1990 Johnson GT 200

Today while on the lake, it started right up and ran great. Got to first spot and shut her off. Fished for about 30-40 minutes and cranked her to move. It started but immediately stalled and would not fire again. It jut kept on cranking. The primer bulb got soft after I cranked on the engine, but I think it always does that. When I squeezed the primer bulb, I could hear the fuel going to carbs and could smell it a little bit. Would not start. Got all the way back to ramp and when putting it back on trailer, I noticed fuel in the water not a lot but enough to see a rainbow look on the surface around the rear of the trailer and transom.

Drove an hour home and hooked it up to the hose pipe. Fired right up!! After squeezing bulb three times. Let it run for a few minutes and then let it sit for an hour. This time I did not squeeze bulb and it still fired right up. Neighbor thought it was the fuel pump or diaphragm. He said he could see the fuel filter emptying. But she just kept running fine.

What is going on? I don't want to get stuck again. What should I look for or replace. Fuel filter?

thanks
    Last edited by CJL488; 02-20-2017 at 06:42 PM.

2. Member
    Checked and rechecked safety switch and made sure it was nuetral many times. Did not overheat and was pumping water from cowl. The initial drive was short but long enough to make it an hour back to the launch by trolling motor. Unlike my evinrude vindicator the Johnson is not cold natured.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sounds like the pack, trim it up out of the H20 when it won't fire just enough for the prop hub to break the water's surface give it a few cranks with out choke and see if it busts off, if it does, Power pack.

4. Member
    I will try this this week on the lake. I started googling "runs on muff but not in water" and it has me nervous it's something worse. It ran great right before this.

If the power pack pack is causing this, can I start it out of the water like you said and then trim it down? Would it stay running?

Thanks and I apologize for so many basic questions
    Last edited by CJL488; 02-21-2017 at 05:58 AM.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    By trimming up out of the water you are removing the water's back pressure on the exhaust system. It should stay running once it is fired up.