Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Actually have already done the bunk replacement in driveway this past weekend. I have a lot of blisters and many have popped. Was going to lift off and start repairing. While waiting for supplies to come in would give me sufficient time to let hull dry out (80deg in garage). Seen several post but scared to lift totally off in garage. Not many other options but to fix for <1k or pay the 4K to repair it. Don't want to sell a problem either. I think it's definitely slowing me down on the water and it's time to repair before it get's much worse. Unless I can get my insurance to pay for some as scratched pad up pretty good.

2. mikesxpress
    IMHO blister repair is not a home type repair. Kudo's to you for taking it on but getting the rig up on blocks and using heat lamps for drying/cure as well as spraying the barrier & gel is normally well outside of most folks abilities. And your doing all this prep/finish on your back. Shops that do this here locally are giving a year warranty on the work and the one I used was "blessed" by Ranger as an authorized glass repair shop and they used the gelcoat directly from Ranger so it matched perfectly.

3. Member
    Understand that, will keep looking for other options. I know the back work would not be easy. Thank you for your input..

4. Member
    Yea Mike this is a bad one, for sure on delamination. I use west systems blister repair procedure then top coat with factory gel. Some have elected to have me put the smart armor on the entire bottom also.

5. mikesxpress
    What is smart armor?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    What is smart armor?
    www.hullspeed.us
    Its the epoxy coating a lot of guys on tour started using for increased speed , fuel , economy. scuff protection. One of the biggest benefits are ease of launch and retreive on electric motor only lakes, or very little effort needed to power load.

7. mikesxpress
    Similar to the Gator Hull stuff that came out years ago. Issue with this type stuff is once you put it on your committed to keeping it on or having the entire hull sanded out to put normal gel back on. Website gives no warranty info??? I'm sure they get around that by citing they have no control over the application process...
    It does not prevent hull blistering but it's buried in the conflicting answer.. Surprise!!!
    From the FAQ's:
    Will HullSpeed help prevent osmotic blistering?

Yes. HullSpeed is an epoxy coating therefore providing additional protection from blistering and abrasion

So is that a yes or no??????

8. Member
    Can't see using a product which has a life span of 3-5 years. Gator Hull life time..Cost is much cheaper however just a cover up imo..

9. Member
    Bottomline, without special bunks ALL BASS boats will get this condition????very few people ever discuss this by me - don't think folks realize this can even happen.

Can you put glide slicks on top of the bunks and then the hull isn't pinned up against a wet soggy carpeted bunk? the slicks would allow the hull to have air circulate- thoughts?

10. mikesxpress
    Yes they can all get blisters.

Only a few of us that consider these boats tools to catch fish will discuss "issues" with the rig they own. Mine is just another POS boat that keeps my arse from getting wet while I try to catch those $150.00 a lb fish. Most others slick them up, hang more stuff on it than a Christmas tree, and tell you it's the best boat out there. Your not going to hear about any problems.
    Those sticks are hard poly and they are not thick enough to keep the hull off the carpet. They are snot slick though!
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.

11. Member
    I went to a Gatorbak dealer in Cincinati and he install all new pressure treated bunks and hardware with Gatorbaks covering the new bunks for about $350 on my Sterling, looks great no more worn carpet or blister worries.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaGambler View Post
    I went to a Gatorbak dealer in Cincinati and he install all new pressure treated bunks and hardware with Gatorbaks covering the new bunks for about $350 on my Sterling, looks great no more worn carpet or blister worries.
    sounds like a very fair price. I have multiple rods I paid more for.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123