Gelcoat oxidation issues

I've been fighting with my gel-coat for a couple years now and I need some local help. It's not in real bad shape (IMO). I have wet sanded, buffed and waxed it to the point where it looks beautiful then a few month later the oxidation starts coming back. There has got to be someone local who can redue this for me so that a new coat of wax will keep it looking good. Can someone please recommend someone local who can fix this.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

2. Member
    I've seen Protec products work wonders on oxidized gel coat. It's a DIY kit.
    05’ Skeeter TZX200, Yamaha 200hp HPDI
    00’ Skeeter SX186, Yamaha 150hp VMax.
    PRO-FORMANCE FISHING TEAM.

Check out marine plus Derek has a rack to put your boat on to get it right.

http://www.marineplusllc.com/
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.”

4. Member
    Thank you SkeeterSD - I do have the Protec kit and tried that. Looked great after I was done but a few weeks later the ox came back. Maybe I didn't follow the procedures right and I may try it one more time. Anyone else, just looking for options.
    propp26 - I will give them a call and see if they do work on bass boats.

If anyone else knows a good gel-coat guy or company maybe a little closer to B-more, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks guys.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

Chico you need to be sure you are sanding deep enough to get all the oxidation to release from the pores in the gelcoat.

The hazy finish in the gelcoat you see is a white powdery substance created from a chemical breakdown in the polyesters in reaction to the UV rays of the sun constantly heating the gelcoat.
    Darker gelcoat finishes, blues, blacks etc, are much more susceptible to oxidation as they heat up faster than lighter colors.

It's basically plastic rust.

You need a mechanical solution to open the pores in the gel, which the sanding creates, then the water flushes the powdery substance out of the pores. You need to sand until the water runs perfectly clear of the gelcoat.
    Once a boat is oxidized it needs to be kept completely sealed with Pro-Tec or a heavy duty carnauba wax as the gel is more susceptible to oxidation, like your skin is to sunburn after you hare had a bad burn.
    Generally if the gel is in decent condition and you have sanded deep enough to get all the oxidation removed you should get more than a few months out of it. usually a couple of years at least.

6. Member
    Thank you BASSCAT7. I did this several years ago but had no idea I would need to redue it so soon (been fighting it for a few years now). My boat color is a dark blue, so that makes sense with the oxidation showing up much easier. I guess as soon as I get her back from the shop for her yearly maintenance, ill get working on the wet sanding and buffing. So you say I should apply Pro-Tec or a heavy duty wax. It's one or the other?
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

You can apply one or the other, or both.

Pro -Tec is a polymer and will bond to the polyester gelcoat. Apply after wet sanding and thoroughly rinsing the gel. It needs 2 coats, applied 24 hours apart and should last for 3 - 6 months depending on how much sun the gel gets. You can also apply a hard carnauba wax on top of the pro - Tec for added protection. Or, use a quick spray wax for wipe down every time you get off the water.

Straight Wax alone does not last that long on an bass boat in the summer, between the heat and friction it starts to fade off in 4 - 8 weeks or so if the boat is used regularly. When air temps hit the high 90's it will start to have an effect on the wax.

3 things are needed for Oxidation to occur :

Oxygen, Heat and UV radiation.

Eliminate one of the three and you will slow down the process.

A good wax or sealant will help to eliminate this. This wax/sealer layer diffuses (refracts) both UV and infrared radiation from the sun.

Without the wax/sealant coating, the radiation is absorbed by the pigment in the gel coat causing it to over heat, once the gel gets too hot a chemical reaction process starts that will dry out, dull and oxidize the surface.
    Once oxidation gets too bad, the actual clear Gel coat will start to turn cloudy. This is a combination of a chemical breakdown in the gel that causes the powdery white dust to form ( plastic rust ) and any other surface contaminants ( dirt/pollution,etc).
    This powdery substance will settle in the pores in the gelcoat, this is why you see the whitish, dull looking areas on boats that are not kept waxed.

It is a lot of maintenance to keep a boat looking good that was badly oxidized...unlike new gelcoat, where a good coat of wax/sealer twice a year would be ok, damaged gel needs to be protected even more.

Each boat is different in the extent of the damage so what works for one , quite possibly won't work or another. Most boats that had thicker clear gel and the oxidation was able to be completely removed, the finish protected will usually stay glossy.

The best carnauba paste wax is Collonite Heavy Duty Fleetwax, it's used by all the saltwater guys, tested to last the longest.

http://www.waxbytes.com/marine.html

8. Member
    What brand of boat do you have some dont have enough clear on them for multiple wet sandings.

9. Member
    Here's another polymer based product for boats... http://www.btsproducts.com/

10. Member
    Sorry for late response. I have a 2001 Ranger 520. Dark Blue. Thank you for the additional info BASSCAT7. Soon as I get the boat back from the shop, I will but the elbows to work.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti