Do I have a motor problem

I have a 2008 150VMAX with a 23P tempest prop. I can only turn prop about 5200 RPM's at full trim for about 52 MPH. Ive tried everything to get more RPM's and speed and I just cant do it. Im starting to wonder if my motor is down a cylinder. The problem is this is the most RPM's I have been able to get since I bought it from the dealer a few years ago. Compression and plugs are good. Im going to change my water separating filter and see if that helps anything. I see other 150 motors turning 5600-5800 RPM's and Im not sure why I cant.

2. Member
    Have you tried a smaller pitch prop?

3. Member
    No, Im sure the smaller pitch would increase my RPMs but it wouldnt do much for speed would it? I see the same motor turning the same size prop 5800 RPMs.

4. Member
    If compression and plugs are good, that would likely mean you are not down a cylinder. What hull and what is your prop to pad? There are many, many factors outside of the motor itself that could impact performance. While it could be motor related, it sounds like it could be somewhat from set-up.

5. Member
    Do you have a hotfoot? Are you positive you are getting full throttle? Check the backing screw where the foot pedal hits

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    How big of a prop you can turn depends on both the engine and the hull. What boat is this on?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    2008 Stratos 285xl

I have not checked the full throttle. Is it possible to adjust the screw behind the hot foot to far?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by finsh'n'freak View Post
    2008 Stratos 285xl

I have not checked the full throttle. Is it possible to adjust the screw behind the hot foot to far?
    Just recently, I found 500 rpm's on mine. Between a missing screw on the throttle linkage and a mis adjusted throttle cam and hot foot, it made an incredible difference.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by finsh'n'freak View Post
    No, Im sure the smaller pitch would increase my RPMs but it wouldnt do much for speed would it? I see the same motor turning the same size prop 5800 RPMs.
    . Are you comparing the same boat and motor set up? If not more rpms should get you more into the power band with more speed. You may want to talk to one of the prop guru's like mark croxton from marks props or Todd at hydromotive. They deal with these problems all the time and may give you advice on how to tweak your prop or suggestions on something different. If you don't find anything mechanically wrong with your set up.
    Last edited by BASS BUM; 02-21-2017 at 06:27 PM.

10. Member
    Keep looking at the basic items like mentioned above.

Have you checked fuel pumps to make sure they are not leaking?

11. Member
    Take it over to Malones Marine. Talk to Jeff. He is prob one of the best Yamaha techs I our area

12. Member
    If I cant figure it out that will be my plan. Ill have to wait until summer when I have a few extra $$$.