updated my express account to have the upgrade map available. I downloaded to the SD Card and then discovered my battery for playing around with my echomaps in my office is dead

So on the charger it goes and testing resumes tomorrow

Well now I am back to the issue the OP was having. I have the update now, loaded it on the SD card but when I insert it, there's no update map option. Sure don't make it easy lol!

Just got off the phone with Garmin CS this morning, apparently there is no built-in update available for Canada Lakevu, I have to keep the card inserted in to the unit.

Dan

12. Member
    Im a little skeptical Dan. First time they say you have to keep it in.

Second time they say OK, we will fix Express to do the up-date.

Third time they say you have to keep it in?

I think there is obviously some major confusion going on within customer service about this.

Id PM Todd and ask him to look into it. I dont see any reason why the Canadian version would need to keep the chip in the sd slot. Its not like they are different machines - its just a different version of the same file.

13. Member
    Something else occurred to me - is your 93 a US version or a Canadian version?

I seem to remember something Todd said that you couldnt update the built in maps using a different country. I have no idea why that would matter - maybe some licensing issue? Could be Im remembering wrong too.....

Something else occurred to me - is your 93 a US version or a Canadian version?

I seem to remember something Todd said that you couldnt update the built in maps using a different country. I have no idea why that would matter - maybe some licensing issue? Could be Im remembering wrong too.....
    I have a 95SV with Canadian Lakevu built-in, which is the one I am trying to update. I also have a 93SV (non-CHIRP) with US built-in maps and I use a Trakmaps card on that one for Quebec coverage. So yeah, I am only trying to update the Canadian 95SV unit, I didn't even try with the US 93SV one.

15. Member
    I cant believe that none of the Canadian Echomaps can up-date their built in maps. Im sure someone would have started screaming by now and we would all know that only the US models get to do the up-date.

Someone in customer service is confused/new or something.

I cant believe that none of the Canadian Echomaps can up-date their built in maps. Im sure someone would have started screaming by now and we would all know that only the US models get to do the up-date.

Someone in customer service is confused/new or something.
    Todd is going to look in to it and post once he has a definitive response. It seems weird to me as well.

Regarding 2017 mapping availability, updated LakeVu and BlueChart accessory cards will be available for purchase March 15. Cards to update the preloaded, built-in mapping won't be available until May 3.

However, note that for 2015-2016 echoMAP units preloaded with LakeVu HD, this 2017 preloaded mapping update is too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. Users will have to keep the mapping card in the unit to view 2017 mapping, as well as any future mapping updates.

The new echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.

If users attempt a built-in map update to 2015 or older mapping prior to the May 3 availability of the 2017 mapping, users will also have to keep the 2016 update card in the unit (data will not permanently transfer to unit memory), just as I described above for the 2017 mapping update and any additional years.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 03-03-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Garmin Pro Team

Thanks for the update Todd, even though it's a wee bit frustrating. Since we have to leave the cards in, it would be nice if the maps were on larger SD Cards seeing as we take screenshots, recordings, Quickdraw etc. and the 8GB cards currently provided are pretty small and we HAVE to use that card as the maps are linked to the card's CID so copies won't work on a different card. Seems like a bit of a facepalm moment that they made these units unable to be updated because the built-in memory is too small. At least we can download it from Express and put the maps on any SD card we want, so that makes things easier.

For the March 15th update, is that for US maps only or also for Canada?

Thanks again
    Dan

For the March 15th update, is that for US maps only or also for Canada?

Thanks again
    Dan
    March 15 is for all accessory mapping cards, including Canada.
    Garmin Pro Team

March 15 is for all accessory mapping cards, including Canada.
    Does Garmin publish a list of what's been added in the Canadian version by any chance?

Thanks!
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast