Full handle vs. split grip

Are there certian applications that you would prefer a split grip rod handle over a full grip or vice-versa? I think I like a full grip for casting and retrieving moving baits as opposed to a split grip which I think I prefer over a full grip for bottom contact. Some say a full grip rod may balance better.I'm giving the Dobyn's Extreme HP's (available both ways)a look right now.

I prefer all my rods to be full grips - much more comfortable and controllable for two-handed casting, better balance (for me) and less prone to snagging on my shirt buttons(!).

3. Member
    I like the full cork. Its more comfortable to me. The cork does add some slight weight which would make any rod balance better but not sure its noticeable.

Pick whatevers more comfortable!

4. Member
    The only things I prefer a full grip for are deep cranking, 6"+ swimbaits, umbrella rigs, and flipping/pitching. You need leverage for long casts with those techniques.

5. Member
    I really have no preference --like either, the only issue is sometimes a split grip rod will be tip heavy because of the weight reduction in the split grip

6. Member
    Split grip usually translates to marginally lighter weight. Most of my rods are St. Croix and the lower grip is tapered on nearly every model. I feel that taper provides a bit more leverage and comfort for extra-long casts over a full grip, but I imagine it’s personal preference.

7. Member
    I like split grips fine for flippin and pitching, or something I might roll cast one handed. Anything I cast with both hands like C-rig, bigger cranks, lipless, etc., then that little butt knob annoys me and I prefer full cork grip.

8. Banned
    Did the split grip thing for a number of years only to realize I like a full grip better. Also works better in the rod organizer I have in my boat.

9. Banned
    Dont really care..... And when it comes to " balance"... I use butt balancers ( lowes, table leg caps, with quarters put in them!) to balance my rods.

I had a couple split grips that I wanted to be full, so I wrapped the bare part in some thin cork gasket material from Napa then wrapped over that with the Winn Grip Wraps. Came out great, figured Id pass along the idea

2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    I had a couple split grips that I wanted to be full, so I wrapped the bare part in some thin cork gasket material from Napa then wrapped over that with the Winn Grip Wraps. Came out great, figured Id pass along the idea

Nice job.Good looking modification you did and thanks for the great idea.

Split grips for everything but crankbaits.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Banned
    I have both and I like a full grip when possible but if the rod has a split and balances good its not a deal breaker.

14. Member
    I avoid rods with full grips unless big swimbaits and thats probably because most manufacturers dont make em split grip. I personally perfer eva over cork as well...personal preference thing for sure...no real science behind it all.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

15. Member
    I have several of the new GLX split grips but I still find myself picking up the older BCR GLX full grips most of the time. For some reason the full grips just feel better when throwing heavy jigs, big worms t-rig and a car-rig. Finesse jigs and light wt. t-rigs I will use the split grip more often than not.

16. Member
    Don't really care much, I'd say I slightly prefer full grips. I like the look and feel of a full handle. I have both in my arsenal.

17. Member
    This is an interesting topic, seems I'm like a lot of others. I went through the spilt grip phase, now I'm leaning more to Full grips, what I've determined for me is with a full grip I feel I have more control & leverage. So spinning rods, & finesse rods I like spilt grips, but moving baits and any technique where I use heavier line than 12lbs I'm leaning toward full grips. So for me short rods 6'10" & less with light line 6-10lbs= split grips, 7' & up, 12lb line & up= Full Grips

I tried the split grip but I'll stick with the full cork.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Split grips for everything but crankbaits.
    ^^^^This. Same as me. I think it's all a matter of preference. I like the split grips for pitching and short/regular casts with one hand. The split grip annoys me when trying to wing a bait because my bottom hand is on half cork and half blank. It just doesn't feel right.

20. Member
    I set the hook better with a full grip in cold weather, like them both though.