Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There is always sacrifices, especially for toys. Boats and accessories cost a fortune nowadays. You just have to see what you can budget and find a boat in good shape and go from there. You don't have to have an 70-80k rig to have fun. I fished from a tin for years and done great. Graduated to a used glass for several years, then to my Bullet. Heck, I don't like today's cost, but I also don't go overboard. I know what I can afford and if I can't, then I can't. I do with what I got til I can. But, like these others guys said, you make it what you want to and spend what you can.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

All a matter of prospective

Can catch bass from the banks of ponds and rivers with a cane pole too.

4. Member
    I fished many years out of a 14' john boat with a small outboard, currently in a 30 year old tracker and still having fun.

For those with the high dollar go fast boats? More power to 'em. If they can afford it they should have it and enjoy them.

That's why I fish from a kayak

6. Member
    If you think bass fishing is a rich man's sport then you haven't seen my wife's shoe closet.

7. Member
    I'll never be rich because of bass fishing...and duck hunting.

Keeps a brother in the poorhouse!

8. Member
    My plan was to buy a lower cost aluminum hull boat, and then add high end electronics and a good trolling motor to it. I put an HB 1198 at the console and a 998 at the bow, then put a 24v Minn Kota Terrova iPilot on the front. I have a great set up and I'm into it for under $20k total. I don't fish tournaments, and the Suzuki DF90 will push it to a 40 MPH top speed, which is enough for anything I want to do.
    My blog. If you like reading about fishing and hunting, there's something here for you:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon5 View Post
    I'm75 years OLD and feel it. My 15' boat is 30 years old with an InLine 115 that's a year older than the boat. Runs good, rides good, (for me) and does what I need. 14 YO 70lb Motor Guide that does well, a 12 YO GrayScale graph up front and a 5"Lowrance HDS at the console. Catch all the fish I want and the whole thing has been paid for for 20 years. Yeah, the old motors burn some gas but not too bad especially compared to what my cousin-in-law builds.

Anyone hear of Rybovich? Well, the latest member of the family is Michael Rybovich & Sons. Mike's my C-I-L. And they're building hand built, cold molded mahogany, luxury sport fishing yachts. Their smallest so far is a 62 footer. Top speed of 42 Knots. I don't want to know what those boats cost and I don't want to know what the fuel bill is. But it's more per hour than I'll use in years
    I have and they are drop dead gourgeous boats

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Can catch bass from the banks of ponds and rivers with a cane pole too.

Same here. Great fish can be had just wandering the rip rap of a river. A few of these caught from the bank will give you the bug for a boat, at least it did me.

[IM

G][/IMG]

11. Banned
    I justbought a new Ranger 90k.....got a 100 year mortgage and am paying cash....sort of

Im living the life in my under 20k boat
    - - - - -
    I
    I
    I
    \/
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Quote Originally Posted by Hookerz Tackle View Post
    Its my $$ I can spend it how I choose.. Speaking of which my new 2017 Ranger 621 just got unloaded from semi few hours ago.. lol
    I can't tow that with 72 Datsun
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Im living the life in my under 20k boat
    - - - - -
    I
    I
    I
    \/
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Not even Chuck can stand up to that...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    That's why I fish from a kayak
    I have a 19ft Skeeter not too old runs and looks good, but I find if going by myself it's cheaper, easier and sometimes more fun to fish out of my kayak. You can get an 'OK' fishing Kayak for under a grand plus your tackle, not too bad for a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    If you installed a set of PP, one or several of the $1.5K to $4K electronic units, fancy new Ultrex, Lithium batteries, you spent enough to buy a very decent used boat. Add all that to a $60K new boat, way outta my league.
    I will agree 100% if you are going to compete and be consistent in the big leagues. Not all those guys get free stuff either so a lot are on their dime. There is no way I could purchase a boat with what they cost must less add all the bells and whistles. I would have more in a boat than what each of my last two houses cost plus my vehicles. Now if you want to fun fish with maybe an occasional tournament then you can fish a lot cheaper than that. I look for the technology price gap to get farther away as well as seeing what's below in the future. I personally hope it never gets to the point where technology gets so accurate that it could hurt fish population.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    Same here. Great fish can be had just wandering the rip rap of a river. A few of these caught from the bank will give you the bug for a boat, at least it did me.

[IM

G][/IMG]
    Dang good bass!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    A lot of it is marketing and we as fisherman fall for it. If you have the money spend it, if you dont buy what you can and go have fun. Anothet option is buy a newer rig with some damage and fix it. Fiberglass work is fairly easy to do if you have some willingness to learn.

My rather humble rig (in sig ) has been perfect for me. Bought it for well under $10k. Very adequate graphs, awesome spot lock trolling motor, low hours (>100) on the 4 stroke, crazy economical on fuel, easy to tow, and fishes great. I am not a big tourney guy, and this exceeds all my needs.
    13 year old Tracker

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast