Thread: New V20

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    My bad, I see in the fine print below the map that this is a map of the 5 closest dealers near me.
    Pool 10

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    It's kind of ambiguous though because no one from Legend has ever publicly stated that they had any hull issues with the V20...I think most everyone on BBC can conclude that there was something going on with the early model V20s but without knowing for sure what was wrong with them and how Legend remediated the problem it kind of leaves you in the dark on whether or not they have truly have corrected any issues they may have had with the hull.

I believe they have fixed the issues with the V-20. I was just at the factory a couple weeks ago and saw the entire process of how the 2015 V-20's differ from the 2017 models. I will be able to tell you for sure about the differences in performance in a few weeks when I get my 2015 boat back.

I was one of the people whose boat got stress cracks in the corners by the front and middle step. Legend went above and beyond to take care of me through the process as well as the boys at SMI Marine. I was given a loaner boat so I didn't miss my season, free stays at Gaston's resort, discounted merchandise, ect. It probably didn't hurt that I didn't freak out and act like a belligerent A-hole. I tend to side more on being cool, calm, and collective with an understanding that it's not a perfect world. The mere fact that I even have the capacity, and the means to own a bass boat is a gift from God.

During my tour they showed me the whole process regarding the changes they've made to the hull of the 2017 models. As well as, the process involved in fixing my 2015 model. The biggest change was with the stringers and the risers, they are now triple the strength and size of the previous ones which has taken the majority of the flex out of the hull. This added some weight to the front and of the boat which should also help with the hole shot and top end speed. They also changed some things with the back end of the hull on the 2017 models regarding the cone angle, weight reduction, and some other things I honestly can't remember.

All in all, I have been very happy with all three of the Legend boats I've had. I certainly understand it's unfortunate that the boat got stress cracks as they should not occur and such a costly object. However, I've seen them and other brands boats too. I was co-anglering the FLW and was in a 2015 ranger 521c that had stress cracks and two different places as well. And as we all know Rangers are as well built and durable of a boat as they come, and have stood the test of time. Sometimes things just happen.

Buy the boat that fits you, and your, wants and needs the best. There is no wrong choice. There are too many morons out there with that bumper sticker of that little kid pissing on stuff! And always keep in mind the majority of people that get on the forum to give a review are here to piss and moan. There's always far more motivation behind negative feedback than positive. If everything's perfect most people don't say anything.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to hit me up anytime.
    Last edited by Craigjc00; 02-23-2017 at 04:12 PM.

3. Member
    Craig... Nice post. I'm glad to see Legend fixed the early hiccups. I have a 2016 V20 and absolutely love it. I had 5 Rangers prior. They all had some issues. Some worse than anything I've heard on this board. The V 20 is great layout / design. I'm already planning on another Legend in 2019.

The mere fact that I even have the capacity, and the means to own a bass boat is a gift from God.

Blessed man to know this!!

Really good info Craig...Thanks for sharing...

Stress cracks are going to happen...I don't think there is a glass boat brand out there than can honestly claim that they have never had stress cracks...However, the early model V20s apparently had something structurally wrong with them. Glad to know they have gotten the issue fixed. The V20 is the best riding boat that I have ever been in.

No way I'd ever own another one. I had a horror story with mine and almost had to get a lawyer. They told me mine was fixed and come to find out they never touched it. Last week at the FLW Costa a guy who I won't mention his name told me he idled over a rock and the boat started leaking. He took it and got it "fixed" and it was leaking worse after they "fixed" it. If you want a solid boat buy a cat or Phoenix and be done with it

7. Member
    That's great info Joey. I better sell mine and buy a Cat or Phoenix right away. With all your class I can not believe a lawyer wasn't necessary. Buy a bumble bee they are over the top Great!

Im sure you'd be happy to lose $20,000 on a boat. And im just stating facts��

9. Member
    I am sure you are...

10. Member
    I looked hard at Phoenix...they looked on par with Nitro. Coming from a Ranger I couldn't get past several build quality deficiencies I saw on the Phoenix. They may have a good hull design but they're lacking in several areas.

11. Member
    I ran 9 basscat 20' boats. Very well Built! I have not a single comparison with Legend where BC wins hands Down! Both great builds !

12. Member
    The one thing I have learned in my years of new boat buying is never order one, as you don't know what you will get. I made that mistake with a Skeeter. Find one you like, regardless of the brand, and go over it several times. If it has build issues, move on.

I talked to a guy this weekend...Said Legend has had his 15 model V20 for 6 months now but at least they are building him a new hull...No loaner boat though...

14. Member
    I have a 2016 v-20 that I bought at Smi Marine in 2015 one of the first 16 built . I love my v-20 any problem I have ever had with it Smi and Legend has bent over backwards to take care of me. Layout,fit and finish is where it stands out. The ride is great in rough water as well as handling great. It is not a speed demon but tourment loaded mine will run 70-71. That is fast enough for me. Just ordered my new 2017 last week. Tim at Smi Marine made me a trade offer I could not pass up.

I have read some negative posts about how Legend has took care of there customers but any issues I have ever had has been extremely positive. I thought about trying a Ranger but with the way Legend and Smi has treated me I will not go anywhere.

I live in Ky if anyone is looking at buying a v-20 you can pm me. I will tell you my whole experience with Legend and try to answer any question you have about Legend or the v-20.

15. Member
    Joey Romano....you clearly are missing my point.
    Last edited by Craigjc00; 03-09-2017 at 08:16 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I looked hard at Phoenix...they looked on par with Nitro. Coming from a Ranger I couldn't get past several build quality deficiencies I saw on the Phoenix. They may have a good hull design but they're lacking in several areas.
    What quality build deficiencies are you referring to?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dks300 View Post
    Let me fill in the blanks for you. He insisted on buying a Phoenix with an Evinrude, and bypassing the local dealer. When Phoenix declined to participate, he got Legend to do it with a Yamaha.That is when Phoenix developed a "build quality" issue if you know what I mean.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dks300 View Post
    Get down in the compartments and look inside the hull/topcap, you will notice a big difference on how a phoenix is finished out compared to a legend, places that you can't readily see or they think you can see, out of sight out of mind.

19. Member
    Last thing you want to do is get Phoenix owners involved
    Nitro z21

20. Member
    Really.... I was set on a Yamaha SHO from the beginning. I bought from Weidas and could of easily went with Phoenix. They sell both. I did not like the Phoenix console (mainly the soft rubber /plastic dash) and cheap switches at the console. Same for the bow. I also thought the carpet was a lesser grade. I looked at many Phoenix boats at tournament weigh ins that were a few years old and the carpet looked rough. I'm not saying they're a bad boat but the fit and finish was not what I was looking for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast