Thread: New V20

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Speaking of carpet...My carpet came unglued on my 15 model V20 around the foot pedal.

2. Member
    Jeff... did the Stratos you had for a year not hold up?... I see you switched to Ranger.

Stratos was fine for a year...Great ride and fast...Too small and cheaply built though....Not something I would want to own/fish from for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    I believe they have fixed the issues with the V-20. I was just at the factory a couple weeks ago and saw the entire process of how the 2015 V-20's differ from the 2017 models. I will be able to tell you for sure about the differences in performance in a few weeks when I get my 2015 boat back.

I was one of the people whose boat got stress cracks in the corners by the front and middle step. Legend went above and beyond to take care of me through the process as well as the boys at SMI Marine. I was given a loaner boat so I didn't miss my season, free stays at Gaston's resort, discounted merchandise, ect. It probably didn't hurt that I didn't freak out and act like a belligerent A-hole. I tend to side more on being cool, calm, and collective with an understanding that it's not a perfect world. The mere fact that I even have the capacity, and the means to own a bass boat is a gift from God.

During my tour they showed me the whole process regarding the changes they've made to the hull of the 2017 models. As well as, the process involved in fixing my 2015 model. The biggest change was with the stringers and the risers, they are now triple the strength and size of the previous ones which has taken the majority of the flex out of the hull. This added some weight to the front and of the boat which should also help with the hole shot and top end speed. They also changed some things with the back end of the hull on the 2017 models regarding the cone angle, weight reduction, and some other things I honestly can't remember.

All in all, I have been very happy with all three of the Legend boats I've had. I certainly understand it's unfortunate that the boat got stress cracks as they should not occur and such a costly object. However, I've seen them and other brands boats too. I was co-anglering the FLW and was in a 2015 ranger 521c that had stress cracks and two different places as well. And as we all know Rangers are as well built and durable of a boat as they come, and have stood the test of time. Sometimes things just happen.

Buy the boat that fits you, and your, wants and needs the best. There is no wrong choice. There are too many morons out there with that bumper sticker of that little kid pissing on stuff! And always keep in mind the majority of people that get on the forum to give a review are here to piss and moan. There's always far more motivation behind negative feedback than positive. If everything's perfect most people don't say anything.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to hit me up anytime.
    So did they only fix the 2017 models or are the 2016 models good to go as well?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    So did they only fix the 2017 models or are the 2016 models good to go as well?
    The 2016 & 2017 models have been great.

I don't doubt that...Good to hear because the V20 was my favorite boat...I'm just curious if anyone knows the date in which they finalized all the changes or are they currently still modifying the boat?

7. Member
    I don't doubt that...Good to hear because the V20 was my favorite boat...I'm just curious if anyone knows the date in which they finalized all the changes or are they currently still modifying the boat?

Let me check my log book. I have it recorded to the day, hour, minute and second to be as accurate as humanly possible. As far as Legend still modifying their boats, yes they do. They are no different than all the bass boat manufactures. They all continuously, year after year, modify their boats in some fashion.
    Last edited by SMChamp; 03-15-2017 at 10:51 AM.

There is a heck of a deal on a 2016 Legend V20 at Grammer Marine....Pretty well loaded out at 58k if anyone is interested.

9. Member
    Jeff likes to stir the pot. Guy buys a V20 instead of a Ranger, and he has to let the guy know the ranger is better with the trolling motor down, instead of just saying congrats! Guy asks a question about buying a V20, and he has to chime in with how Legend never publicly admitted to having issues with early V20's. Which, by the way, I am told have been individually rectified, including Jeff's boat. All the while any one can call them, speak directly to them, they will describe what changes were made, and how they are laying the V20 up a bit different now, then early 2015. Basically any post on the Legend board that has something positive to say, he seems to find a way to turn it around..It's too bad.

As for changes and tweaks.. They are all making changes all the time. Cosmetic, structural, trim levels, latches, valves etc.

The guy who bought the Legend said he went from Ranger to Legend...That's what makes my comment relevant. Also, you conveniently left out the part where I said the V20 rides much better than my 520c. The 15 models did appear to have issues just like my boat. I don't really want to get into my boat and the hull problems that I had but I will say this...Legend paid to have the cracks repaired but someone out there still has it and the underlying problem wasn't "rectified" to the best of my knowledge. It's in the past...I'm over it. However, I don't see the issue with questioning what changes were made and when they were implemented? Honestly, I liked my V20 so much I was just here recently looking to buy another one. I'd much rather have a problem free V20 than my 520c.
    Last edited by bassmasterffej; 03-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.

11. Member
    You're right, I did leave that out.. You did say they ride better. He wasn't asking for a comparison.. He was posting a picture and proud of his decision.

