Thread: Trolling motor?

Trolling motor?

Guys I originally posted this in the lounge because of the traffic there, but only got one reply. I have a 2015 z7 with 24v 70# minkota. Lots of gear and 500lb of people with calm water I run about 2.3 MPH on 100%. I'm thinking of upgrading to ultrex but want opinions on 80# or stepping up to 36v and the 112#. I don't know what the average speed is at 100%, but that seems slow to me. I really appreciate your help, thanks.

I have a 36v Motorguide 109# and the Z7 flies. Plus it goes all day.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Pro XS 250 4 Stroke
    112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance HDS 12 live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live
    12" Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra

Yea bro i have the 36V 112 Terrova w/ipilot link on a Z9 and it moves and lasts all day i would suggest if you are going to make the change make it to the 36V and 112 if the price suits ya

Unless you fish a river I'd stay with 80 pound. I know the z7 is different than my friends skeeter zx180 both are 18'8" and as he has a 109mg we keep talking about loosing a battery and going 80 pound so the boat weighs in at substantially less. What does top speed matter if I may ask? Ps I run a 101 terrova at 3.6 mph on my z8 and my 112 fortrex only hits 3.2. What gives? I believe it to be the depth that the motor is pushing water at. My 60" terrova is burried in the lake when fishing offshore muskies. But the fortrex is shallow for bass. The fortrex moves water under the hull making more resistance the, terrova moves water far enough under the boat it doesn't make for added resistance to the hull.

In addition my dads boat had a 80# terrova on it and it would go 2.8 till it was wearing out then 2.2 we spent about 175$ for new parts like brushes? And it perked rite up. Dads boat is a 18' warrior deep v walleye boat. Very heavy with high sides and a lot of draft. Has your z7!always performed this way or is it possible it is failing due to age/use?

6. Member
    I have the Motor Guide 75 pound 24 volt on my Z6 and rarely move it from low speed and I've never run down the batteries. My only complaint is that the lowest speed engages too suddenly, especially when turning, that it will throw you out of the boat.

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I was just wanting to compare top speeds to determine if I needed to go bigger. I'll probably just stick with 24v. NOWWWWW, I'm hearing the new ultrex foot pedal won't fit in my z7 recessed tray........Figures.