Anybody have a couple of steering cables from a P2 lying around?

Need a couple steering cables for a P2. Tight/stiff cables are what I'm looking for. I can bring them back to life as long as the casing isn't split. My cables are marked 150 inches, so either 12.5 or 13 footers should work.

Than

We have to say we object to this post as used steering cables are not a secure idea. They probably already have issues and you can't fix the spiral wound jacket on the cables. We strongly suggest a new set of cables.

BCB feels so strongly about this that they only sell the complete steering assembly. Used steerings are not a good idea in the helm because the steering helm is fatigued by excessive pressure. We recall a wildlife officer replacing cables once in a government boat and he lost steering under a high performance situation when the helm assembly was fatigued and failed. He then understood why BCB does not compromise here.

3. Member
    Thanks for your advice. If you don't like the post, have a mod delete it. No biggie to me.

We all learn through others.

Dude - give BCB a yell and just get the new cables/helm setup. They will take care of you. Just put it in my 96P2. Not that bad of a job, and steering is much nicer with way less feedback than the original stuff.

My old cables were nice and free (I already pitched them) as I had done the pressurized trans fluid deal a few years back, which worked good. Finally came to terms that I'm pretty sure I'm hanging on to this boat, and even though the steering was nice and free as compared to when I got the boat, they were still 20 year old cables. Didn't want to take a chance. Thought about what would happen if something broke at any kind of speed - don't want to go there.

6. Member
    Thanks, but ill stick w my original plan.

I have enough $$ to spend on this dude to get it sea worthy. Floor repair, seat bottoms, carpet, pumps, dash, batteries, etc.

Not concerned a cable breaking nor an issue w the helm. If its ur time to go....its ur time...i mean no disrespect to bcb or anybody else.
    Last edited by FastBird; 02-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.

7. Member
    Still looking for a couple cables.

Thanks

8. Member
    Welcome to the BCB Family. Good luck with your project and I understand your position when it comes to trying to get the best you can for the $. But I would ditch the the carpet or some other cosmetic work you may have planned for a new steering or maybe even phase your project out until it is truly ready for the water. Not to insult your intelligence by any means and not sure how new you are to boating or bass boats in general, but as previously stated by other members and BCB, the steering system is a very important item and allot of times after they are taken out of another boat and re-installed damage and unforeseen issues can arise under the sheathing you will never know about until if fails. Some things on a boat you just don't skimp on and especially one of this type that can run at higher speeds. Not to say that someone wouldn't sell you some, but I don't think you will be successful in finding someone on this board that would engage with that. Too much liability and uncertainty. Every cable steer bass boat I have ever owned I have either bought cables or just retrofitted to hydraulic. Hyd. for a higher one time cost is the way to go on a bass rig and you I am confident you would love the performance. Just my $.20

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    Thanks for your advice. If you don't like the post, have a mod delete it. No biggie to me.
    You do realize that BCB is trying to maybe keep you from getting killed. They most likely objected not because you are trying to save money but that people will see this and may try it to. This could get someone killed do to steering failure at high speed. They were not attacking you personally.

10. Member
    Still looking for 2 cables....

A little background...im not new to the family. Ive owned the boat since. I know the full history of the boat. I have zero reasons to think the helm will fail. The helm was never subjected to still cables. The boat has sat since 2010. The likelihood of a helm/cable failure is no more likely to happen than a 20 something year old transom failing. The boat coming apart from the rotten floor...(not going into detail on that one), etc. etc. You can go on and on about potential failures, issues, etc. Might as well stay at home in a bubble.

No I didnt think BCB was bashing me. Jeez guys, give it a break. I read your advice, but Im not heeding it. No biggie whatsover.................

Ill take my chances and let the cards fall where they may...

So if anybody has 2 cables, send me a PM and keep out of this mess.
    Last edited by FastBird; 03-10-2017 at 01:14 PM.