Best size jack plate (inches) for a 96 20XD w/98 225 ProMax

I have a 96 20XD with a 98 225 ProMax. It has been sitting garaged for a while, a few years, due to shoulder surgeries, and career changes. I'm getting ready to start getting the engine squared away from sitting, and thought that the boat/hull is now as dry as it has ever been since it left the factory. May be the best time ever to remove the jack plate and reseal.
    My question is: It came with a 9-1/2" Rapid Jack. I've had no problems with it, but if I'm going to pull it off, it would be the perfect time to go to a 12" or a 14" Rapid Jack. Probably better too if power poles are ever installed later.
    Has anyone gone 12 or 14 and noticed enough performance increase to make it worthwhile?
    Thanks.

15"

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Sporty on the promax?

4. Member
    Sportmaster. Right now about 3/4" above the pad. I should have mentioned the lower unit.

5. Member
    I got a 14 RJ on mine. 1.5 above, you will notice the difference.

Steven Eversole, KY
    BLAZER 202 PRO V / MARINER 225 SUPER MAG

I would think a 14" with a 225pm with a sporty on a 20'er. Not sure you would see any performance gains on the top that would warrant the loss in holeshot with a 15" plate. Hanging a 300 is a different animal and the 15" is probably more fitting but have also heard no increase and actual negative results with a few guys when they went 15". I say a 14" and depending on the load 1.5 above pad.

In general I like a 14" on a 20'er at 1.25-1.50"s above for fishin....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    If you are gonna put power poles on get a 14" RJ, the PP bracket that fits is about 3/4" think so you'll have effectively 14 3/4" set back.

Thats where mine is and drives and runs perfect.

9. Member
    Just got done talking with the guy I got my boat from. New boat at the time (2013) and was talking about getting a/the
    build sheet that Bullet used to make my boat. He stated if I ordered a 15" jack I would get a 14" and if I had ordered a 14"
    jack plate I would have gotten a 12 3/4" jack plate. Ordered 2 transducers to be put in the boat at time of building it, got
    one. Ordered it 100 lbs light, will find out tomorrow, I'm weighting it. Call Bullet and told them I wanted the build sheet, no
    response as of this time.

I like a 14 with a 3.0 and a 15" with a 2.5 just as 90 5.0 likes his. Ive been from 12 to 15 with a 2.5 and the farther back the better it gets. It gets you a bit more lift with the lighter weight motor and frees it up a bit. 14 not much different

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    I hated the PowerPole brackets that sandwich between the motor and jackplate!
    Not to mention they were pretty flimsy but with those poles a mile high an 8 footer wouldn't hit bottom at 7 foot.
    Bought the brackets which bolt to the bottom side of the jackplate.....they tucked the poles in very nice and not only cleaned up the looks but are really a solid mount and now I can plant the poles at 8.5 feet!
    A lesser trade off is.....Since I lowered'em I haven't swatted any more MudDucks!!!
    BTW, I run a 14" JP.

Attached Images Attached Images
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

12. Member
    Thank you all for the replies! I really like the set up you have there QuickBullet. I also have thought Mercury and Mariner engines of that year range were hands down the best looking engines! I like the alien cowl style of mine pretty well, but I've always like your style cowl and mid section look the best, without doubt!