Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New boat question - Power Poles or Talons?

I haven't bought a new boat in years and my previous boats were before the shallow water anchor. Bought a new Ranger Z520 and need to rig it with 2 shallow water anchors. Power Poles seems to be the most popular based on what I've seen at the lakes, but doing a lot of reading makes me think the Talons are the better option.

I don't need to fold them down to fit in the garage. 90% of my fishing is done with me alone on the front deck. I don't like the idea of hydraulics, I prefer the idea of electric motors, just for simplicity sake. The Talons deploy faster from what I've read.

Looking for suggestions from people who have used them. Thanks!

2. Member
    I've been seeing a lot more talons out on the west coast over the last year or so. But if customer service means anything alls I here is A plus from power pole above and beyond. Minn Kota not as good c.s minn Kota should take note. Either one will get the job done.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    POWERPOLE!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    POWERPOLE!!

WHY?

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinTX View Post
    WHY?
    Lighter weight, cleaner look, less problems, better hold (Imo), best customer service in the industry, drift paddle option, can be deployed out of way if becomes a issue for person in back of boat. Even without drift paddles will slow your drift in deep water as well as provide some stabilization in rough water. IMO the best shallow water anchor available backed by the best customer service in not just the marine industry but any industry period.

6. Member
    Buy the powepoles from k&k, great to deal with and quick shipping. Can't wait for winter to be over to try them out
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

If you fish Texoma much, and plan on getting under the walkways in the marinas, power poles are the only option.You can deploy them half way and get where you need to go.

If you fish Texoma much, and plan on getting under the walkways in the marinas, power poles are the only option.You can deploy them half way and get where you need go. I highly suggest you talk with Roy at wacky riggers before you buy anywhere else. Amazing customer service and will save you hundreds

9. Member
    Talons the only anchor that will reach 12 ft of water power poles are ok but the 10 footers are ugly and the 8 footers are too short it seems like in the last year or so talons have really exploded in popularity

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=774135 I went all out in this thread a few posts down "with my experience"

kankcustoms sells power pole. Just so you know.
    Both products are awesome and I have ran both 10' blades and 12' tallon. Both are better and worse in aspects. Just have to decide how and when your going to use them.

pp customer service is AMAZING! Have not had an issue with minnkota either tho. Pp techs seem to watch this forum to aid the customer as well MK doesn't.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 02-20-2017 at 09:02 PM.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We offer some of the best pricing on powerpole packages here on the board! Most times our pricing cant be beat. We are also the only dealer here almost 24 hours a day for you.

12. Member
    So being you have ran both in your opinion which do you prefer leaving customer service out of it.

13. Member
    I have ran both and I like the Talons more. Here are my pros and cons....

Talons

Pros: Tilt bracket for going into a garage or under stuff without having to deploy
    12ft depth
    ease of install
    12 volt, 3 wires to hook up
    Can be quickly removed for storage or other reasons
    Cons: Heavy units
    cost of brackets and locks
    Gets stuck in extreme soft bottom sometimes, but easily remedied

Power Poles

Pros: Excellent customer service
    Good holding power
    Cons: Hydraulic system, lines can get brittle and brake (mine did) fluid all over back compartment of boat
    Lengthy install process, some average Joe may need dealer to perform
    Can not just be removed randomly. long process and pumps have to be taken out too.
    Pumps take up space in back compartment

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    All 2017 model Powerpoles now come with real hydraulic hoses w pre crimped ends on both sides for true plug and play install.... so no more broken/ swelled lines..( have heard some but very few cases).
    If you can turn a wrench Powerpoles can be installed by just about any Average Joe in under 2 hours (in most cases w a 36v system, finding a spot to mount pumps will take the longest amount of time).
    Pumps can be removed if necessary only held to mounting bracket with (2) bolts.
    Pumps do in fact take up some space yes however foot print for duel pumps is approx 17 inches x 8 inches x 10 inches high.

15. Member
    I don't understand the (false) argument that a Talon is simpler than a Powerpole. Easier to hook up: yes. A hydraulic pump and ram is by far a much simpler and more reliable setup than the multi stage screw design of the Talon. There is a reason every piece of heavy equipment in the world uses hydraulic rams and not electric screws. They simply are more powerful and much less complex.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I don't understand the (false) argument that a Talon is simpler than a Powerpole. Easier to hook up: yes. A hydraulic pump and ram is by far a much simpler and more reliable setup than the multi stage screw design of the Talon. There is a reason every piece of heavy equipment in the world uses hydraulic rams and not electric screws. They simply are more powerful and much less complex.

There are pros to both you need to decide for your needs. First off how deep do you fish? My opinion is 7' or less 8' blades better, 7.1' feet of water 12' talons are better. That said I have 10' blades. I won't vote for 10' blades and that's what I own.

18. BBC Psychologist
    I chose 12ft talons and have had good experience with them. The 12ft anchors provide just as much drift resistance as the power pole with paddles in my opinion. I like being able to anchor deeper in the water. I like not having to have to store a pump in the bilge. I like having the tilt bracket option better personally but to each his own. I believe both companies have made advancements in the design and performance of both. I have friends with both. They both have pros and cons. Pick the one you like!

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychologist View Post
    I chose 12ft talons and have had good experience with them. The 12ft anchors provide just as much drift resistance as the power pole with paddles in my opinion. I like being able to anchor deeper in the water. I like not having to have to store a pump in the bilge. I like having the tilt bracket option better personally but to each his own. I believe both companies have made advancements in the design and performance of both. I have friends with both. They both have pros and cons. Pick the one you like!
    Not sure how dragging a 1 inch pole would be the same resistance as dragging a 12" x 40" board behind you but then again when not on plane you guys w talons are dragging those ungodly massive pieces of aluminum that your talons bolt to behind your boats, could be the difference.

But I have drug my 12' tallon as well. It does slow you down but if it does touch bottom at 12' it makes loud noise to spook fish. There is no way it slows you down like a paddle, or just dropping two blades into the water so the knuckle is only in 5"... Also if your drifting at 2mph the Talon will vibrate and that's loud to fish as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast