Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good co-angler bag?

What are some suggestion for a good bag to use when a co-angler? Should I just not worry about it and use my run of the mill soft sided bag?

2. Member
    A soft sided bag is fine but I like the Back packs... If you start getting into bigger tournaments the boater will usually keep the passenger side back compartment open for your stuff anyway(be prepared because some guys don't)...So all you need to do is get your Plano style boxes to the boat...Most guys break their stuff down and put it into the compartment..

I like to use one that will fit in the boater's rear compartment, to keep he floor area clear. As said above, not all boaters keep a compartment available, so your bag may be at your feet, and smaller is better.
    Phoenixed
    2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI

4. Member
    I use a Walmart sack when I go as a co. Then I rummage thru all my partner's stuff to find what I need
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Banned
    ^^^As said above a plain plastic bag for the most part!

6. Member
    If boat has tackle storage system in a back compartment that holds 3700 size boxes I use them and put soft plastics in a small soft bag and lay that under my feet. If not I have a Browning soft side I put them in that holds 9 -3700 plus room for soft plastic baits. Works fine but I had rather not even have to take stuff out of my boat and decide what I have to take. It's a pain to me.

7. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 03-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    I use the old pre Plano Tackle Logic bag, it's about 20 years old and still in use, I have to "lube" the zippers to get them to work. You need a bag that will fit under the passenger console of a bass boat. Not everyone will make room for your tackle, and I fished with some boat owners who fished out of a tackle bag between the consoles, so you have no room (I forgot my gas money, oops).

The bag hold 4 3700 boxes in the outside pockets, 8 3600 or 10 tackle binders on the inside and 4 side pockets for accessories.

10. Member
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10204414/

This bag for a few reasons:

1) It's a backpack so it serves a few purposes: Easy to carry, when I go bank fishing I throw this on my back and can fish and carry tackle seamlessly, lots of storage.
    2) It unzips in the middle and creates two bags, this is handy because you can store the top half in a compartment and the bottom half is very small at that point and can be at your feet/on deck and not get in the way.
    3) It allows you to set up for two different scenarios and you just need to choose top half or bottom half and you will have what you need at that time. I usually set up my bag with the top half having everything I need for depths over 8-10 feet and the bottom half for shallow water things. Yes this meant having the same types of baits in both halves, but it allowed me to have a shallow bag and a deep bag and only needing to file through 1/2 of my stuff at a time.

As a whole, this bag is a beast, but when split it's extremely convenient and really allowed me to be more organized overall.

I don't have a boat this year so I'm in the same situation. I'm going to try the bass pro boat bag. It's just a 12 X 12 X 24 duffle bag basically. I feel like it will give me a few more options for organizing. I put 6 3600's in half of it (1 deep, 5standard) organized my plastics into gallon freezer bags in the other half. Put tools and accessories in a small worm bag I had and threw it in there. And have room for a life vest and a few other things, possibly even a rain suit tightly packed. It's a little bigger than I would like but I've heard some other guys that do this say they liked it.

It's a little larger bag than most, but I can have everything in one bag without carrying a seperate one for plastics and such. I plan to have it under my legs while running and sit it in the seat while fishing to keep it out of the way. Like I said, not sure how I'll like it, but going to try it out.

If I don't like this set up, I think I'm going to give the Cabelas 3600 advanced angler's bag a shot.

bass_pro_shops_extreme_boat_bags_1_grande.jpg
    Last edited by NiteBite6855; 02-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.

12. Member
    Plano 4473 SoftSider Tackle
    Bag

Here's a great co-angler bag! I'm a big fan of this tackle bag and it has served me well for 3 years so far. It comes with everything you need and has plenty of storage. It's the perfect size.

13. Member
    Check out the Okeechobee Fats bags. I have one and can store 5-6 3700 boxes and 1-2 3600 boxes plus whatever else I may need in the additional pockets. I keep my plastics in one of the blue bags BASS sends out for joining.

14. Member
    I bought a ton of bags. Everything I bought at least 50% off or used gift cards or had someone give me so overall I'm not out much money. I currently own a...

Plano Guide Series 3600. Great bag...just a touch too small if you wanted to take rain gear, etc. fits under your legs great. The only knock was that sometimes I wish I had a touch more storage.

Plano Guide Series 3700. Great bag. I use 3600 size boxes and have plenty of room for speed bags of plastics and extra reels and rain gear.

Cabelas Magnum. Didn't fit under your legs (too tall). nice organization stuff. It's a great bag but I honestly found that I carried too much stuff. Layout is really good.

Falcon FTO. Been using this one a lot lately. It's kinda in between the Plano Guide Series 3600 and 3700 in terms of storage capacity. Fits under your legs great. This is a bag that is becoming my #2

wild river backpack (use this trout fishing). Really a outstanding bag. If you want a backpack style I absolutely recommend this brand.

And finally the overall bag I recommend for a co angler....

a duffel bag. Don't tell my wife or family as they're the ones who've bought me the ones above.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    ^^^As said above a plain plastic bag for the most part!

that will be a mess when a hook tears a hole in your fancy bag.

16. Member
    My old bag was basically this one (older blue and orange model): http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...ct/1304050934/

It holds 8 3600 or 5 3700 (or 12 3601s) boxes, plus lots of side pockets for bags of plastics, line, extra reels, etc. Since it lays flat, you can stick it under your feet and still have room. It's also a backpack and has 2 sets of rod straps so you can go bank fishing and carry a couple extra rods hands free. This would be my choice if space is limited.

I upgraded for my own small boat to this: (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ag%26CQ_st%3Db) in Magnum size. It holds 8 3700 boxes. For people who had room on their boat for it, I'd use this, with a change. I would only keep 4-5 3700 boxes max, and put my bags of plastics in the rest of the space in the main compartment. Jigs and terminal tackle were kept in 3600 boxes in the external compartments. Most of the time, I talked to the boater and would ask if I could put a strap around the rear seat pole and just set it on the rear deck. It worked for me (but we also do paper tournaments, no live weigh-in so livewells aren't used).
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

17. Banned
    Plano Guide Series, 3700 series model

Holds 6 of the 3700 trays, swap one of those for a Plano Falcon FTO terminal tackle tray which is the greatest tray a co-angler can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I use a Walmart sack when I go as a co. Then I rummage thru all my partner's stuff to find what I need
    If you carry a Walmart sack with you for a tackle box on tournament day as a co , .... You might be a Redneck

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Winkleworm FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    I don't have a boat this year so I'm in the same situation. I'm going to try the bass pro boat bag. It's just a 12 X 12 X 24 duffle bag basically. I feel like it will give me a few more options for organizing. I put 6 3600's in half of it (1 deep, 5standard) organized my plastics into gallon freezer bags in the other half. Put tools and accessories in a small worm bag I had and threw it in there. And have room for a life vest and a few other things, possibly even a rain suit tightly packed. It's a little bigger than I would like but I've heard some other guys that do this say they liked it.

It's a little larger bag than most, but I can have everything in one bag without carrying a seperate one for plastics and such. I plan to have it under my legs while running and sit it in the seat while fishing to keep it out of the way. Like I said, not sure how I'll like it, but going to try it out.

If I don't like this set up, I think I'm going to give the Cabelas 3600 advanced angler's bag a shot.

I had one of my Co anglers bring a water proof bag like that...It worked great for him and was easy to tuck away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast