2017 G3 Sportsman 17PFX

I posted this in the lounge, probably wasn't the right place.
    Looking for advice on the following setup. Especially the electronics.

Im relatively new to fishing, only started about three years ago but all I can say is, I'm hooked!
    Started fishing out of a kayak for a year and then bought a modest little used Tracker pro16.
    Now it's time to upgrade to a more suitable setup, and judging from a lot of posts and threads on this forum, there's a lot of very experienced and helpful folks here. So please feel free to throw in your 2c.
    I mostly fish on the Brazos river and a few local lakes. I'm a jack of all fishing and master of none! Depending on time of year, weather and where I go, I'll fish for crappie, all types of bass, especially sandies this time of year. Largemouth, stripers and a little bit of catfishing, haven't had as much luck with the catfish.
    After looking at a lot of boats and configurations it came down to two tin boats.
    A G3 Sportsman 17PFX and an Xpress X19 PRO.
    I think the G3 is going to be the winner for me even though it lacks decent rod storage.
    So now I need to deck it out.
    There are so many options from so many different manufacturers, it's mind boggling for a newbie!
    I've very limited experience with fish finders except for a little Humminbird 197c on the Tracker so I'm not biased towards any one brand in particular. I do however like the idea of an I pilot link model trolling motor which can self deploy when unloading on my own (about 60% of the time) and can autopilot along maps, depth and manual heading. It seems only Humminbird is compatible though.
    There are other goodies I want to add such as two 12' Talons, possibly adding oxygenator's to the livewell's, locking and lighted compartments, and some kind of trolling rod holders on the back, middle and front of the boat.
    Tracker have a verstrack system which I find awesome but the G3 is lacking in this area.
    Suggestions very much welcome!!!
    As far as electronics and TM, I have come up with the following:
    (Again, please feel free to make recommendations or if I've missed something)

24v 80lb Ulterra with Ipilot Link.
    Humminbird transom mount 360* transducer (which will work in tandem with the trolling motors sonar only built in transducer.
    Two Humminbird Helix 10 G2N GPS units (one MEGA SI and one CHIRP) networked together with all the three transducers on the boat giving the ability to see regular sonar, DI, SI, MEGA, CHIRP and 360* imaging from either of the Helix units, and split screen ability of most image types simultaneously.
    http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...tyle/HELIX_FW/

360* imaging
    http://www.humminbird.com/Category/T...y/360-Imaging/

24v 80lb Ulterra I pilot link with built in sonar transducer.
    http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Ulterra/

Sounds like you have it all worked out. As far as other options, if your going to spend all that cash on electronics and talons you can certainly install a track system and LED comp lights. The issue then becomes batteries and weight. Also if your looking at an X19 pro why not the G3 sportsman 19 or the Crestliner series?
    Mark
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury Pro XS 150
    Lowrance HDS 9s
    Lowrance Ghost
    6" Slidemaster Jackplate

3. LDraper
    I have a Sportsman 17 that does not have the live well in the front. Tracker went down the road with the front live well and I do not remember seeing any positive reviews about it. That area where the front live well is could be valuable storage. As for rod storage, take out the road racks inside the rod lockers and you will be able to fit all the rods you need inside of that area. Someone on this board suggested that little modification. As for electronics I added an Elite 7TI and I love it. Over time I hope to add a unit up front and add a bigger trolling motor.

For the money you can not go wrong with the G3...hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaws134 View Post
    Sounds like you have it all worked out. As far as other options, if your going to spend all that cash on electronics and talons you can certainly install a track system and LED comp lights. The issue then becomes batteries and weight. Also if your looking at an X19 pro why not the G3 sportsman 19 or the Crestliner series?
    Thanks for the reply, and good question. The X19PRO has plenty of rod storage and I liked the boat but the down side was no livewell up front, on almost every Xpress boat I looked at when at the dealer the compartments were wet or damp. Also looking at the perforated welds which were still clearly visible even through the paint and the amount of complaints online about cracked welds is what made it a deal breaker for me. They have a crappie version but the front seat pedestals are way too far back from the bow.
    The G3 sportsman 19 was strongly in contention, things I loved was the bigger rod storage compartment and a secondary one on the other side, drainable cooler, and could get it in vinyl. The dealer even said he would add the two extra seat pedestals up front.
    The only thing I didn't like was theres no front livewell, I wish they made a 19PFX, I would pull the trigger on it in a heartbeat. I even called G3 directly to see if I could talk them into adding the front livewell but they don't really do customization. I could live without the front livewell for the decent rod storage.
    One other thing, I haven't seen the 19 in the flesh but when I got into the 17PFX it felt huge! The deck is so well thought out that it felt longer and wider than any 19' boat I'd seen. Kind of left me thinking the 19 would be way more boat than what I need. I fish a lot in a shallow river. Then there's the extra cash to think about. The difference in price would almost kit the 17 out in electronics.
    So this is where I'm at. Haven't really looked at the Crestliner.

5. Member
    I have a 2015 Sportsman 17. I wanted the single live well version. It has the 90hp yamaha 4 stroke on it. Love the motor! I took the rod holder out of my rod compartment and used rod socks. You can put about 20 rods in here like that.The boat runs great you will get about 40 mph loaded in that boat with the stock 16 pitch prop.

I went with the Garmin 93sv on the back and the 73dv on the front. I also got the chip (Lakeview ultra) Love that thing. It is the chirp version. I am just starting to really get into learning it. This is my first boat too.

You are going to see wield lines in any tin boat. I researched it and they said if you don't see wield lines then don't buy the boat. I did have one factory defect when I purchased the boat. The paint started flaking off the bottom of the boat in sheets. I contacted my dealer and G3. They shipped by boat back to the factory and they repainted the entire thing.

According to G3 my boat was the only they had reported to have had the problem. I am happy they fixed it no questions asked. They said apparently the primer is an "etching" primer which from my understanding leaves very small groves in the aluminum so the paint can adhere to it, was a faulty batch.

I do find it really odd though that there are no owner reviews on the Sportsman 17 on Youtube. I think I may do one this spring or summer. Give the pros and cons. Over all its a good boat handles like a jet at 40mph. However, if you see white capping water your gonna need to slow down unless you wanna pee blood haha
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link

Quote Originally Posted by LDraper View Post
    I have a Sportsman 17 that does not have the live well in the front. Tracker went down the road with the front live well and I do not remember seeing any positive reviews about it. That area where the front live well is could be valuable storage. As for rod storage, take out the road racks inside the rod lockers and you will be able to fit all the rods you need inside of that area. Someone on this board suggested that little modification. As for electronics I added an Elite 7TI and I love it. Over time I hope to add a unit up front and add a bigger trolling motor.

For the money you can not go wrong with the G3...hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
    Good info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BassbossG3 View Post
    I have a 2015 Sportsman 17. I wanted the single live well version. It has the 90hp yamaha 4 stroke on it. Love the motor! I took the rod holder out of my rod compartment and used rod socks. You can put about 20 rods in here like that.The boat runs great you will get about 40 mph loaded in that boat with the stock 16 pitch prop.

I went with the Garmin 93sv on the back and the 73dv on the front. I also got the chip (Lakeview ultra) Love that thing. It is the chirp version. I am just starting to really get into learning it. This is my first boat too.

You are going to see wield lines in any tin boat. I researched it and they said if you don't see wield lines then don't buy the boat. I did have one factory defect when I purchased the boat. The paint started flaking off the bottom of the boat in sheets. I contacted my dealer and G3. They shipped by boat back to the factory and they repainted the entire thing.

According to G3 my boat was the only they had reported to have had the problem. I am happy they fixed it no questions asked. They said apparently the primer is an "etching" primer which from my understanding leaves very small groves in the aluminum so the paint can adhere to it, was a faulty batch.

I do find it really odd though that there are no owner reviews on the Sportsman 17 on Youtube. I think I may do one this spring or summer. Give the pros and cons. Over all its a good boat handles like a jet at 40mph. However, if you see white capping water your gonna need to slow down unless you wanna pee blood haha
    Very informative, thanks.
    The 90 is what I'm going for too, they seem to be a very reliable and fuel efficient motor.
    Good tip on the rod storage as you and others have pointed out.
    As far as the weld lines, absolutely your going to see them. I was referring to the excessive perforations in the welds on the Xpress boats, which the G3's I looked at didn't have anything noticeable, if any.
    You are right about the lack of reviews on YouTube, virtually nothing! Yet these 17' models are selling like hot Cakes!
    While I was at the dealer (Plano Marine in Plano, TX) the guy was telling me they just ordered another fifteen of them and almost have them all sold already. Literally, he got two calls inquiring about the 17' while we were at his desk.
    The only one they had there for me to look at was the last one sold from the previous batch getting some fancy stuff on it.
    He also told me he hasn't yet ever sold a 19' model.
    I was very close to considering the 19' with single livewell, in a vinyl finish. The dealer said they'd even install the two pedestal locations on the front like a PFX. It was only when I sat in and walked around the 17' that I realized how much deck space it had and figured the 19' would be way more boat than I want whilest paying more for it.
    It rained hard the night before I looked at the G3, and one thing I really liked was the compartments were bone dry.
    What did you do about rod holders on your boat?

8. Member
    I have the carpet version and well, the main storage will leak a bit. The other compartments seem to stay dry. The main storage in the front, does not have a lip around top of it once you open the compartment you will see what I am talking about. However, the compartment is HUGE and you can store almost anything in it extra seat, tackle, cooler, etc.. I keep a blanket in a dry bag in there for my 6 yro when she goes with me and it gets colder on the ride back.

The 5900 RMPs concerned me at top end. Over rev. on that motor is around 6200rpm and I got scared I would shorten the life of the motor running up that high. I ended up replacing the stock 16 pitch prop with a Solas Amita aluminum 17 pitch prop https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/..._XCBoCJoDw_wcB. Actually it runs around the same speed but it dropped the RMPs down to 5700 RPM at WOT. I could not find an 18 aluminum prop for that motor. They do make a 18 pitch SS prop however. I did not upgrade to the SS prop because I spoke with a few techs at different dealerships. They recommended that anything under a 115hp motor they would stay with a aluminum because the gears in the gear box on the 90 hps are finer than the 115 hps and are more out to break or crack if you hit anything with a SS prop. They said aluminum props will break saving the gears. That's gonna be about a $1,500 repair on a good day and could be more.

Over all the boat runs great! Like I said it drives like a dream at WOT.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link

9. Member
    hi
    i too recently ordered the g3 17 with same options same motor -- not sure of 2 talons or 1-- i order 1 but i really would like 2 -have you used your boat and if so have you had any problems with the 2 talons
    thanks
    bob