Ultrex vs Terrova

What would be the advantages of an Ultrex over a Terrova on a Ranger RT188? Seems to me the Ultrex is designed for the larger fiberglass boats, and I am trying to decide which to get. I'm comfortable with the electric steer and rarely use my foot control. Any preferences, suggestions?
    ジェラルドの天候
    2021 Ranger 188P 115 Merc CT
    SWMBO ProStaff

2. Member
    Pick the one you're comfortable with. Having a Fortrex previously, I made choice of Ultrex. I feel more comfortable with a foot control and the Ultrex improved upon that over the Fortrex.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Seems to me the feature list is the same other than the power assisted steering. IMO, The Ultrex is for people who couldn't get used to the slow turning speeds of the terrova. I don't believe that hull material is a factor to use to weigh which one to get.

IMO, it sounds like you would be fine with the Terrova.

Personally, I have a Terrova and really like it. I will however be mounting an Ultrex on my next boat as that faster assisted steering would come in handy around docks.

4. Member
    the mount is a lot better on the ultrex

Do the mount holes match for the Ultrex and the Edge?
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff

6. Member
    I've had a Terrova and now an Ultrex. My back and balance really had a hard time with deploying and stowing the Terrova. The Ultrex is much easier in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I've had a Terrova and now an Ultrex. My back and balance really had a hard time with deploying and stowing the Terrova. The Ultrex is much easier in that department.
    I heard that, anything easier on an old guy is good.
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff

8. Member
    not sure on the edge probably not same as the fortress

9. Member
    I went from an Edge to a Terrova on an SX-190. It's an 18-1/2" boat. I use the remote and leave the foot pedal in a compartment. For the relatively small size of a foot pedal, not having it out has really opened up the front deck.

I fish shallow, docks and stumps, with the wife too. No issues with speed of turning, noise or having to get back and get a snagged lure loose.

I do do not think the edge mount and fortrex mount holes are the same. I put the Terrova on an MK-47 quick release bracket and had to drill new holes in the boat. I'm under the impression the fortrex and MK-47 bracket holes are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCook View Post
    I went from an Edge to a Terrova on an SX-190. It's an 18-1/2" boat. I use the remote and leave the foot pedal in a compartment. For the relatively small size of a foot pedal, not having it out has really opened up the front deck.

I fish shallow, docks and stumps, with the wife too. No issues with speed of turning, noise or having to get back and get a snagged lure loose.

I do do not think the edge mount and fortrex mount holes are the same. I put the Terrova on an MK-47 quick release bracket and had to drill new holes in the boat. I'm under the impression the fortrex and MK-47 bracket holes are the same.
    i like the Terrova, and I think the new deploy lever will help. I'm thinking the Ultrex may be overkill for Mr, im just a crappie/ bream fisherman. For some reason the Ultrex seems designed for the larger bass boats. Sturdier frame, etc.
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    i like the Terrova, and I think the new deploy lever will help. I'm thinking the Ultrex may be overkill for Mr, im just a crappie/ bream fisherman. For some reason the Ultrex seems designed for the larger bass boats. Sturdier frame, etc.
    Give Dave at Shut-Up-And-Fish (972-737-8161) a call and get you one of these handy handles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Benefits for ultrex are the foot pedal for those used to fortrex, no need to take your eyes away from target knowing your foots position tells you where it's pointing. The terrova weighs less. I learned on electric steer and have had better luck going up on the shallow rocks with terrova over fortex because the trex is harder to adjust up so you pull the cord some then you loose traction in the water etc terrova can just slide up then add power and it will bind at that level for you. In your case just get the terrova and save the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Benefits for ultrex are the foot pedal for those used to fortrex, no need to take your eyes away from target knowing your foots position tells you where it's pointing. The terrova weighs less. I learned on electric steer and have had better luck going up on the shallow rocks with terrova over fortex because the trex is harder to adjust up so you pull the cord some then you loose traction in the water etc terrova can just slide up then add power and it will bind at that level for you. In your case just get the terrova and save the $$$
    I think the Ultrex is overkill for me. Pretty sure I'm going with the Terrova.
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff