Deck strap install

My boat came with the wide velcro styled Rod saver and was always kind of in the way or catching a foot on it. I bought the cheap rubber bungee styled to replace with, but figured I would ask if anyone had recommendations for placement. Close to the front, further back and so on. How much tension should I put on these things?

2. Member
    What boat??

Lay some rods on the deck and see where it would be best? You don't want the things stretched or they'll wear out faster. Just lay it out straight and that's where you want it, the rods under it will provide enough tension once it's installed.

Just enough tension so it does not come unhooked when nothing is under them. Put them where it is easy to reach when fishing.

If you get tired of stepping on the metal loop that the hook of the bungee fits in, get some webbed material and cut it in the shape of a bow tie. Burnt he edges so it won't fray. Then, fold in half and use one of the holes where the metal loop was mounted and one of the screw. Put the screw through the wide end of the webbing and screw it to the deck. Then, hook the bungee to it to hold your rods down. It's nice to not be stepping on that darn metal loop all the time.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I installed these on my RT188. I got tired of the loop catching my shoes and was not impressed with the rubber strap itself. These retractable style are nice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the responses. Those retractable straps are cool Ryan. I mounted the straps a little further back since its on a 175 Tracker deck. Things seemed crowded with them too far forward, but can't have rod tips staring at the passenger.

This is a link to my approach to rod straps on my RT188. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=785291

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Ryan View Post
    I installed these on my RT188. I got tired of the loop catching my shoes and was not impressed with the rubber strap itself. These retractable style are nice
    Ranger Ryan, Any chance you have a pic with the top rail in it? I am trying to get an idea of where you mounted it. I have a pair, just haven't had time to make the cuts yet. Thank You
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

Quote Originally Posted by Kelster1574 View Post
    Ranger Ryan, Any chance you have a pic with the top rail in it? I am trying to get an idea of where you mounted it. I have a pair, just haven't had time to make the cuts yet. Thank You
    I'll get pic shortly & post it

Sweet, Thank You
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo