Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex questions

I've read a few of the posts on here regarding the best thing since underwear, I'm in need of some clarification before I move forward with a purchase though.
    First and foremost, those of you that have the Ultrex what are your overall thoughts on the unit? Pros/cons? Which unit you have?
    Besides not chatting with my 1199 what else am I giving up if I choose the lesser of the 2 models and go without the ipilot link unit?
    What are the differences in the remotes?
    If I choose the base model (without link) do I need any other cables or parts?
    Does anyone have one installed in a Triton recessed tray? Does it fit OK?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    I have the 80 45" on my ranger. no link awesome motor don't see any cons except price but its nice. use the remote some and pedal some together

I have an 80/45 non link. Have had it since November and have had it out about 22 times. I don't know that I have a negative about it. The best way to think of it is as a Fortrex with spot lock/GPS, which is really sort of how I use it. I haven't used the remote since I got it and calibrated it and made sure the jog feature worked. Even using it in my simple way I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Spot lock is so much quitter than I was expecting and it's so easy to use with the button for spot lock on the foot pedal base. Steering takes a couple of days to get used to if you are used to a cable steer with a lot of tension.

I have HBs and the two features I wish I had is the circle way point and the retrace (where it will back track your current HB track). The other features sound interesting but I'm not sure I'd use them and Lakemaster doesn't have a couple of lakes I fish in NE mapped.

4. Member
    Yes it will fit in your tray. I have a TR-196 as well. If you don't get the link but still want to use the US2 then you need the short cable adapter only. I have the lesser one because I have Lowrance on my boat. As far as best thing since underwear absolutely! I have twin power poles, 3 Lowrance HDS units and Hyd. Jackplate and I love all those but I will say this is the best accessory buy I have ever made.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

5. Member
    I have a 80lb. 45" shaft non link. The trolling motor is impressive to say the least. Spot lock is an absolute game changer. One of the neatest features to me is if you are within a 1/4 mile of a saved spot location and hit go to that specific saved spot lock the trolling motor takes you straight to it and doesn't mess around, the motor will kick up to speed 10 and automatically slow the speed down when you get close to the saved spot lock and hold you right there. The I pilot track record feature is also very useful. The cons to me are the foot pedal is a lot faster than the fortrex, easy to oversteer but will just take some time to get used to. The pull cable for deploying and stowing can snag on the rubber wire grommet coming off the top of the mount, so you have to watch that. That is the biggest flaw I see in it. For me the pros far out weigh the cons.

no complaints yet! only used it this weekend both days and it was fun! I fished on a deep brush pile for crappie for over an hour and never lost my spot lock in a good wind. It's BA!! and well worth the investment
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

Quote Originally Posted by jerkbait fan View Post
    I have a 80lb. 45" shaft non link. The trolling motor is impressive to say the least. Spot lock is an absolute game changer. One of the neatest features to me is if you are within a 1/4 mile of a saved spot location and hit go to that specific saved spot lock the trolling motor takes you straight to it and doesn't mess around, the motor will kick up to speed 10 and automatically slow the speed down when you get close to the saved spot lock and hold you right there. The I pilot track record feature is also very useful. The cons to me are the foot pedal is a lot faster than the fortrex, easy to oversteer but will just take some time to get used to. The pull cable for deploying and stowing can snag on the rubber wire grommet coming off the top of the mount, so you have to watch that. That is the biggest flaw I see in it. For me the pros far out weigh the cons.
    I agree on the cable! it's a little in the way and way to long! I need to shorten mine
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

8. Member
    What do you give up by not linking:

1. 2,734 more spot lock locations
    2. 34 more saved iTracks
    3. Follow the contour on a Lakemaster or Autochart map. You'd have the option of choosing direction, how far off of the contour line to track (0-300 feet deeper or shallower), and speed (in 1/2 prop speed increments, or in 0.1mph increments when using cruise control
    4. Circle mode to circle a waypoint at a radius of I think 0-300 feet, direction of choice and speed of choice.
    5. Full control of the trolling motor from a compatible Humminbird

9. Member
    I have a Triton TRX-21 the pedal fits fine in the recess. I think I may add about a 1" shim under it as the prop and auto pilot buttons are a little under the deck. I agree, the spot lock is incredible. I tightlined for crappie this weekend in over 20' of water with no issues, bumping the boat around over the bed with the jog buttons. I mounted my 360 with a mount from Jeff Mckeighen (great product!). I also used the cruise control and follow the contour to troll and sidescan the creeks to find and mark beds along the creek channel. I've had around 8 trips now and I am very pleased.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Besides not chatting with my 1199
    Where did you see this information???? website clearly states "legacy models" are compatible. Please fill me in, cause i am planning on using my 1199 with the link

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/iPilotLinkCompatibility/

11. Member
    It works Ethernet to my 1199 and 998 just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy7 View Post
    Where did you see this information???? website clearly states "legacy models" are compatible. Please fill me in, cause i am planning on using my 1199 with the link

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy7 View Post

he is talking a bout the 2 different models of the ultrex they have one with Ipilot and one with Ipilot-link the one without is $100 cheaper
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

13. Member
    sorry, i reread his statement, i misinterpreted it wrong. :)

phew

14. Banned
    if you have humminbird units there is really no reason to not get the ipilot link model IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    if you have humminbird units there is really no reason to not get the ipilot link model IMO
    I am also trying to decide on which one to get. i have 898, 899, helix 10 si, and helix 10di, and 360 all linked. you can only link up to 5 things so im maxed out. i dont think i would use the Link for the ultrex that much and i would have to take one of the graphs out of the link. i really see the value of the ultrex mostly in the spotlock feature. I dont see the value in $100 for a feature i would never use.

16. Member
    You can always add another 5 port ethernet switch

17. Member
    I just tried my 112 52inch yesterday for the first time. Coming from a 80 45inch fortrex. Spot lock is awesome! Now that being said it is nothing like a fortrex its loud as hell and pedal is way to sensitive. I fish a lot of shallow water and will probably put my fortrex back on and only use the ultrex when fishing big lakes and deep. Also kinda regretting getting the 52inch shaft it sits really high when deployed. Just my opinion on it so far.

18. Member
    La Boy give it some more try's before going to that extreme and pulling it off. There was a getting used to pedal I did experiment with changing the tension some and it helped. Also after using it a couple of times the sensitive went away for me. Remember the slower you move the pedal the slower the head moves. That was one of the reason I increase the tension so that if required a little more effort before it reacted. Also the noise I noticed it the first day or two now the only time I notice it when in spot lock and it is making a large correction. Also I fish shallow and I can tell you I beat the heck out of a trolling motor and so far it has taken it very well. I remember reading on here someone selling their boat with the comment no marks on the trolling motor! Mine had marks of courage after the first 15 minutes.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS24-7 View Post
    I am also trying to decide on which one to get. i have 898, 899, helix 10 si, and helix 10di, and 360 all linked. you can only link up to 5 things so im maxed out. i dont think i would use the Link for the ultrex that much and i would have to take one of the graphs out of the link. i really see the value of the ultrex mostly in the spotlock feature. I dont see the value in $100 for a feature i would never use.
    like ntslam said....just add another 5 port hub. you can have several

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    like ntslam said....just add another 5 port hub. you can have several
    that would be another $200 for the use of one port

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast