automotive clear coat?

Will automotive clear coat work on my metal flake boat? I dont care if it lasts only 3 years but the boat isnt worth a new gel coat. If someone has used this let me know what your results were thanks guys!

2. Member
    I did a boat like this and it last years till I got rid of it. Always garage kept.

3. Member
    Yes it will work, you'll need to wet sand it first with at least 1000 grit paper to prepare the surface. Do not sand down into the metal flake or you will lose the color. If you are just doing the top cap I recommend removing the carpet back away from the sides so you don't have a edge from masking tape. Remove all hardware and you will find that you will have a boat that the finish that will look new or next to it..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

4. Member
    yes , be sure to buy the right clear and catalyst for the job depending on the weather and if you want to wet sand it after your done, oreillys make a nice clear for a 60 a gallon but you have spray it fast so it doesnt run and it does not any UV protection, but will last for several years.

5. Member
    Fabtastic thata all i needed to hear lol. You guys are awesome thanks for the help

6. Member
    I'm not too sure 1000 grit is enough to allow good adherence for clear straight over gel coat. That usually isn't recommend. If you were to prime the gel coat and then start painting with auto products it will hold up better over time. Just wetsanding with 1000 grit I bet it won't last 2 seasons before flaking off.

7. Member
    if the flake is not sanding off , you really need a wet 400 grit scratch at least, if you can do a wet 320 it is better. if you can wet it after sanding with 400,320 or 280 and the finish is what you want , the clear will hide the scratches , a low solids clear not made for buffing will need 3 coats without runs

8. Member
    nothing finer than 400, no wax and grease remover, no tack rags. Use acetone for wipedown and white paper towels.

9. Banned
    I used Imron on an old astroglass... WOW... shiny, SLICK, and beautiful.... I know this is old school.. and maybe hard to spray..

I, also, need to know whats better than Imron.. I just need my top cap sprayed.....and be shiny slick again.. :)