Electric golf cart question

Buying an electric golf cart for the wife this weekend and it needs batteries. My question is simple, am i buying deep cycle or standard 12 volt starting batteries? It's an older cart that has 6 12 volt batteries that have been neglected, it's been sitting a while. Thanks
    Last edited by skeeterator; 02-22-2017 at 08:15 AM.

2. Member
    I replaced my batteries couple years ago- got 10 years out of 1st set, but believe they were deep cycle, Trojan brand, and was 1100 or 1200 bucks but their great batteries

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Golf cart batteries are deep cycles. Usually dedicated golf cart batteries. Trojan 1275 is the cream of the crop in 12V cart batteries IMO.

Make absolutely sure they aren't 8V batteries. 6 12V batteries would be unusual in an older cart. 48V is probably the most common configuration, and 6 8V batteries would get you that. Some people "overvolt" them for more power, but these are usually pretty souped up already with lifts, offroad tires etc.. That's not to say there aren't 72V carts, but it doesn't seem like what you'd find in an older cart.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Deep cycle. And they are probably either 6 or 8 volt batteries. The older carts were 36 volt and over the last 15 years 48 volt. Make sure you find out which one before u buy. You should be able
    to tell by looking at the batteries. Each cell is 2 volts, if there is 3 cells its a 6 volt, if there are four, then its an 8 volt