Talon alarm wire

I am wiring the alarm wire to the purple wire on the volt meter. With the Talon deployed in the garage and the key on, I do not get an alarm. Does the engine have to be running for the alarm to go off or am I missing something simple.

Thanks ,Rick

No the engine does not have to be running...use your voltmeter to find a wire that is hot with the key turned to the on position...the motor does not have to be running.

Typically the purple wire is hot with the key on so I don't know what up in your situation. To verify that the alarm actually works touch it to the hot post on the battery to verify the Talon alarm actually works. If it does work all you have to do is find a wire that is hot when the key is on. The key does not have to be in the start/run position it just needs to be in the accessory on position...a volt meter would be a big help finding what you need.
    Last edited by JR19; 02-21-2017 at 01:14 PM.

3. Member
    Thank you, that is what I figured. There is power to the voltmeter when the key is on but no alarm hen connected and Talon down. I will get in touch with Minn Kota.

4. Member
    I talked with Minn Kota and verified that the alarm itself is working. I have a purple wire running to the voltage meter on the dash. There is no power to the meter until I turn the key on. I verified this with a volt meter. I hooked the green wire up to that purple wire and still no alarm so I am missing something. I did test it with the Talon in the down position. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

5. Member
    What motor do you have? If it is a pro XS, there is an unused purple wire under the cowling that you can use. That is what I did and it works fine.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

6. Member
    This is an older Mercury jet drive but I will have a look and see if there is an unused purple wire under the cowling.
    Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Greene View Post
    I talked with Minn Kota and verified that the alarm itself is working. I have a purple wire running to the voltage meter on the dash. There is no power to the meter until I turn the key on. I verified this with a volt meter. I hooked the green wire up to that purple wire and still no alarm so I am missing something. I did test it with the Talon in the down position. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
    Wiring the Talon...
    Talon white wire going to + on battery. It's best to run the white wire through a disconnect. The fuse should be located close to the battery but most importantly in between the battery and disconnect. Black wire going straight to - on battery.

Testing the Talon alarm...
    With Talon retracted touch the green wire to + on the battery. Push the deploy button and the alarm should sound. This will simulate trying to deploy the talon with the motor running. Remove the green wire from the + on battery. Retract the Talon and then extend it back out. The reason I say this is because the alarm only sounds for a few seconds and then its done. Retracting and extending the Talon will reset the circuit. With the Talon deployed touch the green wire to the + on the battery. This will simulate trying to deploy the Talon with the motor running. If the alarm on the talon works you are ready to install the alarm wire.

Finding power for the alarm...
    The green alarm wire from the harness is kind of short so it will not reach the dash. Use the same size AWG wire to extend the green wire. You're looking for a wire that will have 12 V present only when the key is in the on position. The key does not have to be turned all the way over like your starting the motor all it needs to be is in the accessory on position. Typically on Johnson/Evinrude and Mercury its a purple wire or a wire with a purple stripe. If my memory is correct it seems like I remember Yamaha being yellow. I am not really for sure though on Yamaha. I do know that in reality color does not matter. If you know how to use your voltmeter for troubleshooting then all you need to look for is a wire that has 12 V when the key is in the on position. Once you found that wire tap into it. If possible I prefer to attach the wire via a wire terminal. I am not a fan of splicing but it does work. Whenever your hooking up the alarm wire unhook EVERYTHING that is on the + side of the battery. Its best not to be working on hot wires in tight spaces. I know its only 12 V but if you touch the wrong thing you can cause damage to the equipment. Probably not going to hurt you but you can cause some damage to equipment if a fuse or breaker does not do its job so anything electric is safety first.

If you have any questions you can always call me. I will send you my number in a PM if needed.

8. Member
    Thanks, I will have another go at it tomorrow.

Rick

9. Member
    I tapped into the hot wire that goes to my Yamaha fuel gauge....it is energized when the key is turned on. The hard part was running the wire.

10. Member
    Problem solved. I realized this morning that I had the Talon powered from the trolling motor battery and when I attached the wire to the volt meter hot wire there was no common ground. Switched it over the to cranking battery and problem solved. Can't believe I didn't catch this first time around.

11. Member
    Good deal!
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS