Banned

Why not Motorguide xi5 vs Ultrex with Lowrance

I see a lot of Lowrance guys talking about the Ultrex. Why choose an Ultrex instead of a wireless X5 Motorguide? The X5 can integrate with the HDS units and anchor, make trails, etc. More curious than anything. Can definitely see the Ultrex if you're running birds.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I love my Lowrance HDS units, however im not a motorguide fan at all. Id rather have a Ultrex and not have the ability to follow contours, then run Motorguide. I just bought a Ultrex. Really just preference and past experience w Motorguide products for me.

I have the xi5 and love it. However other people don't like the wirless pedal.
    You have to look at the head to see what way your going to be driving.
    It also takes some coordination.
    I would like the ultrex mount so I wouldn't have to use a slide mount.
    Other than that my xi5 will do pretty much everything the ultrex will do.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I have the xi5 and love it. However other people don't like the wirless pedal.
    You have to look at the head to see what way your going to be driving.
    It also takes some coordination.
    I would like the ultrex mount so I wouldn't have to use a slide mount.
    Other than that my xi5 will do pretty much everything the ultrex will do.
    Now, that makes sense to me. Not being able to feel the direction with your foot. I'm not sure if I would like that or not. Do you tend to use your remote more than the foot pedal?

5. Member
    I have lowrance hds units and got to use my new Ultrex for the first time yesterday. I believe this will be the best item I have ever bought for my boat. I bass fishing and crappie fish. I was not so concerned with following a specific depth or contour on a graph. Besides that requires the lake master card and most of the lakes I fish are not on it. I can still save spots and record trails, up to 2 miles long, with the Ultrex controller and recall those on any trip in the future unless I record something in its spot. I think 16 of each... but don't remember the exact number.

If I did have humminbird stuff I "might" have paid for the link version... but I'm not certain I would have. I'm not sure I would use the extra link features enough. My father-in-law is a crappie fisherman and has hummingbird helix 10's and he didn't buy the link version either. On top of the extra cost of the link version of the ultrex he would have also had to buy the humminbird ethernet "hub" or whatever it's called, because his units are hooked up with ethernet already so no extra ports available without it. He probably won't even use all the features includedo in the basic version.

I like the cable steer feature, it's what I was used to but now even better with electric assist. Foot position feedback is still there with the Ultrex. I don't have to look down at the motor head to see what direction it is pointed, my foot pedal position tells me the direction it pointed just like my previous motorguide did. I love it so far and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having humminbird equipment. Just my opinion.

Joe
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 02-20-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarley View Post
    Now, that makes sense to me. Not being able to feel the direction with your foot. I'm not sure if I would like that or not. Do you tend to use your remote more than the foot pedal?

Looking at the motor doesn't bother me at all. It's second nature now.
    I end up using a combination remote and pedal but probably use the remote more often than the pedal.
    If you used the remote often on the minnkotta you would have to look at the head to see what way it's pointed also.
    You also have to take into consideration the price . One is like 1,000 dollars more than the other.
    Anthrax

If you like the FEEL of cable steer and are not willing to retain yourself on the pedal.
    You probably won't like the pedal but will love everything else.
    Anthrax

8. Member
    I've been using the XI5 for 6 months now and love it.. It's $1000 cheaper than the Ultrex.. I do use the remote more than foot control.

9. Member
    It's all about the mount for me. It is the same mount as the Fortrex. Bullet proof. Proven. Reliable. The power assist steering is also nice.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

10. Banned
    biggest complaint ive seen on the MG is the pedal

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Looking at the motor doesn't bother me at all. It's second nature now.
    I end up using a combination remote and pedal but probably use the remote more often than the pedal.
    If you used the remote often on the minnkotta you would have to look at the head to see what way it's pointed also.
    You also have to take into consideration the price . One is like 1,000 dollars more than the other.
    The price was my biggest thing, too. Seems like the functionality of the Xi5 is on-par with the Ultrex, and even better with the Lowrance integration. Couldn't justify the $1000 price difference.

12. Banned
    This may belong in a new thread, but guys with either TM, do you still use your powerpoles or talons as often as before?

13. Member
    The competition of the Xi5 from Minnkota would be the terrova. Although the Ultrex does everything the Xi5 does, you are paying that extra in order to have the power assist that gives you the ability to have an electric steer motor with the feel of a cable driven TM. These are not even close to the same motors so this is not an apples to apples comparison.

With the updates to the Terrova, I would think it is every bit as capable as the XI5. Then, you have the Ultrex as the flagship motor with absolutely no competition in the bass fishing scene at the moment. I'm not running out to replace my Terrova with an Ultrex because I've gotten used the slower turning times that others just can't seem to over look.

Bigmarley, Having a Terrova and a Talon on my boat, I would not say this TM replaces the shallow water anchor in all situations but I no longer see a need for anything more than an 8 foot talon nor do I believe 2 of them would be required (still could be nice though). Last year was my first year with both. The Talon is instantaneous. If you hit spot lock with the Terrova or Ultrex, the boat will still need to be positioned properly before you hit the button around a dock as the motor will move the boat around until it can get back to the spot you clicked the button. If you are drifting with the wind and hit spot lock, the boat will have to turn around before it starts holding you there which could be bad if you are dock fishing and too close to the structure. The talon is a push of a button and you're done.

Also, in my experience if you hit spot lock in thicker vegetation (not sitting on the top but alive and well under the surface), the prop could get chocked out and stop spinning which has happened to me a few times. so IMO, a talon still has its place and time for waters between 1-6 feet. So I use an 8 foot talon in 1-6 and then the terrova for anything more.

This may belong in a new thread, but guys with either TM, do you still use your powerpoles or talons as often as before?
    ....you should start another thread. would be good to be searchable. great question.

I just purchased the motor guide Xi5 and the grand more for Ultrex would have been a huge stumbling block for me had I considered either/or.
    I am a Motor Guide fan though and not a Minn Kota fan. To each his own. (Minn Kota has the button on the wrong side....)
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I just got my ultrex however I will always use my Powerpoles instead of spotlock in depths where the poles will hold. I don't want the noise of the trolling motor kicking on and off and chopping weeds etc. Poles are pinned your rock solid, in shallow water poles are invaluable, in depths where the poles wont hold spot lock is spot on the best of both worlds now. When im fishing in depths where my poles wont hold (7 foot plus) I am no longer concerned as much about the motor noise. My poles are also invaluable for launching by myself.

16. Member
    i just integrated my Xi5 with my Gen 3s last weekend. Must say it is pretty cool. I have had the Xi5 for about a year. I used the foot pedal one day. Stays in the van now. I updated one unit to v4.5 It seems to freeze the unit sometimes when I bring up the controls on it for the trolling motor. No issues with the bow unit running v4.0

I've had my Xi5 tied to my lowrance gen 2 touch units for about a year now. I normally crappie fish so I use heading with cruise control. I'm able to look at the lowrance units and tell speed which give me more control of my baits. Anchor lock is a great feature and I'll use it in deeper water. Shallow water I still use my talons.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

18. Banned
    Yes, In shallow water I don't want the TM running all the time.