SiriusXM on the boat

Is anybody running a radio with siriusxm on their boat? I've got a trial subscription in my new truck and am loving it. I'm liking the idea of being able to listen to baseball while I fish. I've looked online, and I'm not sure anyone is making a marine safe radio.

thanks
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

Quote Originally Posted by bdubz0r View Post
    Is anybody running a radio with siriusxm on their boat? I've got a trial subscription in my new truck and am loving it. I'm liking the idea of being able to listen to baseball while I fish. I've looked online, and I'm not sure anyone is making a marine safe radio.

thanks
    Download the SiriusXm app on your phone and stream it that way. If you have a current radio on your boat use bluetooth or a aux cord to hear it from speakers.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

3. Member
    I don't have the subscription, but pretty sure my Lowrance units are Sirius ready. Add the antenna and you're all set.

4. Member
    I had thought about that but was concerned with data overages. Has that ever been an issue for you? My wife, daughter and myself share 6 gigs a month, and we're pretty good about not going over now.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

I had thought about that but was concerned with data overages. Has that ever been an issue for you? My wife, daughter and myself share 6 gigs a month, and we're pretty good about not going over now.
    I can't speak as to the amount of data it will use.... My wife uses the app all the time at work, but she is on Wifi. I only listen to in my truck. She has it in her car as well. Might be better to get a dedicated radio for it. This is just an easy option.

I will say I've streamed pandora before and not had an issue with it using much data. Streaming video is what will push you into a data overage!!!

2019 Triton 189 TRX

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The easy and cheapest way would be via streaming it from your phone to a BT speaker or a radio in your boat that has BT. If you go thru your lowrance units you will need the sonic hub plus the antenna ($700). Keep in mind if you get an additional Sirius unit outside of your vehicle, that will be subscription payment....in other words you have one account but you must pay for each individual source. In the past i had a docking kit in my truck with the removable head unit, i purchased another docking kit and kept that in the boat, installed antenna and connect it to the radio with a aux cable. Worked great and no issues and didnt have to have pay for another head unit subscription.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    I also have 3 docking units... Personal truck, work truck (average about a 1000 miles a week) and boat. Only 1 subscription needed that way. Have had XM for close to 15 years now.

If you use the apps I believe it charges a fee of like 3 bucks a month or so. I agree on being on the road a lot, it definitely comes in handy.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

My phone app only adds $1/mo

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    ^^^^ Dang that's cheap.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

App limits you to phone coverage...... Many of the areas we fish have little or no phone coverage (data thatis) with the head unit you dont have cell coverage issues.
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

12. Member
    I'd imagine you would use a ton of data. When I stream pandora or Spotify it eats my data like no other

A good rule of thumb is 1 gig of data for every 8 hours of music streaming - yes, it will eat it up quick.

Assuming you don't already have a radio/head unit, if you've got an old speedometer or other gauge in your boat's dash that's not in use or no longer necessary, many companies make receivers that will fit into that hole that are "SiriusXM ready." From there it's just a matter of picking up the antenna, speakers, and required connections. Crutchfield is a great place to check out - I'm pretty guilty of using them to find what I need then ordering cheaper elsewhere, but their prices are reasonable too. In fact, my best advice might be to call them up and tell them what you want to do. The level of expertise their reps have on this type of stuff is incredible.

Sort of off topic, but relevant I would think: when your trial is up, call SiriusXM up and tell them you want to cancel. When they ask you why (and they will - it's the classic telemarketer "3-rebuttal" method), tell them it's too expensive. Then mention that one of your buddies got 6 months for $25 and that you'd be willing to do it for that. They'll "check with their manager" then grant you a "one-time exception." I've been doing this for at least 5 years, and I'm sure you'd have no problem doing it for two accounts (one for the truck and one for the boat). I know that the company is onto my scheme, I just think they don't really care. From their perspective, a ton of their costs are fixed (i.e. the cost of launching and maintaining the satellites). Each additional subscriber is (basically) 100% straight to their bottom line. In fact, I'd almost bet they operate like magazines where the company is better off almost giving you the subscription so they can charge advertisers more due to reaching a larger audience. If nothing else, additional ad revenue would offset any additional costs the company would incur for content. Either way, I've not ever had an issue getting the deal.

The only thing to watch is that it will auto-renew after the 6 months is up. I set myself a reminder on my phone for 170 days from the date I call to get the deal done. This ensures I don't end up getting auto-renewed and lets me keep the massive savings. The downside is this doesn't allow you to use the phone app, at least last time I checked. Even at that, this is like $4.xx a month compared to what, $15 a month at the normal price? You could pay for 3 radios with that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    I have a separate Sirius radio unit in my boat, tied into the speakers.........I USED to use that and would get a 6 month subscription for like $25 for 6 mos. Then I got the app on my phone and use an aux jack from the headphone into the radio on my boat - and now listen to it that way.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I have, and I love it!!!! I have had it in my two previous boats as well.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....173&highlight=
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

16. Member
    Here's what I did. I went to best buy and got this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/siriusxm...?skuId=1489779

mounted the unit to a ram mount, and used velcro tape to mount the antenna. I then got a USB powered radio and run it over it with the FM modulator. No cords, good sound.

https://craigelectronics.net/product/cr4189bt/
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Can't you use Iheart or Pandora and run it thru for free.
    I had Sirius on two new cars and never found it to be useful for my listening pleasure.

18. Member

19. Member
    You can find old Roady XT Delphi SA10177 Reciever and the correct XM radio for it on EBay for 69.00.

XM/Sirrius gets you one way or another. You pay for the app and data or you pay for the second reciever. Way back in 2004, maybe 05 I had a dock put in my wife's 4-Runner and bought one of those portable weather resistant docks for the boat. That way you only had one bill. These days there isn't hardly a new vehicle that doesn't come with some sort of data eater or XM.

FWIW In my current boat I stream or play from my playlist through a small Bluetooth Bose speaker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2525042...&ul_noapp=true
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 03-25-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: add link