The thread was labeled "Ranger to Legend" and I told him "You will really like the ride but the Ranger fishes better with the trolling motor down. I don't enjoy taking my Ranger in 3 footers but my V20 used to eat it up."

13. Banned
    There is a heck of a deal on a 2016 Legend V20 at Grammer Marine....Pretty well loaded out at 58k if anyone is interested.
    Weren't they closing this past January?

Edit: 10-22 (cancel) "Yes" they are closing and here is a link to Your above post re: V20 at $59k

http://grammermarine.net/new/Legend/
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 03-20-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added verification/link

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Weren't they closing this past January?

Edit: 10-22 (cancel) "Yes" they are closing and here is a link to Your above post re: V20 at $59k

http://grammermarine.net/new/Legend/

That's a shame. It seemed as though they sold a lot of Legends.

15. Member
    I sent you a PM regarding your issues.

16. Member
    PM is for Craigjc00

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    Get down in the compartments and look inside the hull/topcap, you will notice a big difference on how a phoenix is finished out compared to a legend, places that you can't readily see or they think you can see, out of sight out of mind.
    I've always said that Legend has a fit and finish that is second to none but I draw the line at needing aesthetics over performance. I already knew about the battery compartments and the fiberglass being finished, my question is: is that worth the extra money that a new Legend, optioned out, costs more than a Phoenix? I've rode in two V-20's co-angling the Opens and the ride left something to be desired and it was slow, if I was going to go the Legend route I would definitely go with an Alpha 211R. One of the best rides that I've been in co-angling (out of Rangers, other Legends, Skeeters, and BassCats). But saying the "build quality is deficient" and then talking about fiberglass areas that are finished out is misleading. I could talk about the 2015 V-20's that actually HAD "build deficiencies", but I try to find something I appreciate about every boat brand and not run down people down on their purchases. We all are obviously blessed to be able to afford boats whether it's a Legend, Phoenix, Ranger, Skeeter, Nitro, etc, and it's not about what is best for everyone, it's what is best for you. As someone who did a TON of research and rode and fished out of multiple brands when I decided to buy a new boat, I truly feel like Phoenix is the most performance, fishability, and great customer service that you can get for your money. There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a brand, but that doesn't suddenly make me want to bash other brands.

18. Member
    My V20 will hit 75mph.... how fast are the Phoenix's running? I think that is far from slow. The 920 Phoenix also seems small to me compared to the V20. I feel like the Phoenix boats have large back decks and small front decks. I guess everyone has their personal opinions and preferences.

19. Member
    I have a friend who runs a 919, it will do an honest 76 mph with full fuel, tackle, and two guys (350-400lbs) with a 24V troller, two 8' Blades, and a stock 25 Fury. I have the exact same setup in a 721 except I'm running a 36V Fortrexx with group 31 AGM's and with two guys, full fuel, ~30 rod/reel combos, two 8' Blades will do 74-74.5 with two guys with a stock 25 Fury and another 1mph on top of that with a 26 in cooler weather. The 920's are even faster than the 721. The 921 is a 73mph loaded boat with the loads mentioned above. I rode in a V-20 on Pickwick and top speed with a full load was about 70-71 mph, then rode in one on the Arkansas River last year that could not touch 70. My 721 will also hit 80 or more if I take everything out of it and run with 1/4 tank of fuel but that is far from tournament conditions, which is why I don't claim that my boat runs 80. It's funny how many 77-78mph boats I pass up doing 74
    Also, there are always exceptions to the rule. Ask any of the guys that fish professionally and they will tell you about a year they got a "hot" motor than ran 2-3mph more with their normal load. But generally, the three 20-21' Phoenix range from 72-77 mph with two guys, power poles, and a full load of tackle, with the 919-920 seeing the best numbers typically. I have a good buddy that runs an Alpha 211 with a 250 ProXS that couldn't touch 70 until he got a new prop and got it worked and gained 3mph, and he and his partner are BIG guys. So maybe a lot of guys don't play with setup enough. I came out of a Bullet and switched to Phoenix so obviously speed isn't of the essence to me because I went from passing everyone to passing about 85-90% of other boats, but it is still nice to have the capability of speed. It was the combination of ride quality, speed, and fishability that made me choose a 721. It's all personal preference for sure, the V-20 is a great fishing boat and beautiful, but it would have to be an exceptional one that is running 75 with the loads I mentioned above (unless there is some current present)

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    My V20 will hit 75mph.... how fast are the Phoenix's running? I think that is far from slow. The 920 Phoenix also seems small to me compared to the V20. I feel like the Phoenix boats have large back decks and small front decks. I guess everyone has their personal opinions and preferences.
    Couldn't agree more. The back deck is way too big and casting deck way too small and narrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast