Questions about thermostats getting stuck

2016 225 pro XS serial number 2B 125818

My motor wouldn't get above 80 on Sunday so I pulled my thermostats and found small a small rock/grain of sand in both of them. Cleaned them out, put the boat in the water yesterday, hit 120 degrees no problem at idle and made about a 8 mile run to where I wanted to fish in water with a ton of junk floating in it (we got 2.5 inches of rain the night before). When I started to my motor to run to a different place it wouldn't get about 90 degrees. Put my boat in the water this AM just to see my idle temps on the first start and temps didn't go above 84. So I need to clean my thermostats again today once my new gaskets arrive which isn't a big deal.

So my questions;

Did I maybe miss a step when I cleaned my thermostats the first time that might have missed debris? Like down the hose that water flows up to the thermostat cover? I followed the steps in Don's sticky but it is possible I missed something and don't know enough about how it all works to know I need to clean or flush something else.

What happens to debris that makes it through the thermostat? Is there something else I need to clean?

Is there something in front of the thermostat that I need to clean?

Is there a start up/shut down procedure that will help minimize the chance of something sticking one open? The ramp I am using doesn't have a courtesy dock so I have been beaching my boat everyday (Highland lake all rock and sand).

I love mercury but you'd think they could engineer a better T-stat. They seem to make them to run in clean water all the time

3. Member
    Try flushing out the motor. There is still debris in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Try flushing out the motor. There is still debris in the system.
    Do I do this with the thermostats back in? And do you mean flush like you are supposed to do if you run in brackish water or salt water? And sorry if these are dumb questions.

5. Member
    I would leave the thermostats out, with the covers on. Flush with the motor off, using the flushing port.

6. Member
    Also might consider cleaning the compressor strainer and flushing again as a good bit of trash can wash out the bottom with the strainer (air compressor) removed. I'd bet you have another stuck 'stat with the same kind of trash blocking it again.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

I would leave the thermostats out, with the covers on. Flush with the motor off, using the flushing port.
    Awesome. I can easily do that.

Thanks, Savage.

8. Member
    I'm glad to see someone else had the same question. I'm doing both of these on Sunday and was wondering about flushing out the thermostats. I got the parts from European Marine last week. I was wondering if I can do the thermostats and the strainer at the same time. I know the strainer needs to be removed to flush it
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

9. Member
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    I'm glad to see someone else had the same question. I'm doing both of these on Sunday and was wondering about flushing out the thermostats. I got the parts from European Marine last week. I was wondering if I can do the thermostats and the strainer at the same time. I know the strainer needs to be removed to flush it
    If you haven't done it before I took some pictures of a few of the steps today that I can post up.

11. Member
    Looking at the picture of your boat in your signature, you should trim the motor up before beaching the boat, so you don't plow debris into the 4 low water pick-up holes in the lower unit.

Looking at the picture of your boat in your signature, you should trim the motor up before beaching the boat, so you don't plow debris into the 4 low water pick-up holes in the lower unit.
    its about 3 feet deep under the motor but I will be better about it becuase while it's not hard to pull out he thermostats I'd rather not have to do it. Unbolting the starboard fuel rail freakes me out a little bit.

i did get my stats cleaned out and flushed the motor as you suggested. I don't have the tools I need with me down here to pull the strainer and I'll be back at my Omaha house in 2-3 weeks but if you think I should clean it sooner I can track some down.

If you think of any thing else I should do let me know.

13. Member
    Yeah that would be a big help. Don't wanna move something I shouldn't on the rails. The strainer seems easy enough. I got a new one since it looks stock I'm just gonna replace it and I got the radius zip ties for it.
    And I've never thought about it when you trim the motor down with the low water pickups getting debris.
    Makes sense
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

14. Member
    Yep if you don't trim the motor up, when your on the trolling motor, and the lower unit drags the bottom, debris gets jammed into the low water pickups!

Yep if you don't trim the motor up, when your on the trolling motor, and the lower unit drags the bottom, debris gets jammed into the low water pickups!
    I ran all day today with good temps. Thanks again for your help and telling me how to flush it, Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    Yeah that would be a big help. Don't wanna move something I shouldn't on the rails. The strainer seems easy enough. I got a new one since it looks stock I'm just gonna replace it and I got the radius zip ties for it.
    And I've never thought about it when you trim the motor down with the low water pickups getting debris.
    Makes sense
    On my 225 you can get the port side off without moving/doing anything with the rail you just need to use an open ended 8 mm wrench on it. On the starboard side I only loosened the rail enough to get the bolt out using my 8 mm wrench. If the bottom starboard bolt was 5-6 mm shorter you could pull the cover without touching the rail.

I'd recommend having a spare set of gaskets around just in case. Mine were good but I did order a few spare.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    I ran all day today with good temps. Thanks again for your help and telling me how to flush it, Savage.
    Your welcome........stay trimmed up!

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your welcome........stay trimmed up!
    +1... keeping that engine up away from the bottom and debris definitely helps.

Don't want to pull in shallow like this:

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    must be some good fishing there, different boats, same spot on lake, funny