Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    Lift the boat off the bunks with a floor jack, or bottle jack.
    Just enough to look between the hull and carpet.
    Repairing ( if needed ) , is a lot more complicated.
    I have never jacked a boat up off the trailer. I would think you would need to spread the weight out? If just in one spot do you chance damaging the hull in that spot?
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    I have never jacked a boat up off the trailer. I would think you would need to spread the weight out? If just in one spot do you chance damaging the hull in that spot?
    2x4 fixes that
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post
    2x4 fixes that

4. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    This particular one has pieces of gelcoat missing the size of a quarter. Once it starts breaking off no stopping it, has cracks connecting the blisters as long as my arm.
    Lots of boats have blisters but most folks don't know to check for them. A boat a year old can have them. There is no FIX available in the MFG process to prevent them. Adding a "barrier" coat aides in prevention but if your sitting on wet bunks for months at a time it's not a matter of if but when they will appear. A few have sent the boat back to the factory for repairs, set the hull back on the carpeted bunks, and less than a year later the blisters were back. **No MFG cover blistering in any warranty!!

Scotty post some good pictures of what your seeing please. Any blisters that haven't popped can contain an acidic liquid you don't want to contact with the skin. If it cracked from blister to blister to blister then water impact has delaminated the gel coat from the mat and it will all need to be removed, mat dried inside/out with lamps, barrier coat applied, re-gel coat.

5. Member
    Here is what I do, and yes I have been told i'm crazy. First off I have a pretty nice man cave which makes it easier. After every trip my boat gets backed in and all compartments open and a fan on the top. Then I jack up one side of the boat with a 4x4 and a carpeted 2x6 about 2 feet long and a bottle jack. I put a second fan under the boat blowing on the exposed bunks. the next night I move it over to the other side of the boat. The only time I don't do this is if I'm going back out the next day. It sounds like a lot of work but really its a 5 min job at the most.

6. mikesxpress
    Just get rid of the carpet and you have no issues.

7. Member
    I have a 1999 Triton and am scared to look

8. Member
    Scotty post some good pictures of what your seeing please. Any blisters that haven't popped can contain an acidic liquid you don't want to contact with the skin. If it cracked from blister to blister to blister then water impact has delaminated the gel coat from the mat and it will all need to be removed, mat dried inside/out with lamps, barrier coat applied, re-gel coat.[/QUOTE]

Pm sent

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kensafishin View Post
    I have a 1999 Triton and am scared to look
    This issue is mostly with boats 2003 and newer.

10. Member
    I know but...never know

11. Member
    Just for reference the boat at my shop is a 1998. Mikesexpress has the pics to post for me as Im a computer dummy at that stuff. Lol

12. Member
    why 2003 an newer ? was there a change with glass materials - so 2002 and earlier should be ok?

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    why 2003 an newer ? was there a change with glass materials - so 2002 and earlier should be ok?
    There was a change in the gel coat composition, older ones were supposed to have been safer. Doesn't sound like they are immune to the situation apparently.

The picture below is of one of my boats that had them. It was a 2001 model year manufactured in 2000. I have heard of many boats around the 2000 year when it started. I had two cases of the blisters and that is a big reason that I fish from an aluminum Ranger now. If the problem was fixed, they would warranty the boats longer than a year is what I believe. Catch them early if you have them....and by the way...this picture is NOT from a bunk area although that is the worst area for them.

----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

15. Member
    three weeks ago had my boat (97 ranger 354) knocked off the trailer on my way home. car hit starboard side wheel housing. trailer came loose at hitch (sheared) thank goodness. somehow boat stayed upright on pavement and slid 'bout 10 ft. finally got to fiberglass shop and when lifted found plenty of bliisters which will work out with other repairs. did not know this happened with the wet bunks deal. hmph! how to keep from happening again once fixed?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FishinSnowguy

16. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinsnowguy View Post
    three weeks ago had my boat (97 ranger 354) knocked off the trailer on my way home. car hit starboard side wheel housing. trailer came loose at hitch (sheared) thank goodness. somehow boat stayed upright on pavement and slid 'bout 10 ft. finally got to fiberglass shop and when lifted found plenty of bliisters which will work out with other repairs. did not know this happened with the wet bunks deal. hmph! how to keep from happening again once fixed?
    http://www.gatorbak.com/

17. mikesxpress
    2009 Ranger blisters.

Measels/blisters on my 2009 prior to repair. None of mine were popped. I had my entire bottom sanded to the mat, dried for a week inside/out with lamps, barrier coated, dried for 3 days, then top coated as I am keeping this rig for awhile.

Scotty blistering.
    Looks like delamination of gelcoat surrounding popped blisters. Whole bottom sand and refinish.

18. mikesxpress
    My Gatorbak's have been on longer than anyone's March 2014. I did the initial testing and installed them while my boat was in for blister repair. Being retired I fish 3-4 days a week so my unload/loading fresh/saltwater is frequent. Carpeted bunks here in Virginia stay wet for weeks/months and with my schedule/humidity even in the barn with fan running they would never dry. These bunks solved that issue as the bunks dry even in a 10 minute ride home from the ramp. The ribs hold this pig Ranger up (3500lbs wet) and it dries fast.

I did the 1st scrub on them last year with some Comet and stiff brush and they look just like when I put them on.

Before

After
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-27-2017 at 09:05 AM.

19. Member
    Can you jack the boat off the trailer from under the jackplate? Solid transom and 10in Hyd J/P. I need to remove the boat in the garage (blisters and lots-06 Triton TR20x). Never did this have lifted to remove bunks only from the pad with 4x6 wood under pad..

20. mikesxpress
    Ray what are you trying to achieve?

If your doing a under bunk inspection for blisters ask your MFG/dealer where to jack it up to clear the bunks. I hook up to the truck and put a 6X6 under the pad on my Ranger to jack on and have a couple 2X4 pieces to place between the hull and bunk when I get it up off the bunks. This stabilizes the hull while I look as it will be tittering side to side when it up off the bunks.

If your going to do a bunk replacement, get new boards/hardware and do the R&R at the ramp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast