Centrifugal or Magnetic brakes for big crankbaits?

Hey gang, what are your thoughts on which braking system is better at preventing spool overrun when tossing larger crankbaits (DT16, 5XD, 6XD)? I have a 7'8" grahite,glass-wrapped Lunker Stick that feels like it'll pitch a crankbait a mile. The way this rod loads I imagine the spool on whaterver reel I pair with it will accelerate quickly right out of the shoot. Considering a BB1 Pro or a Super Duty for deep crankin'. Both have spool tension knob, but the BB1 is centrifugal, the SD magnetic. Thoughts on best reel for this application? Thanks
    Last edited by RiparianRanger; 02-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.

2. Member
    IMO, with a longer power cranking stick that loads deep, and with your casting those bigger/heavier lures...either will be fine. I personally think that once you get into streamlined lures in the 3/4oz + range, that a deeper/heavier spool that holds more line AND has a spool shaft (non free-floating design) casts in these situations further. Think of this in terms of more line going out per spool revolution during the cast as well due to the deeper spool (larger diameter). Otherwise, the weight of the heavier spool + line will have more inertia throughout the cast.

FWIW, I cast lights out and farther than I want to reel back with custom Seeker S Glass blanks paired with old-school Daiwa PT33SH reels with upgraded bearings and 20lb - 30lb braid...this combo LAUNCHES. If you are not familiar with these reels, it is Daiwa's OG Magforce, large heavy/deep spool with spool shaft design...kind of a combo between Shimano's (most common) current spool design and Daiwa's magnetic casting control.

Try both and see which you prefer.

Good luck
    Last edited by dragon1; 02-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.

3. Member
    For me personally, I like the centrifugal braking system when launching big baits. Yeah sure, you can fine tune a real with magnetic brakes easier but in my experience I've noticed that reels with centrifugal brakes cast better/further, and easier.

Lew's BB2 Speed Spool

I'm by no means forcing this reel on you but have you considered this reel? It's the BB1 with a wider spool. That's gonna give extra long casts. It has a centrifugal braking system too. It's only like 0.2 ounces heavier and only $10 more. The only difference really is that the lowest gear ratio is only a 6.4:1, not a 5.1:1. But to be honest, I notice no difference between the 6.4:1 & 5.1:1 when cranking big plugs, and I throw them a lot. Just a thought.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

BigBass - been leaning toward the BB1 Pro. Have heard nothing but rave reviews about the brake system.