Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Exclamation No depth reading at speed

So, just a bit of a rant here.

Since I've installed the unit (HELIX 9 MEGA CHIRP SI GPS G2N). I've not had depth readings at speed, it bounces all around from 4 feet to 600 feet to 300 feet, etc.) Works fine at lower speeds.

I contacted Humminbird and the response I got was:

*To get your readings at higher speeds you will need to install another transducer. The XP 9 20 with the AS SI DBY Y adapter. This will only give you the depth at high speed and this is only if your boat is single layer fiberglass.*

For $1400 you would think this could provide depth readings at any speed, but now I have to spend another $100 just for depth readings at speed. Is this common across all fish finders?
    Last edited by rob0225; 02-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.

2. Member
    Yes its common. Skimmer transducer lose depth readings at speeds over about 30 MPH. A thru hull transducer keeps depth readings at higher speeds.

3. Member
    That's been the way it is for a long time.... your depth reading is pulled from 2D sonar and it sure can't read very well when it's out of the water.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

4. Member
    If you get set correctly you can get high speed 2d readings. Been hearing from some users they are getting readings at 60mph with the mega transducer. But that is a $350 transducer sitting pretty low and get busted up
    I defiantly would be putting it On a spring back bracket from transducer shield and saver. Some larger center consoles you can't use a shoot thru transducer.
    Last edited by ntslam; 02-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.

The HELIX 9 MEGA CHIRP SI GPS G2N would require the MSIDB Y cable not the AS SI DB Y, the AS SI DB Y is used on the NON MEGA unit.
    Deborah @ Humminbird

6. Member
    I would not be letting my Side Imaging transducer sit below pad by any means. It is going to affect your performance, and you are also risking a very expensive transducer. That is why you have a shoot-thru 2d transducer in the bilge and run the cable to the console. Plug into Y cable, and plug side imaging ducer cable into other. Plug that into your unit.

Now you have on plane readings, and aren't risking your transducer. Just my personal $.02. You can get both components for under $100.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

7. Banned
    While I'm not new to boats, this is my first bass boat. So maybe I'm not as conditioned and look at this from a different perspective. When I bought the HELIX, it indicates that it provides depth readings. No where in the process does it indicate depth isn't available at speed and would need to purchase additional components at $100 bucks for that "feature". Sorry, that to me is not good practice.

8. Member
    Depth is available at speed but in order to obtain it you have to mount the transducer below the running surface. If you are comfortable with mounting your expensive transducer in that location then you will get high speed reading, otherwise you need a shoot thru connected to the SI transducer. Probably 90% if not more are configured that way no matter what brand.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rob0225 View Post
    While I'm not new to boats, this is my first bass boat. So maybe I'm not as conditioned and look at this from a different perspective. When I bought the HELIX, it indicates that it provides depth readings. No where in the process does it indicate depth isn't available at speed and would need to purchase additional components at $100 bucks for that "feature". Sorry, that to me is not good practice.
    I was just ranting about this in another forum..You spend $$$$$$$ and can't get high speed readings. I understand the concept of these high tech units. But at least have a notation on the description of the units that added accessories is needed. I'm going thru the same dilemma..

If you do a little research this is the same no matter what the brand. With some boats a transducer on the transom isn't even in the water on plane........ You probably don't want to hear this, but you should have done more research on transducer mounting before you made your purchase. You have an unrealistic expectation. There are various ways to get high speed reading depending on what boat hull you have.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    If you do a little research this is the same no matter what the brand. With some boats a transducer on the transom isn't even in the water on plane........ You probably don't want to hear this, but you should have done more research on transducer mounting before you made your purchase. You have an unrealistic expectation. There are various ways to get high speed reading depending on what boat hull you have.
    I disagree, the onus in my mind is on the manufacturer. The product claims to provide depth, they should be more specific especially considering depth is a key factor in both safe boating and fishing.

If you install the transducer in accordance with their recommendations .... you will have a depth reading.

This has been common knowledge for as long as I've been around boats. Transom mounted transducers rarely read depth at high speed because they are normally out of the water when the boat is on plane. Sure, you can mount them low enough to read at speed but you're going to be replacing an awful lot of transducers.

14. Member
    been lucky that I have not broken one, not all boats can use a shoot thru transducer. This has helped though

http://www.transducershieldandsaver....-back-bracket/

I guess the bottom line is that if you come on here looking for solutions to a problem with high speed depth reading ..... you will get a lot of help. Complaining for the sake of complaining won't get a lot of sympathy.

16. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    I guess the bottom line is that if you come on here looking for solutions to a problem with high speed depth reading ..... you will get a lot of help. Complaining for the sake of complaining won't get a lot of sympathy.
    That seems a LOT like a post I typed on another thread a while ago Bob...

The whole world is wrong, and I am one of the ignorant ones...LOL !

I have been installing, using and trouble shooting sonar of all brands for over 25 years - and I have learned it takes ZERO time or experience to disagree with a quarter century of fully vetted common sense and experience.

Let it go brother............
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

17. Member
    I didn't read every transducer installation instructions but the ones I've read all indicated testing required for optimum speed reading or high speed depth readings may not be possible on some hulls. Its totally unrealistic to expect any of the manufacturers to guarantee depth readings at a certain speed. If you're depending on depth readings at 70mph, you're depending on the wrong reference.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

18. Member
    What are my options for an aluminum boat to get readings at 20-25 mph? After having a SI transducer installed I lose depth around 8-10 mph.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandsmallies View Post
    What are my options for an aluminum boat to get readings at 20-25 mph? After having a SI transducer installed I lose depth around 8-10 mph.
    Might try the Tin Boat Forum on here but I've seen mention of the Alumaducer

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandsmallies View Post
    It depends on your hull ...... I have a skimmer transducer mounted on mine and get depth readings at WOT ..... 38-40. My brother just mounted the HDSI on his old aluminum tracker bass boat and gets depth readings to WOT unless it is very rough.

Here is how I mounted mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast