Anyone camp in a half-ton towable rig?

We will be in the market for a camper this spring. We have two kids so the wife wants bunk beds and it needs to be half ton towable. Does anyone have any experience with Bullet rv's (or any other brand that you pull with a half ton truck)? If so, what are your likes and dislikes? 90% of the time it will be pulled less than 10 miles to the lake but a couple of times a year we'll pull 70ish miles to camp at a different lake.

2. Banned
    Please remember that not all half ton trucks are created equal. Most have springing like an old Crown Victoria and are more for looks than for hauling or towing.

You've got to get the Max Tow package, RV package and the heaviest springs before you can get much over 5000 lbs. towability. You'll need to look on the door post of your truck to see what the "CCC" says--pounds you can tow. And remember to add the weight of all your "stuff", family, fuel and trailer tongue weight to the weight carrying capability of the truck.

For a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck, look at the travel trailers of Grand Design. They also have a lightweight series of fifth wheel trailers that are half ton capable. Otherwise, look at a hybrid trailer that's half travel trailer and half pop up.

3. Banned
    Take a look at Jayco travel trailers also.

My brother has a small towable that he pulls with his 1/2 ton ..... but it doesn't have bunk beds and would be a little small with kids. A lot depends on what engine you have also. He has a small 8 in his and gets a lot worse fuel mileage than my 1 Ton diesel.
    I let him use my truck to pull the camper on one trip and the difference in HP and torque of the diesel with better fuel economy amazed him.

A lot of the new trucks have more towing and payload capacity, however.

Do you know the tow capacity ratings for your truck .... what engine?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies! My truck is a 5.3L Silverado with tow rating of 7800lbs

6. Member
    Open range has some really nice lightweight travel trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Please remember that not all half ton trucks are created equal. Most have springing like an old Crown Victoria and are more for looks than for hauling or towing.

You've got to get the Max Tow package, RV package and the heaviest springs before you can get much over 5000 lbs. towability. You'll need to look on the door post of your truck to see what the "CCC" says--pounds you can tow. And remember to add the weight of all your "stuff", family, fuel and trailer tongue weight to the weight carrying capability of the truck.

For a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck, look at the travel trailers of Grand Design. They also have a lightweight series of fifth wheel trailers that are half ton capable. Otherwise, look at a hybrid trailer that's half travel trailer and half pop up.
    Where are you seeing this light weigher series of 5th from Grand Design? I went to look at the lightest one is over 8000 lb empty. Yes, you can get a Chevy half-ton that can tow 11,000 lbs but that's not the typical configuration and not what the OP has either.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3 that I purchased not knowing that I was going to buy a camper. I ended up buying a 2017 North Trail 24 BHS. It weighs about 5400 lbs, and I don't have any problems towing it. Like you, I only go anywhere from 30 to 100 miles to camp, and get about 12 miles per gallon. The truck has a 3.08 rear gear, and is good for towing 6800 lbs. I wish I had a 3/4 ton, but I am OK with what I have . Truck tows just fine, and the first time I towed a camper was 350 miles from Ohio back to Illinois. With equalizing hitch, truck sits as level as towing nothing at all. We take camper to lake, and then I usually go back home for boat. Like I said, we don't go far to camp. Wife loves camper, especially with grandkids. Bunkbeds work out great. North Trail is a lightweight camper like Bullet, but I looked at both. Good luck.

9. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Open range has some really nice lightweight travel trailers.
    I had an Open Range Light 25 ft 5th wheel I towed with my Ecoboost F150 5 1/2 ft bed. It was great. It had a factory gooseneck attachment and I had the turnover ball in the truck bed.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

10. Banned
    I tow a Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL with my Ram 1500. I'm pretty much at the limit for my truck.

I tow a Keystone Premier 31BHPR with our 2011 F-150 EcoBoost. Does a great job, trailer has a dry weight on 6100 pounds.